another solution for the terralux ministar 2 and minimag heatsinking...

dangee

Newly Enlightened
as the terralux mini star 2ex (tle5) can get warm especially when using lithiums, a proper heatsink is in order. once one understands the importance of removing as much heat from the diode (and any electronic device) as possible for the projected life hours of the die, one can see many mods with luxeons and crees need proper heat sinking. i have built several led mods and always revert to using the minimag. now that i am using the terralux mini star, i decided it could use a more efficient way to sink out some heat for durability. currently in the making is a brass heatsink that will replace the "do not remove" plastic piece on the mag. i thought designing it to be exactly like the plastic piece will offer the best solution. i intend to solder on solid brass lugs to the shim that will fit securly into the internal piece within the battery tube and design the sinking to also incorperate the anode wire leading from the terralux. and some type of insulation between the two small anode /cathode holes. this will effectivly sink away heat directly from the die itself. noticabley cooler temps at the emitter base. i will punch up some images when the sink is complete. this is more of a 'fyi" as another idea for those that enjoy modding...

dangee

Newly Enlightened
solid brass. oem piece on left has a broken lug.
IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

Last edited: