Disappointed in UltraStinger during Confrontation

axolotls

Enlightened
Last night, I heard a strange sound outside. Sounded like something was decompressing. Went outside, nothing... Heard it behind me. Turned on the U/S and spotted a trespasser in my backyard.

I immediately assumed a defensive position and illuminated he-who-dares-to-invade-my-space.

OK, it was a raccoon. On his back. Rolling around and grooming his cojones. Not once did he acknowledge my existence. My powerful UltraStinger might as well have been a birthday candle. Three feet from his head the mighty torched blazed upon the bandit's face... as I asked him why he was tearing up my lawn over the past few weeks.

Smarmy *******. He kept licking his you-know-whats..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
Raccoons come to check out the trash can under my bedroom window.

My advice. They are easily turned away by the high beam of a Surefire 10X Dominator.

Sorry Streamlight.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I find that coons are best dealt with a .22CB cap round - not loud enough to wake the neighbors, but enough to do the job with good round placement

axolotls

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
2dogs said:
ax you would probably do the same thing if you could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

axolotls

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
I find that coons are best dealt with a .22CB cap round - not loud enough to wake the neighbors, but enough to do the job with good round placement

[/ QUOTE ]

.22CB Works quite well (unless you only have a semi-auto). Especially during these hot Kalifornia nights when people run their air conditioners at night.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Disappointed in UltraStinger during Confrontat

when will you fools learn to not solve all your problems with murder?

Floating Spots

Enlightened

The cap round won't break the skin of an animal.
Mine were less powerful than my BB gun.
They only have the primer and no powder and a very light bullet.

Obviously, you have to assume that anything you shoot at will die, but they are not very powerful.
Actually, the muzzle velocity is slow enough you can watch the bullet fly...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

brightnorm, that's interesting. I posted a long time ago asking for experiences with bears and bright lights but got no responses..perhaps the time has grown ripe now that more people are carrying brighter lights into the woods?
Have any others had experiences driving off varmints with lights? or lasers?

axolotls

Enlightened

I am going to hook up the valves of sprinkler system to a motion sensor (spare X10 pro wireless/modules lying around).

It'll be less effort than a garden hose and more entertaining.

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened

Too bad you're not in Canada you could get one of these!
Someone must have equivalent in the US...ok, Google search found a bunch, but they want same $US as Lee Valley does $CDN! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Like this example...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

smarthome.com sells them a little cheaper here but not much cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Where I'm moving there are a lot of deer, people in otherwise normal looking suburban neighborhoods put up electric cattle fences to keep them out of the garden! but I'm considering a couple of these things...

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found black pepper to be a decent racoon deterrent. I had a nutty neighbor who fed the stupid things and they would raid my yard once they had gorged themselves next door. They always came in sniffing. A pound of black pepper scattered around the perimiter and no more bandits for the summer. Sticks and stones firecrackers and cap guns did not faze these uppity little buggers.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

You all seem to think this is normal behavior for a raccoon, so you are probably right. I've never seen one so tame.

I would have seen it as aberrant behavior and assumed it had rabies, and would have run like hell.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

My family has one of those motion sensing sprinklers, very cool! We use it to keep the racoons from eating the corn in our garden.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

The motion sensing sprinklers sounds like a good idea. But I'm still skeptical. Raccoons and birds eat a lot of sweet corn around here, and nobody I know has found a solution yet.

If this thing really works, I know a few people that would be interested.

Well I suspect an electrified fence would do the job if you don't mind the maintenance and don't mind scaring the bleep out of the neighbor's pets.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I live in a very rural location and in seven years have only seen one racoon. That they are considered a delicacy in my area might have something to do with that.