Comments, Opinion on Streamlight Propolymer 3C LED

jtice

Flashaholic
Just wondering if anyone has any info, opinions, or comments on the Streamlight Propolymer 3C LED flashlight?

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I have one and like it quite a bit. It is very bright and really floods a room with light. It of course does not have the throw of say a surefire or something, but its flood is far better than most regular lights.

Mine does not have a clicky switch, instead you push the button for temporary light, or twist the head for constant. I beleive that the new versions are supposed to have a clicker switch....not sure of that though.

Battery life is advertised as something along the lines of 300 hours or so, but I have not had mine long enough to have used it that much.

Overall it seems to be a really durable and reliable light.

jtice

Flashaholic
I would think it is.

I cant find a rating for it though. None of the review sites I know have reviewed the 3C yet.

They have reviewed the 4AA, and say it is very bright. [ 150 lux rating ]

Anyone know any specs or reviews for the 3C?

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights. I do not have a meter or any other way to determine exact output, but to be honest it is very difficult to tell which one is brighter. I got both lights at the same time and both began with fresh new batteries. When I first compared them I was thinking that the 3C would be brighter by a pretty good margin...as is I still dont know.

I dont really think that either one has enough run-time on them to have had much if any effect on the batteries, so in a little while I will try to set something up for a quick side-by-side beam shot.

jtice

Flashaholic
RichardMT......

I am betting that the brightness seems to be about the same... but the 3C has a much larger beam focus right?

What is your opinion on the 3C's light output, as far as distance goes? What do YOU think its effective range is.

What would you rather have as far as light output? --- a 2D Maglight... or the 3C Streamlight?

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
jtice, I would like to mention ffirst off that I am pretty new to flashlights as far as trying to learn about them and have never done any type of real review on them. I will however try to give my impressions as accurately as possible. Hopefully the regular flashlight reviewers will kind of help me along here.

Anyways, beam focus is larger on the 3C, but only a small amount....maybe 10% larger or so. You can see that a bit in the beam shots side-by-side, but as a practical matter (actual use) it is doubtful you would notice a difference at all.

The 3C output for distance is about 50 feet. The 50' figure is a distance at which I can clearly identify an object I am lighting up. I can light up objects approximately 80' away, however unless it is a very distinctive object then things are not readily identifiable, just slightly illuminated "stuff".

For most things I might use a light for...power outages, going outside at night to check on things (live out in the country with no artificial light other than our light pole) the I definately prefer the 3C for its ability to light up a nice area instead of just a small point. In other words I dont have to re-aim the light much at all to get a good idea of my surroundings.

If I simply need distance with little concern for area, then the mag-lite would be the way to go. Although since I have no intention of lugging both of them outside with me, I will choose the 3C everytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ANyways, some photos of beamshots. Click on my album link and go to flashlights. The 3 pics called -SL vs SL, and -zebra 3C, and -zebra 4aa demonstrate the beams of the two streamlights.

The side-by-side was at a distance of 3 feet. The shots lighting up the painting were done at 5 feet.

I do hope this helps out a little bit.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
As I recall the runtime as stated by Streamlight is around 300 - 350 or somewhere in that area. As stated above I have not had mine long enough to know. I suppose I would probably want to change the batteries long before that time is up though.

jtice

Flashaholic
Looks good Ritchard, thanks alot.

I figured that the 3C would not do long distance stuff, but I dont really think any LED lights are that good at it.

Even though they flood light more than conventinal bulbs, I like the even smooth light output,,, and , of course,, the battery life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I ordered mine yesturday, cant wait!!!

Ill try to post some pics of my own after I get it.

P.S. I'm pretty sure the 3C is not regulated. Meaning it gradually gets dimmer, instead of all of a sudden dropping off in light output like a regulated light. Anyone know of any after market regulators for the 3C?

jtice

Flashaholic
The 3C is rated at 336 hours. You are supposed to be able to read a newsparer after 336 hours.
I will post the real actual run times after I get mine and use it to death.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I meant is how long until it is half the original brightness. I want to know if it has a rapid drop in brightness after a few hours.

jtice

Flashaholic
As far as I know,,, it gradually dims over time, because it is not regulated.

I read on a review, that the 4AA drops to 50% light output at 6 - 7 hours. I would imagine the 3C is alittle longer than that.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Pi is blue, ya got me on the half-life. I am looking forward to seeing the run-time test when jtice gets his. Im sure he will be able to let us know when a rapid drop-off occurs.

jtice

Flashaholic
RichardMT...

Your the one that owns one already...

So sit in your favorite chair, turn that bad boy on, and stare at it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I plan on useing it on the 30th, for a camping trip. ( asumming it arives in time,,, the website I ordered it from has had 37 hours, and still no confermation of sending the order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ) But I should know alot about the light after that trip.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I would love to do a run-time test on mine. However between work, wifes work and her having gone back to school, kids and their activities, new dog and all that I dont think anybody would be able to keep an eye on it on a regular basis.

Hope you get your order in a timely manner.

JustAGuy

Newly Enlightened
If I could only own one flashlight, I think this is the one I would keep. Good brightness for room- or campsite-sized work, and it lasts a LONG time. Almost the perfect emergency light, though the throw is anemic.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
I just got my SL 3C (black) today; My light has the "clickie" switch (which I was hoping to get). From what little I have "played" with it, it seems like a very good light. It's not dark here yet, so I've only been able to light up semi-dark rooms with it.

If anyone is interested, the enclosed user manual says the xenon and LED lamp modules for the 3C and 4AA models are interchangeable (I don't know if this applies to the older models with the "twist on" switch - check with Streamlight before buying the module). It's a nice feature.

I think I will be very happy with this light.

Mike