DOW...one big bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One big reason for the meteoric rise in the DOW since the early 1980s-IRAs. People weren't satisfied with the returns given by banks (and with good reason). As a result, they flocked to the stock market big time, mutual funds sprang up, in time questionable investments like CDOs and hedge funds also did. We all know the rest. IRAs aren't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, there will probably medical IRAs and other things available soon. The government started IRAs because they knew Social Security was in trouble. They'll probably do something similar with medical IRAs because Medicare is in even worse trouble. Long term the market may well start another meteoric rise. Fact is people have no place to put their money now. My savings account is giving 0.02%! The trick next time around will be to either get out before the bubble bursts again, or take advantage of market volatility by buying and selling frequently. IRAs and other tax-deferred vehicles make this much easier. You don't pay taxes every time you trade, and more importantly your tax situation doesn't become ridiculously complicated due to all those taxable trades (the reason I personally stayed out of stocks except for my IRAs).

As for when things will start to get better, I'd say we're in for a rough ride until 2020 at least. The last depression lasted that long, and it took WWII to pull us out. Of course, there are a lot of other factors here which didn't exist 80 years ago. A revolution in robotics, which is in essence very low-cost slave labor, could well make capitalism more or less obsolete.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for when things will start to get better, I'd say we're in for a rough ride until 2020 at least. The last depression lasted that long, and it took WWII to pull us out.

While things may get worse currently the situation is about the same as it was in the early 1970's and when I ask my friends who are old enough if they remember it, none of them can.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
While things may get worse currently the situation is about the same as it was in the early 1970's and when I ask my friends who are old enough if they remember it, none of them can.

Oh, I bet you will remembers this one. Dow could hit 2000...not sure how life would change...rebalancing of wealth around the world...guess if you live in South America or "third world counties" it might be remembered as the years that changed the world for the better. If you spent a bunch of money for a school so your children didn`t have to work hard...you might be looked at as enabling lazyness and greed. Some will say ...pay should be the same...the man who goes to school is rewardedd by having a easey life...not having to loose health early. The man who works with his back...looses his health and generaly has a hard life...but he builds the house.

In the end I just want a robatic wife...one that say`s...yes dear :naughty:

Empath

Flashaholic
This is an excellent topic, but the Underground is the proper place.
We'll close it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.