Dereelight DBS MC-E vs R2

bushido-sig

Newly Enlightened
I'd like your opinion please. Looking to get a light to fill my "throw" niche. After some searching, I've become intrigued with the Dereelight DBS flashlight. The problem is I can't decide between the MC-E version and the R2.

For those of you who've made the plunge, why did you decide on the MC-E or R2?

Thanks in advance.

Greg G

Enlightened
I have the DBS V3 R2-WH and it is the best thrower I own.

I don't own an MC-E version, but from what I've gleaned here looking at beamshots its hotspot is less intense....more of a floody type beam.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I have both and no longer use the R2, i ordered the 2.4a pill not the 2.1a version as if used outside as mine is the heat does not become an issue. It does get hot indoors un-held, about five minutes and its very hot but held and outside it is a very practical option. The R2 does throw further but not enough to make up for the sheer power of the MC-E. I love it.

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
This is going to be tough. 'Coz I love both lights. They really compliment ea. other. One for flood. One for throw. Sometimes I'd use them in tandem.:devil: MC-E gets the most use. R2 as backup or WTH is that over the ridge?

Actually it's like comparing apples and oranges. Why not buy both? You won't be disappointed. Problem solved.:poke::D

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have the MC-E and I've been debating on getting the R2 pill and SMO reflector. But all of that will cost like $60. Is it worth it?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my DBS with the SM reflector and an R2 pill for almost 2 years. A week ago I finally bought the MC-E pill and an OP reflector. All I can say is, BUY BOTH!! I was very impressed with the MC-E pill, a true wall of light that still reaches out as far as my TK11 R2. But it still can't beat the R2 pill with the SM in throw. Now I have been trying to find another DBS so I can have both set-up ready for use. I've been having a hard time deceiding on which pill to have in my light :confused:

And don't even get me started on the 5A Q3 warm tint :nana:

Wattnot

Enlightened
The great thing about Dereelight is that "buy both" doesn't cost you twice as much because you can buy one full light and just an extra pill and swap out when you need to! They're so different it seems like the perfect solution.

extremetito

Newly Enlightened
I find my DBS MC-E my most used light these days.
I generally use it with 2 X 18650 and the extender--I tried using the 2 X R123A arrangement, but this will last less than 30'' on high, and my walks were running a bit longer.
The R2 will run on 2 X 123A or 1 X 18650 (depending on version) very well.
Bear this in mind if form factor or compactness is an issue.

bushido-sig

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everybody. I really like Wattnut's idea of buying one full DBS and an extra pill. I'm definitely going the MC-E route first and an R2 pill later on.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DBS V1 and DBS V2. I have my DBS V1 set up with the MC-E and my DBS V2 set up with the R2. I have kept the DBS MC-E in my coat pocket most of this winter. It has been a lot of fun to pull out in the darkness and light things up. :) I'm just running 2xR123's to keep the size down.

I also have a CL1H with a 2.1A MC-E in my other coat pocket, which gives me less throw, but more fllood. I have around 900-1000 of LED lumens when they are combined. :)