LSH_P and optic scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading Peters new thread about AR-coated Lexan lens and decided to take the Lexan lens off to see if it would make much of a difference. As far as I can tell there isn't much but then I noticed that the lens has several scratches shaped like a rainbow across the optics. I can actually feel the scratches when I run my fingernail across them. I actually thought that the scratches were on the Lexan lens because I never took the lens off.

Is this produced from the manufacture or assembly of the light? Is this a defective optic? From an appearance point of view, I'm not concerned but if the optic is cracked or fractured then I would have an issue with water. When I thump the optics with my fingernail it makes a high pitch click.

Could some of you that have taken of the Lexan lens off lightly tap you fingernail against the optic and describe the sound?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your lexan looks like this?
lexan.jpg

Vince.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but mine are longer, arranged more like a rainbow and more of them. If your light were like mine then if you were to take the Lexan lens off (the plastic like film that shipped with the light) then you would see the same pattern on the optic but in more detail. You could also feel the scratches with your fingernail. It's hard for me to tell if it's just on the surface or deeper.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I don't have one of the newer LS lights so the following is just a good guess.

I think the scratches ARE on the Lexan. I believe what you removed was the thin, flexible plastic protector, which is not lexan. I believe the lexan is not removeable since it is held in place by the rim in the bezel. Perhaps you now get that click sound because the thin plastic, being soft, dulls the sound of your nail tapping it, when it's on over the lexan lens. Behind the lexan is the nx-05 optic. The Lexan is coated and I think you have a damaged lexan. I would contact Peter to resolve it.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gyverpete

You're right. The wording in Peter's post is a little confusing. I still would like to know if the scratches are normal.

Arc Flashlight FAQ Post

First sentence under Maintenance

"Please note that the LS ships with a thin plastic lens protector applied to the lexan lens (front part of flashlight). This protector can be left on or removed, it is your choice."

Last sentence under Maintenance

"The LS optics are protected by an AR-coated Lexan lens. The AR coating is silicon based and will help reduce appearance of scratches. If scratches do appear they can be buffed out with a polycarbonate polish"

Status
Not open for further replies.