Some new Milky creations...

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
Guys -

Just a quick post of a few new Milky creations I just received.

I had two A2's with red LED's that were just proving to be too bright and harsh for nighttime cockpit use. I wanted the LED's to be white, and very dim (something like bright moonlight). Enough light to work by, but not enough to ruin your night vision. Plus, white light is always better than colored light, in my opinion. Milky took my two A2's and modded the LEDs with 3mm Nichias. Dubbed the "A2 Nichia 3mm LEDectomy" on the Milky band, these are now the perfect lights for me for nighttime flying. A bright incan bulb for throw and dim and diffuse white light for in-cockpit use. Perfect. Milky made two of the for me. One hangs around my neck, the other in the flight bag as a backup.

Second up is an incredible little light called the Luna Special Reserve. I should probably let Scott weigh in here to give a better description of this one than I can, but... from his emails this is how he described it to me "it's essentially a Creemator, but uses a Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter in place of the Cree... output is about the same, maybe just marginally less, but so close as the handle the same in practice. I made it for myself to achieve a combination of high output, near-perfect tint, near-perfect beam quality, good combination of hotspot and sidespill, and surprisingly good throw for a reflectored light. It uses a domed lens and the reflector from the Novatac120 series of flashlights. The combination generates IMHO a stunning beam that would lend itself to a wide array of tasks. I'll load my custom 'Califon' firmware on the light to give you an even lower ultralow (guessing it delivers one-half lumen, similar to the amount of illumination filtered through a window on the night of a full moon) as well as a devastating strobe and ultralow locator blink." I'm still exploring all of the various options within the UI, but the size, brightness and sheer throw of this little guy is incredible. It far out-throws the strion-modded A2's...I'll try to add some beamshots over the weekend.

As always, Scott was a total pleasure to deal with, and turned around these lights quickly and with awesome communication and customer service.

DSC_0032.jpg

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mods.

Thinking of sending my U2 to Milky for some MC-E TLC..

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Id love to see some head shots of them :)

Sounds like a cool little round up you got there!

OceanView

Enlightened
I'm not sure how the power situation works with the A2, but do the new 3mm Nichias actually draw less current than the stock LED's? I mean, the light is much dimmer now than stock, so I was just wondering if you're also getting the benefit of less power consumption and even longer runtime when using the LED's? Or are the 3mm LED's just dimmer for the same power consumption as before?

Sounds like some great, and useful, mods for you. :twothumbs

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how the power situation works with the A2, but do the new 3mm Nichias actually draw less current than the stock LED's? I mean, the light is much dimmer now than stock, so I was just wondering if you're also getting the benefit of less power consumption and even longer runtime when using the LED's? Or are the 3mm LED's just dimmer for the same power consumption as before?

That's a good question that I don't have an answer for. As of now, I haven't yet changed batteries. If there is interest, I can do a run-time test. I'm guessing that they will last significantly longer than the 5mm LEDs, but I could be wrong of course. Maybe Scott will weigh in here

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Very nice lights. I'm curious: are the LEDs still direct-driven, or did Scott add circuitry in there to regulate them?