Acebeam        
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

just got mine in... it's a beauty!!
    already pressed ti sapphire into "Lanyard EDC" duties.
    displaced Surefire Titan from neck lanyard.

there's just enough room to mill slots for two tritium tubes.

wonder if a miller mod light engine will fit right in?

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    just got mine in... it's a beauty!!
    wonder if a miller mod light engine will fit right in?
    I think that it should, but how to get the LE out of the existing head without damage - there's the real question...
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Mine's here too Sorry to post a group shot but couldn't resist, I came home to three packages in the mail:
    1) Ti Aeon
    2) Ti Sapphire
    3) 2009 SF Catalogs

Last edited by brighterisbetter; 03-12-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post

there's just enough room to mill slots for two tritium tubes.
    Where do you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post
    Mine's here too Sorry to post a group shot but couldn't resist, I came home to three packages in the mail:
    1) Ti Aeon
    2) Ti Sapphire
    3) 2009 SF Catalogs
    Sensory overload!

Enlightened

My Ti Sapphire AAA has come ashore and it is a sweet little package! Really is just a perfect EDC light. Mine will be running off of lithium primaries exclusively. Been navigating my house, with the lights off, very nicely

Flashaholic

Buttrock Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

WOW very nice lights
    My two Sapphires touched down today from Maui and my Wee Ag from England, same time in the mail box, sat there all day till I got home and WOW
    What a Wonderful Day
    Thank you CPF
    Ned

i just cant leave anything alone. + i'm addicted to those high cri
    seouls...so here we go.

the light needs no review. it's pure !

Don's method of staking the board in is great. It's removable with the
    right tools(solder wick, tiny drill bit, needle nose tweezers), yet stable
    enough to prevent groundpath issues. When i'm done i'll re-stake the board
    as originally done.

the 4000K high cri p4 in the front is going in..just using an old u bin for testing.

test fit..it sits too deep..but definitly do-able.

led, small heatsink, circuit. will trim the heatsink down some..but it all fits
    with some effort.

popped the lens out. this takes 5 hands.

The inside of the head has steps. the green is the bore i need the whole
    head at so really, only the lip at the red dots needs to be ground away. the
    blue is the lip at the base of the "reflector" area. havent decided if i need to
    thin the blue area yet. depends on how the p4 sits. the hole in the "reflector"
    area is already big enough for the p4's dome.

slightly lowered circuit height. components are evenly topped out now. gives more space.

at 1.3v nimh the arc circuit was pushing 55mah to the seoul p4.
    1.7v lith..was around 80mah. heatsink might actually become usefull
    at this level.

*Flashaholic*

on both sides of lanyard hole... there's a chunk of metal available there

Quote Originally Posted by Morelite View Post
    Where do you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I did get an e-mail today about one that appears to have an off center LED. It may well be that the LED is slightly off axis but one thing I realize I had known and forgotten to mention is that these 3mm LED's are made with the die off center in the envelope. If you look straight down the envelope at the die, it is off center and the dome lens on the top of the envelope magnifies this condition. The design of the head has the LED O-ring center the LED within the head. I won't claim that any of these have a perfectly aligned (Z axis) LED but I don't think the physical restraint and design itself would allow for any significant deviation. However a sample that did have a perfectly true LED will definitely appear to have an off center die in it because that is the reality.
    I was the party that emailed Don about the LED being off center. In daylight it appeared the LED had shifted but after receiving a prompt reply from Don I verified that the LED lens was indeed protruding through the O-ring but the phosphor gave the appearance of things being out of whack.

Since Don mentioned my email anonymously here on the forum I felt I should respond to give closure to what turned out to be a non-issue.

I had to work late yesterday to participate in a telecon with the west coast (I am in eastern time zone). By the time the meeting was over it was nice and dark outside so I was able to turn off my office light and put the Sapphire in service.

I did not have a camera other than my iPhone which would not work well capturing the beam pattern against the wall. I ended up using the material at hand to capture this picture.

What you are seeing is the a picture taken by placing my iPhone on a bookshelf firing down at the Sapphire being suspended from the bookshelf by a loop of dental floss! The two strands of dental floss can be seen at the bottom of the image. The dynamic range of the iPhone camera is really poor so the hotspot totally saturated the sensor making the flashlight get lost in the image. The sapphire is actually in the center. If you look closely you may notice a shadow of a circle around the main beam -- that is NOT an artifact of the beam but is a piece of dark cardboard that I cut out in a circle to place in the hotspot to cutdown contrast so I could capture the spill pattern. Otherwise the hotspot would drive the exposure to the point that the spill would disappear.

The verdict. The Sapphire has a perfectly fine pattern despite the die offset mentioned by Don.

On the plus side the dental floss I used was "Mint Splash" so my Sapphire is now minty fresh!!!!

-Charles

Quote Originally Posted by MWClint View Post
    i just cant leave anything alone. + i'm addicted to those high cri
    seouls...so here we go.

the light needs no review. it's pure !

Don's method of staking the board in is great. It's removable with the
    right tools(solder wick, tiny drill bit, needle nose tweezers), yet stable
    enough to prevent groundpath issues. When i'm done i'll re-stake the board
    as originally done.

the 4000K high cri p4 in the front is going in..just using an old u bin for testing.

test fit..it sits too deep..but definitly do-able.

led, small heatsink, circuit. will trim the heatsink down some..but it all fits
    with some effort.

popped the lens out. this takes 5 hands.

The inside of the head has steps. the green is the bore i need the whole
    head at so really, only the lip at the red dots needs to be ground away. the
    blue is the lip at the base of the "reflector" area. havent decided if i need to
    thin the blue area yet. depends on how the p4 sits. the hole in the "reflector"
    area is already big enough for the p4's dome.

slightly lowered circuit height. components are evenly topped out now. gives more space.

at 1.3v nimh the arc circuit was pushing 55mah to the seoul p4.
    1.7v lith..was around 80mah. heatsink might actually become usefull
    at this level.
    I can't wait to see the finished product, I love those high CRI emitters too.

Don,
    Received my Sapphire yesterday. Another creation well done as always.
    Best regards,
    Barry

Well, I received my little light yesterday also. I don't speak the flashaholic language, but I will say that for a simple user this is perfect. I like the overall design, I like the fact that it is titanium, I like the fact that it is a sealed unit, and I like the floody flawless beam.

I'm blown away when I see posts like MWClint because I can't even figure out what and where that black spongy thing goes. Can anyone explain that one to me? I never owned an Arc light. I had the small Fenix light, but I couldn't get over the small purple beam. The Fenix didn't have a little spongy thing in it. For now, I don't really mind the battery rattle, I don't know if this will change after having it on the keys or not?

After receiving my Sapphire, I put a 15mm McGizzy ti split ring on it attached it to the 32mm and put it in the pocket. These split rings are awesome!

I put an industrial Energizer AAA battery in the tube. I don't fully understand the lithium/no gasses thing. I'm assuming that the lithium battery will make the beam brighter. Does it over drive the LED and shorten its life though? Seems like there might be a trade off there.

Thanks again Don for an amazing light!
    Last edited by Rico801; 03-13-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling!

Received my Ti Sapphire yesterday, along with my SPY String Ray Holester. Its like a Micro Mule that runs on everyday batts, I love it!

Thanks again Don/Peter for making this torch a reality,

-Mayo
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

Brightness from low to high:

AlTiN Mule Mizer (low) > Sapphire > AlTiN Mule Mizer (high)
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Rico,
    The foam donut mounts to the exposed face of the PCB. You peel of the paper exposing the adhesive and then press it onto the back of the head, over the PCB. It is larger in diameter than the PCB but you can scrunch it into the confines of the raised Ti lip that surrounds the PCB. This acts as a cushion forcing the battery into the back of the battery tube.

As for the differences between lithium and alkaline batteries, I will leave that to those better in the know and experience to chime in.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks Don! I figured it must stick on right there. I can see how the thickness of the spacer might make for a tight fit.

*Flashaholic*

ended up using an old Arc AAA donut from long ago.
    really like the smooth twisty feel without the foam donut. but didn't care for the battery rattling.

the current donut made it a bit stiffer to twist. vs finding a soft foam donut. which give best of both. easy to twist without battery rattle.

got the Ti Arc AAA kit in and tried both LED's. much prefer the 3mm LED's performance. 5mm seems to have a bit more throw and gives the traditional Arc AAA type beam. 3mm gives an even beam... much more useful! color of beam is more even on 3mm too.

really like my sapphire!

Recieved the kit from Arc a little while ago, but now i'm having MAJOR difficulty.
    I wanted to try both LE's. The 5mm was fine, but the 3mm was very off center so I decided to remove the lens so that I could bend the led into place which worked fine.
    What DIDN'T work fine was trying to replace the O-ring that holds the lens in place. 30 minutes of complete frustration
    I'm at my wits end. Hopefully Don will chime in with an easy tip to get that D*mn thing back in there. Pleeeeeeeeease!

Party Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    Thanks Don! I figured it must stick on right there. I can see how the thickness of the spacer might make for a tight fit.
    Took me awhile, too, to figure out where it went.
    I used a razor blade to cut the thickness in half. There is absolutely NO increase in twisting force needed and no battery rattle.

Have only played with the light in a semi-dark room, but am really looking forwards to tonight to really get an idea of its usefullness, but so far I'm really impressed.

Tim

i love my Sapphire!
    great floody beam, beautiful construction, fun to fondle and look at, so small and light, the perfect EDC 'light.
    thnx don!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottiver View Post
    Recieved the kit from Arc a little while ago, but now i'm having MAJOR difficulty.
    I wanted to try both LE's. The 5mm was fine, but the 3mm was very off center so I decided to remove the lens so that I could bend the led into place which worked fine.
    What DIDN'T work fine was trying to replace the O-ring that holds the lens in place. 30 minutes of complete frustration
    I'm at my wits end. Hopefully Don will chime in with an easy tip to get that D*mn thing back in there. Pleeeeeeeeease!
    Yes, it can be fun until you develop the "knack". Obviously you want the window seal O-ring in place and seated. You then drop in the window and make sure it is centered in the head and down on the seal. Now the trick is to keep pressure down on the window while you insert the retaining O-ring in its groove. Initially I struggled but with success using two tooth picks. I use the round fancy kind that have a ball on one end. After some muscle learning and dexterity training, I found I could do the job with one of these tooth picks. I center the tooth pick on the window with pressure down. I then introduce the retaining O-ring over the tooth pick and get one side of it down in contact with the window. With pressures still down on the window, I slide the tooth pick over and force the retaining O-ring into its groove. I then work the tooth pick around popping the O-ring into the groove. It can be quite frustrating but it is also quite doable with the right tools and techniques.

If the LED is not centered or going in on axis, you can pull the LE out of the head and bend the LED leads accordingly and look down from the top to gauge the center and axis alignment. With the 3 mm LE, I put the LED O-ring down in the head first and it serves as a guide for the LE and you can see if you are off axis because the PCB is not centered or level as you put the LE in.

I hope this helps some?!?

I think there will be a fair bit of DIY with these among some of you while others will be satisfied without lifting their leg on the light. (or squatting in all fairness to the to the fair. )
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks Don, I will keep plugging away at it.

*EDIT* I got it! The trick is definitely to push down on the lens with one tooth pick while massaging the O-ring into the groove with the other tooth pick.

Does anyone know what the 1/4" O-rings are for that were included in the Arc kit?
    Last edited by Scottiver; 03-13-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottiver View Post
    Thanks Don, I will keep plugging away at it.

*EDIT* I got it! The trick is definitely to push down on the lens with one tooth pick while massaging the O-ring into the groove with the other tooth pick.

Does anyone know what the 1/4" O-rings are for that were included in the Arc kit?
    answered in the Arc Forum

Gracias amigo!

I'm sorry if I missed this Don, but what is the size of the o-rings for the Sapphire window?
    Thank you Coach, I will hang up and listen for your answer.

Got mine today. Very cute and precious looking. And it also makes light. Wow.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Yo Don, another round coming sometime?

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by olrac View Post
    I'm sorry if I missed this Don, but what is the size of the o-rings for the Sapphire window?
    From the split view in the initial post:

If you look in the parenthesis (sp?) next to seals, it shows the metric sizes for the metric O-rings along with the one (#006) dash size, respectively from left to right..

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Yo Don, another round coming sometime?

Karl
    We're back to vapor but then these were vapor not that long ago. I would answer yes but with details still to be sorted out.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast