ArmyTek        
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

that's one of the neatest part of this design... light engine comes right out.

fast as LED development is progressing... in 3 years time... no telling what will be on our plate.

hopefully by then Arc will come out with a two stage light engine driving a P4 for Sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I was just wondering... what should we do in the case of burning out the 3mm LED whenever it should actually happen? (Probably years from now...)

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Maybe the CS version had a better beam? I had an Arc AAA with a DS emitter and an Arc AAA with some kind of white LED (can't remember what it was called..."snow" maybe?) Both of the lights had a bright ring separated from the beam by dark area. I found that if the emitter was recessed a bit more it would go away. I had the same problem with a Dorcy penlight someone gave me. I took it apart and pulled the emitter back and the ring was gone. I did really like the Arcs but it just really bothered me when I would use them.

I think you are right it should nicknamed the moondrop!
    Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    The outer ring in the beam of a bare 5mm LED definitely bothers me. I don't know if the latest Arc-AAA GS reduced/eliminated the ring when they fixed the protruding LED problem, but I bought mine before the "fix" and the ring is very pronounced. The same is true for my DS model, recent Proton microlights and Ti Killer. The lower output of the CS and earlier Arc-AAA's makes the outer ring in the beam less pronounced, but it's still there. Sinking the LED deeper into the body - as in the Fenix E01 and Ti Arc-AAA GS - appears to eliminate the ring.

I wonder how the beam from the GS would look in the Sapphire/Ti Arc-AAA body if you ground the dome, a la the SMJ LEDs?
    This may be a classic case of one user being a bit more sensitive to artifacts and I may be just less bothered by the ring. I guess it doesn't bother me too much being as far as it is to the side, but I can understand differences in tastes and I would really prefer to have zero ringiness in any of my lights, which is where I think you guys are coming from.

Just before writing my response last night I took both the Sapphire/Arc and a regular Arc and compared their rings and without a doubt the standard Arc is slightly worse. I think we're lucky to be seeing these little lights made better and better in leaps and bounds lately!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    that's one of the neatest part of this design... light engine comes right out.

fast as LED development is progressing... in 3 years time... no telling what will be on our plate.

hopefully by then Arc will come out with a two stage light engine driving a P4 for Sapphire
    I had a little fun swapping emitters on mine and I can't wait for the two (or even three) stage P4!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Interesting. I pulled out my old Arc AA LE and it does not have that outer ring. I think the LED was a BS and it has a narrow beam. Nice little light.

Bill

I carried a Arc-AAA CS for years and never noticed the outer ring either, until I got the DS. I've seen some diagrams that illustrate why the outer ring is there in the beams of 5mm LEDs. It's not a flaw in the design of the lights - just a "feature" of the LEDs.. And I don't think it's that big of a deal. I still use a recent Photon Freedom almost daily in spite of ring. But on the brighter emitters (CS Snow, DS and GS), the ring seems to frequently be in that spot of my peripheral vision that's difficult to ignore.

All that said, I very much like the design of the Sapphire head, because it recesses the LED far enough back that the outer ring is eliminated (or at least not discernable on my Ti Arc-AAA GS).

I have a bunch of Arc's but don't know which are which, only that some are brighter, but for the most part I really like them for what they are.

If I'd had an Arc anytime before a couple years ago I would have been very happy. As it is my Draco is probably my very favorite, although that is subject to change at any time!

I wanted to add that I find this light perfect for walking my dog. Lights up the area in front of me and the dog quite nicely. I'll sometimes just let it hang form a my neck lanyard while on so I can have a brighter light in my hand for spotting objects in the distance. Still loving this thing.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I admit the inclusion of the Arc driver was a bit of a concern for me but the overall package was too compelling to miss!

However, in actually using the light I find that everything is perfect and the drive level provides for a very nice bright flood that is a pleasure to use and the actual light itself is quite well-suited to neck carry and lovely to behold. Despite my original misgivings I really like this light and am convinced that (the) Don has created another masterpiece.

The fact that this light is seemingly going to be put into production by Arc is even better, as the overall design is just far too good to be limited to a single run.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I missed the wave of these, and could only drool as the reviews came in...Just picked one up on B/S/T and couldn't agree more. the 3mm is wonderful. Nice, even flood, wide angle of view, no hotspot, just beautiful. Thank you Don! Now to wait for wave 2 to hit to get one for backup!

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Any More

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Don, you look nice in pink! It makes your legs look sexy!

Great looking light Don!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Russtang,

Clearly I need to be proactive here and squelch any possibility that that is me in a pink speedo!

It is my opinion that a good key ring light should be able to go anywhere we can go and even places we can only dream about!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic*

I was GOING to post that without a few more full body shots, we can't really be SURE that's not you. Then I remembered that I am a gentleman, and that kind of statement simply would not be gentlemanly.

Naughty Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Russtang,

Clearly I need to be proactive here and squelch any possibility that that is me in a pink speedo!

It is my opinion that a good key ring light should be able to go anywhere we can go and even places we can only dream about!
    Don,

Yes most of us can only dream about such things, but you don't have to rub it in our pale untanned faces oh and .
    Still .
    Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ Kicked cancer's ass 3 times~

Russtang,

Hmm...finally I prefer the body than the light itself

Don, what marvellous creature you have in your collection of light !!
    Last edited by Frenchyled; 04-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Wow! Unfortunately my wife was looking over my shoulder when I pulled this thread up. I'm gonna be banned from CPF here pretty soon!

Since I'm already in trouble, can we get some HIGH res photos for a desktop picture?

I really appreaciate the turn this thread has taken so far.

After a third look I discovered a light in the pics.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I'm sorry, what light? I was busy counting goosebumps.

I can't quite tell the proportions and size of the light. I think we need to see the full pictture so we can get a proper perspective of the light size.

Size doesn't matter!
    Too many lights! Stop me!

What kind of camera is that?
    Peace!
    Sygyzy
    www.sygyzy.com | Hall of Fame: js, MrBulk, Litho123, Dark Zero, Lips, Milkyspit, StarHalo

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I can't quite tell the proportions and size of the light. I think we need to see the full pictture so we can get a proper perspective of the light size.
    Right!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchyled View Post
    I prefer the body than the light itself
    I think that's true for most members.

Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    What kind of camera is that?
    The pic was shot with a Nikon D300 and 16mm fish eye lens housed in a Subal housing. Great for clarity as you need to get the camera quite close to the target.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Too funny!

The pic was shot with a Nikon D300 and 16mm fish eye lens housed in a Subal housing. Great for clarity as you need to get the camera quite close to the target.
    When you said it was a 16mm fish eye the first thing I thought of was how close you would have had to be to take that shot.

Now where's the rest of 'em!

Wow, the housing alone cost more than my dslr

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    When you said it was a 16mm fish eye the first thing I thought of was how close you would have had to be to take that shot.

Now where's the rest of 'em!
    The fish eye lens is amazing in how distant and small the target appears but underwater, you really want to minimize the distance to target. It practice this often means that you hold the camera at arms length to get it as close to the target as possible with out crowding the target with your head right behind the camera and looking through the eye piece. It is easy to miss the focus you want because the center of the lens may be off the target completely and the camera attempting to find focus in empty water.

In these shots I held the camera probably a foot away from the sapphire and at arms length as I swam along. The water clarity was not great and in many cases, the backscatter from the ambient light ruined the image.

Below is one last image offering:

In mechanical and man made items, form can often follow function with pleasing results. In nature, form will also follow function but at a level of complexity that we are often taken by the beauty of the form with little appreciation for the function; if even understanding it.

I believe that many of us can appreciate the image above for any number of reasons. I also believe that certain comments and trains of discussion can detract from it as well as even render it inappropriate to share. Without respect, can there be true appreciation? If you do appreciate the image above, please show respect for it and the subject (as well as photographer).

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast