Acebeam        
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Quote Originally Posted by Scottiver View Post
    How do you know that you DID get one from Arc? Did they send you some kind of order confirmation? Because I'm pretty darn sure that I ordered one on time but i've not as yet recieved any kind of order confirmation. Hopefully i'll get a shipping notice tomorrow and everything will be good.

I hope I got in on time....
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Au Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Perhaps, ARC processes things slower then McGizmo
    Maybe he might have an answer in his forum?

It's still a mystery how Don can answer emails and process all those waves in a day. Maybe part Menehune?
    How do you know that you DID get one from Arc? Did they send you some kind of order confirmation? Because I'm pretty darn sure that I ordered one on time but i've not as yet recieved any kind of order confirmation. Hopefully i'll get a shipping notice tomorrow and everything will be good.

Enlightened

Have you noticed the inherent efficiency to the McGizmo sales process? Don has combined or eliminated many unnecessary steps that other builders incorporate into their respective order and notification process. I envisioned most of the Sapphires boxed and ready for mailing labels, stacked in a corner waiting for the wave to be launched, ...or he has some good help!

Dons a one man show, unless you count Friendly. But I dont think Friendly would be much help with his flippers and shell.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Friendly's role is to provide peace and calm!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsync View Post
    Have you noticed the inherent efficiency to the McGizmo sales process? Don has combined or eliminated many unnecessary steps that other builders incorporate into their respective order and notification process. I envisioned most of the Sapphires boxed and ready for mailing labels, stacked in a corner waiting for the wave to be launched, ...or he has some good help!
    Mrs. McGizmo is the brains behind the operation.

I apologize, I DID get an order confirmation email from Arc. It was at 1:00 in the morning so I wasn't exactly in my most alert state of mind and I just spaced out about it. Sorry.

Hi guys,
    When I launch a wave, the lights are already completed and sitting in egg crates ready for packing up. I open an e-mail request, confirm that I have the current mailing address in my Endecia soft ware and then I print a postage label as well as make a line entry in my Excel build file for the recipient and with the pertinent information. I respond to the e-mail request with a postage notification. I grab the label and the light and pack it appropriately and put it in a box. I then go on to the next e-mail request. I have tried to eliminate as many unnecessary steps as possible. When the e-mail request also has questions or comments requiring further communication, it really throws a monkey wrench in my super simple system and requires me to set the transaction aside without forgeting about it. (not safe considering who is at the helm!! )

In this wave of Sapphire's, one of you asked for a quote on insurance so you could decide whether it would be worth it to you or not. Well insurance in this case was $1.50. I went ahead and purchased the insurance and told you if you felt it was too expensive to not pay me back for it. It was worth it to me, in this case, to gamble on the $1.50 and be able to keep processing these requests!

If you guys are like me and I know some of you are, once you have decideed you want something, waiting for it is not part of the fun and you want it ASAP. I really appreciate dealing with companies who are quick to get my order in transit to me and because of this, I want to be as quick as I possibly can. One of the reasons I don't want to commit to a specific time of a wave launch is that I know as soon as I launch the wave, I am commited to sitting at the computer and processing the requests coming in as quickly as posible and meals and sleep are secondary to getting the job done. I like to have the freedom of getting my act together and personal needs taken care of before I sit down and pull the trigger on the wave.

It really helps when you guys provide the information I request even though we have had previous transactions. I may well recognize your name or e-mail address but if you don't provide your last name or mailing address I have to do a hunt to figure out who you are so I can pull you up in the postage software and then it is assumed that you have not moved since the last time. I don't like to make any assumptions when it comes to shipping out these lights! Again, in this wave, one of you provided your address and it was the same as I had on file but this time, there was no apartment number, just the street address. I went with what you had provided but not without a slight bit of doubt. I commented in the subject line of the postage notification that I saw there was no longer an Apt. # in the address. As it turned out, you had failed to include the Apt. # and I should have stuck with the address I had on file. I hope the light does get to you and my bad for not putting our transaction on pause until the address could be confirmed.

While I am on a role, I want to admit that once I am in the shipping mode, my anxiety level is high and I easily get frustrated with order requests that are not clear or require additional communications. I can no doubt come off as a real jerk in any interactions I might have with you guys, during this period! I try to avoid posting in any of the threads during this time period for the same reason. I need to be shipping lights and not exposing you to my dark side!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Back again to make some comments specific to the Sapphire but they are in response to a post made in the wave thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    these are destined to be a production item at Arc flashlights. someone correct me if I'm wrong... difference is potting of electronics by Don vs removable light engine in Arc's offerings.

also ordered Arc Ti AAA kit. with luck should have both coming soon.
    A point of clarification here. In neither my offering or Arc's are the LE's potted here. The stock Arc AAA does have the LE potted in epoxy. In the lights I assembled and which are now headed out to you guys, I gound the perimeter of the PCB down in diameter until it could be pressed into the head with some interference. I then added a silver solder "blob" in one of the tinned vias that was originially intended as an epoxy fill hole. I then center punched this blob to force some of the silver solder into the titanium wall of the PCB pocket.

Peter presumably removed more material from the PCB to the point it will slip, without interference, into the head.

The advantage to potting these would be the additional protection of the components on the PCB. The disadvantage would be ultimate removal of the LE. One additional concern I had in potting the LE and I don't know if it is justified or not is that of thermal expansion. Titanium has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion. I assume that most epoxies will expand some as the heat up. Any expansion of the epoxy would tend to want to lift the PCB away from its seat on the titanium shoulder and away from its ground contact with the Ti. If I were to pot the LE, I would also want to stake the perimeter of the Ti lip over the back side of the PCB adding more ground contact as well as keeping the PCB seated. Doing this would really make the installation of the LE permanent or certainly unfriendly to LE exchange!!

The silicone O-ring seal between the head and battery pak is a good one and you can demonstrate to yourself how effective it is by removing it and putting the head on the pak and screwing it on and off and then reinstalling the O-ring and doing the same. The seal in the front end of the head has multiple back up. The window retaining O-ring provides a barrier to the outside itself. The window seal below the window is a full face seal which will keep the outside from getting in. There is an additional seal between the LED and the front end which would keep the outside from gaining access to the converter itself.

IMHO, the Sapphire has excellent protection of the internals from the outside environment. However since the LE is not potted, the converter is not protected internally from any battery leakage. The good news is that the titanium can not be harmed or corroded by any battery leak and it can easily be cleaned up in such an event. I don't know how likely a battery leak is anymore and I don't have much experience here. If a leak is a real concern then one might wish to take some preventative measures. I would guess that perhaps painting the back side of the PCB with a good nail polish might serve as some protection and possibly plugging the epoxy fill holes as well.

I don't perceive any cause for alarm here but I do feel there is cause for consideration at least. My personal solution is to use lithium batteries which I realize put additional drive current to the LED but I don't plan to use the light excessively and down the road should I want to replace the LED or light engine, I simply will; destroying it in the process probably but that's OK. I am replacing it anyway
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

For the benefit of newcomers, I wonder if a link to reply 248 should be added to the ordering sticky?
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

don, your shipping method is THE BEST i've ever seen. i have never had a faster response. thnx for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    For the benefit of newcomers, I wonder if a link to reply 248 should be added to the ordering sticky?
    +1 Don is amazing, if we do are part, he can get our lights out asap!
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

*Flashaholic*

can't wait for mine to get here...

Lightbulb Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

I got home too late to make the closing of the post office but fortunately the small sized box fit perfectly with the rest of the mail.

On first impression the light is very slim and the machining extremely fine. The ring hole is quite large compared to the tiny lanyard holes on most lights. I looked for a spare 15mm Ti ring but not finding one this one fit quite loosely. One could admire the workmanship forever so moving on.

Looking at the circuit board i could see the solder blob on the side wedging the board in place.

Inserting the battery and twisting the head as soon as i seen the beam it reminded me of...Mule. Like a Mule PD on low. No hotspot, just a nice even spill.

Size comparison with AA and AAA batteries

Size comparison

Beamshots are taken one foot away from wall. The color tints are not correct. The hotspots are reddish as the spill. The Sapphire is pure spill.

Fenix on left - Sapphire on right

LS20 on left - Sapphire on right

For those who have been lucky enough to receive one of these i doubt this will disappoint.

starfiretoo........you must be the first person to get it

Wink2 Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Kind of sneaked a summary review in here instead of a new thread
    Quote Originally Posted by faco View Post
    starfiretoo........you must be the first person to get it
    Having used it at night it is quite bright in total darkness to low light. There is a corona around the main beam that is really not usable. The flood pattern is about as wide as the distance from the object or wall. For those of you used to a Mule or Sundrop this is an extension of that line.

I'm using a Duracell ultra and in twisting it doesn't always come on all the time. Would have to give it a little extra twist and it comes on.

For those still waiting. You will be well rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by starfiretoo View Post

I'm using a Duracell ultra and in twisting it doesn't always come on all the time. Would have to give it a little extra twist and it comes on.

This extra twist sounds like you are having to overcome something in the anode path. The silver solder I use has a hard resin flux residue that may still be present in some places on the anode contact. You might want to try scraping the surface of the solder. In fairness to the cathode, it could also be something in the ground path (back end of the battery or the threads).

The circuit on these lights has the potential of being impeded at either end of the battery or in the threads. In the simple and rudimentary design of these lights, there is no spring contact in the battery chain and any surface resistance in contacts must be overcome by pressure of the battery being squeezed between the head and pak.

Thumbs up Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

I've cleaned the surface of the circuit board and battery contact areas with a swab sprayed with contact cleaner. Didn't seem to make much difference.

After twisting the head more then a few times it seems to happen less. My take is that due to the increasing friction between the Ti threads as the battery contacts the circuit board the twisting pressure needs to increase until good contact is made. Even though the threads feel smooth a lot of extra pressure is need to make good contact. I am not experiencing that problem now after turning it on and off like a kid with a new toy. More of a Ti threads break in period with mine?

Comparing a Fenix E01's beam pattern and this i find the Sapphire has a more usable lighting due to its evenness. I believe there was a move toward a more focused beam due to the lumen limitation of early LED's. With these brighter ones again a move toward a more uniform pattern is preferable.

It also find it stylish enough that it can be worn on a chain and be used as a reading light in dimly lit restaurants. Currently, i have it on my jacket zipper. I found it ideal and convenient for searching in my car not having to unclip my belt light.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    This extra twist sounds like you are having to overcome something in the anode path. The silver solder I use has a hard resin flux residue that may still be present in some places on the anode contact. You might want to try scraping the surface of the solder. In fairness to the cathode, it could also be something in the ground path (back end of the battery or the threads).

The circuit on these lights has the potential of being impeded at either end of the battery or in the threads. In the simple and rudimentary design of these lights, there is no spring contact in the battery chain and any surface resistance in contacts must be overcome by pressure of the battery being squeezed between the head and pak.

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    getting wait anxieties ... wishing my sapphire was here already
    Same here, I'm also waiting for others to get it so we can read some mini reviews

I'll have mine this afternoon. It arrived at my local Post Office this morning.
    Ray

I love mine!!!!!!

Don and Peter (or should I say Peter and Don?), this is a home run!!!!

Better make more because 1 isn't enough!!!!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Sapphire has landed in Western NC, thanks much Don!

Cool! I am glad some of these are reaching their destinations.

I did get an e-mail today about one that appears to have an off center LED. It may well be that the LED is slightly off axis but one thing I realize I had known and forgotten to mention is that these 3mm LED's are made with the die off center in the envelope. If you look straight down the envelope at the die, it is off center and the dome lens on the top of the envelope magnifies this condition. The design of the head has the LED O-ring center the LED within the head. I won't claim that any of these have a perfectly aligned (Z axis) LED but I don't think the physical restraint and design itself would allow for any significant deviation. However a sample that did have a perfectly true LED will definitely appear to have an off center die in it because that is the reality.

Perfect weather in Minnesota today for getting my Sapphire! Showed up in the mail about 30 minutes ago. I was able to actually put it down for a few moments to take a few pictures of my first McGizmo...

McGizmo LS20/AMc-Mule/Ti Sapphire
    SF 6P/E2DL/E2E
    NiteCore D10/EX10/EZAA

thnx DB!

Got mine in Vermont today also. I am sure you have your hands full with the custom lights but this strikes me as the perfect size for a companion titanium pill fob capsule. Use the same body and a new "head." Just some groves for gripping, maybe not as thick and maybe a trit slot across the end.

Enlightened

Received mine in New Jersey - it really is a nice piece. 1st McGizmo for me!

We have touchdown, and it's another home run for McGizmo!

I see what Don means about the off-center LED, but it's has such a minor impact on the beam as to be functionally irrelevant in my book. I think I'll just ignore that post, Don!

As it turns out, I'd forgotten about having a bunch of Lithium primaries, so I'm gonna play it safe leak-wise and use them in my Sapphire. I didn't want to use the donut, but I really don't like rattles, though it is very slight in this case. Time to try the CPF Post It Note Solution To Battery Rattles. I took half of a 1"x2" Post It note, wrapped it sticky side out around the battery and pushed it into the tube about halfway. I then pulled the battery out and used a toothpick to "seat" the note at the bottom of the tube. With an Energizer Lithium cell, the fit is perfect. The cell won't just fall out, but a moderate shake is all it takes to remove the battery. Since the Post It is sticky side out, it's now stuck inside the tube and I have no rattles without the donut. Woo-hoo!

I'm glad you beefed up the material at the lanyard hole. Although I've never had an issue with the thin aluminum of the stock Arc, it's always left me a bit uneasy.

Now, I'm even more excited to get my kit from Arc. I'm hoping that I'll be able to transplant the LE from one of my MillerMod's into it. Even so, my Sapphire will be riding shotgun with my Haiku. Gotta keep the family together!

Thanks for another gem, Don!
    Last edited by Codeman; 03-12-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Ray

I got mine! I am such a happy camper.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast