New EDC light recommendation....

Masteroffajitas

Newly Enlightened
I need a new light, one for EDC. I've been looking at lights like the surefire z2, g2z and 6p, the fenix p1 and the novotac 120e. I'd take other suggestions too. Here's my specs:

Mostly metal body

Made in the USA, or good quality import

Above 60 lumens

Under $105

Compactish, think EDC or range bag, rides nice in the pocket.

TIA!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My two favorites right now are the LiteFlux LF3XT (1 x CR123) and the Proton Pro (1 x AA). Plenty of info about both in the LED and Reviews sections. The Proton is around $50 and the LiteFlux about $60.

Geoff

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many lights that meet your requirements this is going to go no where :eek:

sappyg

Enlightened
There are so many lights that meet your requirements this is going to go no where :eek:

:welcome:...... yep. you need to narrow down specific uses and requirements..... do you want a floody beam... throw? is there a battery preference?
and now for the most important thing... my recommendation :nana:
try a search on EDC lights and you'll get more than you may have bargained for but, it will help you.
you say you need a new light... what light do you EDC now? why do you need a new one? what is it that you don't like about the one you use now?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You've got a lot of options.

To help narrow down the selection:

What battery type?
Size?
Beampattern?
Multi output/modes?
Clips, holsters, accessories?

:welcome:

Masteroffajitas

Newly Enlightened
Battery, AA, or cr123

I'm not sure what throw is, how far I want the beam to go? Not far I guess, I want it to be some what discrete. Narrow beam. I used to use a Fenix brand L2D, but it was to long, and thin. I like a thicker light. Nitecores and novotacs look great, but I want to see what else was out there.

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
I would say the Nitecore Extreme.

It has become my EDC favorite, very small and bright.

sappyg

Enlightened
check out Ra Lights... the EDC Eexecutive and EDC T should go on your short list. the difference between them is the switch (E= flush, T= button), and the beam pattern. i have disovered that i like the T model for daily carry but i prefer the E model for general use around the house.
there are very few lights, if any, that can be considered there equal at any price.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I like the 6P and similar format Surefires a lot because they are just so modular and expandable. You can build some incredible things with them. I made one that puts more than 500 lumens out the front but only for a short time. By swapping batteries and the lamp I can make the same light very dim but it will run for weeks. Last night I hunted for scorpions in the woods with a 6P using a UV lamp. Next weekend I might take it swimming while hunting fossils in the river. If you decide you want a 3 cell light instead of a 2 cell light that's a $20 upgrade.

GreyShark

Enlightened
To a degree. Take it deep enough, deeper than you'll ever go without SCUBA, and you'll run into problems from the pressure. Otherwise it works well in shallow water such as you might experience swimming or snorkeling.

There's a couple tricks to keep in mind if you want to do this. First is double o-rings. The cuts are already made so you just have to provide the rings themselves. The next is to lube it up good. I use Nyogel 779ZC and it works for me. The Centurion can do this too and Surefire even makes a waterproof rated 6P called the 6PN but it's twice the price of the standard model for questionable gains. There are 6P clones like the Solarforce that are cheap but I trust Surefire to hold a tighter tolerance than Solarforce. Tighter means more water resistant and tight tolerances are mostly what you're paying for with the 6PN, which are apparently hand picked and tested off the standard 6P production line.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Check out Ra Clicky Lights... the EDC Executive and EDC Tactical should work fine for you.

:thumbsup:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out Ra Lights... the EDC Eexecutive and EDC T should go on your short list. the difference between them is the switch (E= flush, T= button), and the beam pattern. i have disovered that i like the T model for daily carry but i prefer the E model for general use around the house.
there are very few lights, if any, that can be considered there equal at any price.

The Ra lights are just wonderful - I have the Twisty version and can't recommend it enough. I plan on buying the Clicky T very shortly.

You may want to look into a few surefires - they can be had for around $100 and are just bomb-proof and American made.

I would recommend you look at the L1, E1B or E1L.

Enjoy!
-Harry

325addict

Enlightened
Another vote for the SureFire L1 LumaMax.

It is indeed bombproof, has exactly the right brightness-levels for close-up work AND for reaching quite far, and only needs one CR123A battery every now and then (16 hours runtime on low...)

For me, this one has the right UI too. Always ready on my desk to give me a few seconds of light, just depress the button and have light, release it and it's off again. Great for quick inspections.

Timmo.

callmaster

Enlightened
You've got my vote for the Ra Lights. The awesome EDC versions are in your price range. I don't go anywhere without my Ra Clickies. Gave my HDS U60 to my wife.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the SureFire L1 LumaMax.

It is indeed bombproof, has exactly the right brightness-levels for close-up work AND for reaching quite far, and only needs one CR123A battery every now and then (16 hours runtime on low...)

For me, this one has the right UI too. Always ready on my desk to give me a few seconds of light, just depress the button and have light, release it and it's off again. Great for quick inspections.

Timmo.

Chalk up yet another vote for the SF L1. The L1's user interface is excellent--allowing instant access to either high or low. Plus, it is nice and compact to fit in your pocket, and has good runtime on either high or low.

-Robert

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Novatac 120E is a good choice. For less money, you could get a Novatac 85E. Same as the 120E, but 85 lumens instead of 120.