Moon Rings

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the heck is this moon ring.

My neighbor called me and told me to go outside and check this out.

005-31.jpg

addictedmatt

Enlightened
A Ring Around The Moon The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which of course is reflected sunlight) from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The shape of the ice crystals results in a focusing of the light into a ring. Since the ice crystals typically have the same shape, namely a hexagonal shape, the Moon ring is almost always the same size.

The first time I saw it when I was younger it really freaked me out!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an old saying, and it is pretty accurate, that a ring around the moon means a big change (not always a lasting one) in the weather. My dad said it usually means a change from warm or cold to the other.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Spaceweather.com. Today (March 7, 2009) their page has a nice photograph of a "moon halo" that was submitted by a viewer. It includes some information on how and why they form.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
So funny to read flashaholic comments :) By the way, apart from these moon halos there are also moon pillars.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I don't believe any of these answers. It's flashaholic aliens messing with us from the next galaxy. Their version of "hey look at my uber light."

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe any of these answers. It's flashaholic aliens messing with us from the next galaxy. Their version of "hey look at my uber light."

:crackup: Too funny Lux. I guess aliens haven't figured out how to get rid of the flawed beam. They need a "Milky" mod.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice hotspot, bet that puppy throws well!! You can get rid of that ring with a little Scotch "Magic" Tape, but I'm not sure how big they make it!? Guess you could just tape a couple pieces over your eyes? :thinking: