• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: 2x2x18650 carrier for dual bore Mag2.25D

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WTB: dual bore Mag2D + 4x18650 carrier

I dont think you can bore a Mag to accept 4 x 18650 Li-ion cells
A tri bore will fit 3 x 17670 cells and a full bore will fit 4 x 14xx cells
The only thing that is Mag based that will fit 4 x 18650 is the custom build
Elephant body

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

I think he's talking about 2 stacks of 2 side-by-side 18650 cells, like this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/139340

Exactly like that. The custom anodizing and grooving is very nice, but I wouldn't want to pay extra for it. My main concern is that the torch is ready to go for accepting 4 18650s in two wide by two long without having to create my own battery carrier to make it work.

donn_

Flashaholic

I have the 2.5D version from FiveMega, in Nickel. I don't know of any holder which will hold 2 or 4 18650s and fit the tube. I tried it with mdocod's 2x18650 M6 holder, and it doesn't fit past the threading on the tube. The cells alone fit easily, side-by-side.

Edit:

I found the thread for my light, which includes a 4x18650 2S2P holder designed to be charged through the tailcap.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=143624

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened

I have the 2.5D version from FiveMega, in Nickel. I don't know of any holder which will hold 2 or 4 18650s and fit the tube. I tried it with mdocod's 2x18650 M6 holder, and it doesn't fit past the threading on the tube. The cells alone fit easily, side-by-side.

Edit:

I found the thread for my light, which includes a 4x18650 2S2P holder designed to be charged through the tailcap.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=143624

Darn, that was looking pretty good until I saw that it is 2p2s instead of 4s. I have a feeling this idea might be more easily served with an Elephant II - at least that comes with the battery carrier.

If FM is still offering the combined discount on the Ele-II with the FM3V-2 head and has both available in bare Alu., then I might be in for one. (I just can't see getting the big body without the big head to go with it.) Cost is climbing quickly though...

spencer

Enlightened

I am also interested in this although I would be okay with a 2S2P. Any other ideas anyone?

spencer

Enlightened

I don't think a quad bore would be enough. Because it is designed for a cell 14mm in diameter, that circle would not fit an 18mm cell very well.

Techjunkie

Enlightened

I don't think a quad bore would be enough. Because it is designed for a cell 14mm in diameter, that circle would not fit an 18mm cell very well.

You're right. I asked Jesus Hernandez. He did say that it's possible to quad bore where two of the bore's are larger than the other two so you have the choice of 2x18650 or 4x14500 (AA). If no one has a dual bore host that they want to part with, then I'll just get one from him. His prices seem to be the best.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
I got the Mag from Jesus. He did an awesome job of cutting a 3D down to 2.25D and rethreading it, then bored it to fit 2x18650 across or 4x14500 across.

Now I need a good carrier no more than 2.25D in length (or moddable to be shortened to that length) that will fit 2x2x18650 or 4x3x14500 LiFePO4 batteries.

Alternative to a carrier, I could use a custom made LiFePO4 pack of either configuration described above. (LuxLuthor where are you?:whistle:)

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Techjunkie

Enlightened
No I don't.

I was looking at a new build, and this Der Wichtel Triple Seoul P7 Kit for Mag D looks interesting, but there is no power options I like. I'm keeping an eye on what you do.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how best to use this host that I had Jesus make for me. It will (barely) fit either a 2x2x18650 carrier or a 12AA pack if either is made as short as possible.

If I strike out with the carrier and the pack, then I might just fall back on the route that I took for some old hotwire mods I made by building the carrier into the torch. (I mounted contacts on the bottom of the switch base and made a contact board to go between the batteries and the tail spring.) It makes loading 4-wide AA batteries a pain in the butt that way, but for 2x2x18650, it might not be so bad. It would actually work in my favor by allowing me to switch between shorter unprotected IMR/LiFePO4 cells and longer protected Li-Co cells, if it weren't for that the fact that I'm not bucking 4 cells down to 3 emitters, I'm boosting 4 cells up to 5 emitters, and the Li-Co cells discharge rate limitation doesn't lend them to this application after they're only a short way into their full capacity.

Here's what I mean by the built-in approach (AA):
TheBruisersTailend.jpg

Tail end

IMG_3323.jpg

Switch base end

supasizefries

Enlightened
I got the Mag from Jesus. He did an awesome job of cutting a 3D down to 2.25D and rethreading it, then bored it to fit 2x18650 across or 4x14500 across.

I might eventually need one of these. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost? You can PM me. Thanks! Much appreciated.