Really, Really Dumb Question, Dumbest Ever

Can you please explain the difference between a forward clicky and reverse clicky?

I'm having trouble visualizing the clicking movement and why it's such a huge disadvantage to not have a reverse clicky if you're an officer. Is a clicky really that life impacting or are people just splitting hairs.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main difference in them is how the momentary works. A forward clicky allows you to partially depress the button for momentarty. Then you can release it to off or continue to fully depress the switch and vfinish clicking it to the constant on position.

A reverse clicky requires you to fully depress the switch and click it into the on position. From there you can partially depress the button to momentarily turn the light off. Fully depressingthe switch button again turns it off.

For me, a forward clicky just seems more useful and intuitive. It feels like i have more positive control over when I do or do not have the light on. Having to go through full on to get to momentary with a reverse clicky just doesn't seem the right way to operate. But it's supposedly cheaper to manufacture which is probably why it's on many lights.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is stickied..... in THREE places....

Not inside another thread. BUT actually stickied on it's own. It should be the thread everyone reads first.

In fact inside the Welcome Mat the threads of interest should be mentioned. Not the other way around.

Really, the only forum where that thread is stickied on it's own is in "General Forum Issues Only". That's the last place I'd look for flashlight answers. Flashlight answers in a place holding info on the forum itself or how to post.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Not inside another thread. BUT actually stickied on it's own. It should be the thread everyone reads first.

In fact inside the Welcome Mat the threads of interest should be mentioned. Not the other way around.

Really, the only forum where that thread is stickied on it's own is in "General Forum Issues Only". That's the last place I'd look for flashlight answers. Flashlight answers in a place holding info on the forum itself or how to post.

It's stickied there, it's inside the "Threads of Interest" sticky in the General forum, and it's listed in the sidebar when viewing the main index page. It's also referenced in just about every other reference thread.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's stickied there, it's inside the "Threads of Interest" sticky in the General forum, and it's listed in the sidebar when viewing the main index page. It's also referenced in just about every other reference thread.

Hmmm... with all the threads I've seen lately that could be answered very quickly with The Welcome Mat.

Could it be possible that "The Welcome Mat" could be made even easier to find. Or adding "The Welcome Mat (All New Members should read first)" or something along those line help.

The issue with the index is if most people browse like me they'll never see it because the time spent on the index is minimal. I'm always other on flashlight subforum or some other subforum.

To be honest it took me a more than 3 minutes to find the welcome mat thread and that's only because I know what I'm looking for. For someone who is completely green it's not easy enough. "Threads of Interest" That's an ambiguous name, it needs something (I don't know what) to help draw some attention. Ok ok enough off topic discussion about that.

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
The main difference in them is how the momentary works. A forward clicky allows you to partially depress the button for momentarty. Then you can release it to off or continue to fully depress the switch and vfinish clicking it to the constant on position.

A reverse clicky requires you to fully depress the switch and click it into the on position. From there you can partially depress the button to momentarily turn the light off. Fully depressingthe switch button again turns it off.

For me, a forward clicky just seems more useful and intuitive. It feels like i have more positive control over when I do or do not have the light on. Having to go through full on to get to momentary with a reverse clicky just doesn't seem the right way to operate. But it's supposedly cheaper to manufacture which is probably why it's on many lights.

Reverse clickies are nice when cycling through modes.
One full click = on.
Half-click when on = cycle to next mode.
Of course you loose the momentary on function.

It all boils down into a matter of which you prefer and what you use your light for.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I prefer the forward clicky simply because there's less wear and tear on the component when i need the light on for short (only a few seconds) bursts.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, This is not a dumb question, if it is, then I am dumb as well, as I had no idea what people were talking about, for some time after joining CPF.

Second, please post the subject matter in the subject line. This is very helpful to other members and will often get you a faster response.

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't It just be easier to answer our Dumb Questions and forgo all the links and the snide remarks?

Nubes are just that Nubes. We are unfamiliar with the site and just looking for QUICKer answers.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Many you "Old Timers" think you Know everything and get upset that we Nubes, know next to nothing and for some reason feel that you Need to belittle us to make yourselves feel better about yourselves. Just My 2 cents. :wave::nana:

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't It just be easier to answer our Dumb Questions and forgo all the links and the snide remarks?

Nubes are just that Nubes. We are unfamiliar with the site and just looking for QUICKer answers.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Many you "Old Timers" think you Know everything and get upset that we Nubes, know next to nothing and for some reason feel that you Need to belittle us to make yourselves feel better about yourselves. Just My 2 cents. :wave::nana:

A/V Dude:

First off, the questions are not dumb...they are legitimate. It is just that over the course of months and years the same questions appear over and over again and as they do, they get answered. Some are linked, some become a sticky. I dont' believe directing anyone either a nube or an existing member constitutes as a snide remark, I see it more as a courtesy.

In response to the second portion of your post, looking up old links and reading through them is a good way to familiarize yourself with the many facets available at this great forum. Learning as you go.

Lastly, I don't know where the "break-off" point is for new members in oppossed to "old timers" but I assure you that there is a wealth of information within these halls from members of varying age, experience and the practical application of all things related to this forum.

I really don't think any "old timer" feels the need to belittle anyone, much less a newbie to make themselves fell better. Do people get cranky, sure they do. Just a part of life. I've been here since 2003, didn't join till 2007. I still have a ton of questions, some I look up, others are answered in due time. When and if the need arises, I will ask..and it will be answered, either directly or I will be pointed in the right diection.

Plase enjoy your stay here...and always feel welcomed.

Best Regards:
Bob

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
What snide remarks? I just reread this entire thread and I don't see one single snide remark. Relax.

Maybe not here, But you have to admit there are those here who abuse nubes like they are the red haired stepchild kinda'.

Yes alot of you are good and helpful to us.

Searching I have found unless you have the right "phrasing" you don't get the results you are looking for or you have to sift through the fluff and some of the off topic banter that can not help to go on.

So I just say it may just be easier to answer the question and be done with it. I clicked on the link tebore was kind enough to post, It took me 5 mins. to find the answer to the question. :wave::nana:

Now I found DonShocks direct answer most helpful.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe not here, But you have to admit there are those here who abuse nubes like they are the red haired stepchild kinda'.

Quite the contrary, unless this alleged abuse occurs on threads that I never read.

I have had nothing but support from CPF members and Mods since the day I joined CPF, and believe me, I have asked my fair share of dumb questions.

I've also found that members here are very courteous, patient and polite to newcomers in general. In fact, in these terms and based on my experience on other message boards, CPF is a model for all other forums to be compared to.

Sorry, but the statement: "Please use the search function" is not abuse.

You'll understand after you have answered the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Didn't mean to cause an argument between folks. Sorry bout that. Thanks for answering my question everyone!:whistle:

Gary123

Enlightened
So, to sum it up for you:

1) Matter of personal preference,
2) Law enforcement and others who want a "momentary" function will go for the forward clickie,
3) They are both equally easy to cycle through modes
4) Never heard about forward clickies being more rugged, its possible
5) Reverse clickies ARE more rugged in terms of passing voltage - if you need a clickie with a high output flashlight, reverse clickies are needed (a good forward clickie will handle about 3(?) amps, whereas a decent reverse clickie can handle about 8).