What would you call your arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fibrizo

Newly Enlightened
I just saw an ad in sharper image's catalog for a "HUMMER" flashlight... Basically a single 5mm LED light that you shake to power...(a copy of that shake led flashlight I've seen everywhere...)

That got me thinking... if that's what the "HUMMER of flashlights is, then what would my ARC LSH-P be?

After thinking about it for a while, I came up with "Apache Helicopter" since it's much more fuel limited, is much more precision engineered, and packs a heck of a punch for it's size, and costs a heck of alot more than a hummer. (plus given a choice, most people would pick taking the apache to work instead of a hummer, just like my arc)

Incidentally, it also occured to me that if you ever wanted to mass market ARC flashlights, it seems like the sharper image catalog would be the place, as people buying stuff from there seem to be used to paying way more for something than normal people do. (I think CPFers are not in the normal catagory, as most people would flip if I told them that these little lights are 160$, except for a few surgeons I know...)

Also I saw an electric pepper grinder with a light to show you where the salad is.. (pretty useful in the dark I guess)
and a Barbecue fork that had a light built in as well... And automatically I started imagining doing a LS mod...

Imagine that, a LS flashlight that could grind pepper as well...

Oh well, I've lost my mind since I failed that Neuro exam... plus the genetics is getting to me. if I have to remember another translocation or cause of male infertility...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid I don't have a sexy name to give to the Arc model of flashlight.

But if I were to give my Arc LS a name, it would be "D'Artagnan" (of Three Musketeers fame). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We approached Sharper Image about selling Arc flashlights. They said they cost too much for their customers. I thought this was odd because I was under the impression their products are supposed to be the best of the best. They certainly are not discount priced. Maybe it is just novelty items at high margins?

--

On the drive into work today we saw a bright yellow Hummer2. This made me wonder. Here is an item that seems to be designed to be an impressive 4x4 but I am yet to see one that is dirty or looks like it was taken off road. Part of the problem is the truck is so expensive but so fragile. Owners end up not using it how it was(?) intended. They take a beefy frame, large engine and other expensive items you would expect in an utility vehicle and wrap it in a easy to scratch paint job that is nearly identical to the paint job on an econobox. Who, after spending $30-40k on a vehicle is going to put a $1000 scratch down the side or knock out a $300 tail light cover?

Just seems odd...

Peter

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
... They said they cost too much for their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?! Good grief, those characters at The Sharper Image just kill me... everything in that store is overpriced. I suppose you called it right, Peter - mostly novelty items with a high sticker. The Arc LS & AAA certainly aren't "novelty" items.

-Jim

Catapult

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
We approached Sharper Image about selling Arc flashlights. They said they cost too much for their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
actually...i think they only sell expensive cheap items... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

expensive good quality items just won't do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if they were referring to the arc LS i would understand...however i think the price of the arc AAA is pretty reasonable!

i think what prevents people from using their arc LS's in the way they were intended is the high price, assuming that the arc LS isn't a factory second. sure its a tool, but i would be more careful with a pair of leatherman pliers as compared to a $3 no-brand model. however after the first dent or scratch i think most would start using it like it was intended to. speaking from experience here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Two things:

- I would like to know, why Arc is called Arc in the first place? I would be interested in knowing the history.

-Second, from chamenos -> " i think what prevents people from using their arc LS's in the way they were intended is the high price ".

I beg to differ and maybe it's just me, but since day one upon receiving my LSH-S, I've been beating the ________ (insert your choice word here) out of it. From under the kitchen cabinets on my last home project, working on the family vehicles, camping trips and dropping it off the the second story of my house. Figured I have 9.8333 years left to test the warranty on it. I'm using it exactly as I intented to use it, and it's still holding up very nicely.

Just my observations,

--Chris

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
chris: to each his own....some people might buy a honda and wash it every day and service it every month, others buy a mercedes and treat it like crap. in my case i'm still a student so money isn't exactly easy to come by. buying my arc LSH-P wasn't something i did on a whim; i read reviews on it, i handled one in person, then after deciding i wanted it i slowly saved up the money before ordering one. as such, i hope you understand why i would tend to be more careful with it.

having said that, i don't baby it unnecessarily, at least not any more. i use it like i used my old mini maglite (pre-cpf days), but i still take care of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

btw, i recall reading somewhere "arclights" was a term used to describe low-flying jets carrying out night-time sorties during the vietnam war. i'm not sure if its got anything to do with arc's name or if what i just said is accurate though.

edit: do you have any pictures of your arc? i'm thinking of starting a thread showcasing pictures of well-used arc LS's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
chamenos,

I agree with you totally. I'm very money tight also; married, two kids (one with a very expensive hobby) and my income supports us all. Sometimes I wish I was a poor student again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I too read and read and read, skimmed money here and there, to finally buy an Arc LS after a year of waiting. Ahhh, now I have to find a way to buy a LS4 in the near future.

Pics? Actually it looks about as good today as it did when I got it 7 weeks ago. It's been covered with latex paint, silicone sealant, motor oil, a bathtub toy (saved Barbie and her friends from a shark attack) and just general crud. A toothbrush and some elbow grease fixes it right up. It hasn't earned a real gravity-induced character markings yet. I can't wait until it happens, but I'm not going to try to speed up when it does occur.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just love hearing that an Arc is getting lots of use!

"Arc" is because the blue-white color of the LED reminded me of arc welding.

Peter

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Dang it, Peter! That's too easy. I was hoping for a dramatic long story to pass down to the grandkids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But yes, I use mine as a tool first, flashlight second, and gadget third.

BTW, your Suburban Hummer thoughts at the beginning of this thread. I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee when I lived in Colorado a few years ago, and tore up the front differental on a rock the first weekend I had it up in the mountains. This is why I bought it, to explore off-road not to carry groceries and kids to soccer games in the urban jungle.

Tomas

Banned
Chamenos, the "Arc Light" missions in Viet Nam were flown from June 1965 through April 1970 IIRC. They were the saturation and carpet bombing missions initially flown out of Guam, and eventually out of Guam and Thailand. The aircraft involved were flights of B-52's dropping regular "iron bombs" (500 and 750 pound ordinance, generally just over 100 per aircraft).

It is impossible to describe the sound of more than 300 bombs of that size going off within a minute or so and only a few miles away ...

There were a LOT of Arc Light missions flown.

tomsig02.gif
VNRIB2.gif

fibrizo

Newly Enlightened
Hehe... I should have known about sharper image. On the other hand they do sell some pretty nice stuff too.. (The roomba is actually pretty nice) But Most of their catalog is kinda yuppie oriented... and I don't think many yuppies would be that interested in a useful non flashy expensive tool like an ARC (except the AAA of course which I don't understand why they wouldn't be interested as they sell a bunch of similar lights that are alot less durable. Perhaps they want you to buy more rather than buy one that lasts half of forever.)

mahoney

Enlightened
If you are looking for a company that might be interested in marketing ARC flashlights to it's customers, I would suggest Bridge City Toolworks. They make very pretty, very well made, and very expensive, woodworking measuring and marking tools. They have featured products made by other companies in their catalog and ARC products are certainly at a similar quality level. A.G. Russel Knives is another catalog that ARC products would not be out of place in.

Of course, if ARC products do appear in those catalogs, there will be more demand, making them even harder to get...so forget I mentioned anything.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think a shop would be a great place to sell these!

just the other night, i found that boring is infinately easier with an arc aaa in the chuck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Actually I would call my LSH-P by exactly what it reminds me of. As a scuba diver, I use the UK HID Light Cannon on night dives. It is the most amazing amount of bright light you can get in a small diving light. I call my LSH-P my "Pocket Light Cannon". It has a beam that's similiar in color and with the same warm spot. Of course it's not as bright though it's a lot harder to break. It's still mighty bright though!

Bill

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
saunterer: that's good to know; i'll probably have to start saving up for the LS4 too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifi'm now seriously contemplating putting my arc LSH-P in the washing machine for a full wash cycle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomas: thanks for the clarification...i guess i got the term mixed up, and all i was sure off was that it had something to do with the vietnam war /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter, some jewelry stores sell Surefire flashlights. Those would be the sort that go for the sports crowd that buys Rolex and Breitling watches. You might try approaching some of those places instead of Sharper Image. I'd love to have an Arc LS in polished stainless steel with grip rings instead of knurling and those buyers wouldn't even mind what a thing like that would cost. Or you could use sterling silver instead of aluminum, for better heat conduction. Yeah, that's the ticket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Status
Not open for further replies.