Can any AA flashlight take N cells?

jtice

Flashaholic
I was thinking about replacing alot of my AA flashlights batts, with N cells, can all AA flashlights (like mini mags) handle this?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you need to go 4.5V 1000mah, 3.0V 2800mah is a lot better...

Under that aspect of runtime, odd-shaped NiMHs might be a bit more sound...

jtice

Flashaholic
No good source, yet.

May not even make the change, due to price.

But I see alot of comparisons, that show the same light putting out ALOT more light with N cells.

paulr

Flashaholic
The cells may fit in the light but beware of burning out the bulb. Why on earth do you want to do that anyway? AA's are ubiquitous and cheap. If you want to make your Minimag brighter, put in a Brinkmann bulb. Or a Madmax.

jtice

Flashaholic
FalconFX....
Im not sure what you mean. You are saying the N cells would be 4.5V 1,000mah, and 2 AA's would be 3V but more punch at 2800mah?

What makes the N cells brighter then? The voltage? I would think amps would make it brighter.

And... if having 3 N cells is 4.5V instead of 3V,,, how does that not damage the leds? Wouldnt that over drive them? ... hmmmm, thats why its brighter huh?

jtice

Flashaholic
Paulr....
Good point,,, i hate the price of the N cells anyway.
I wasnt aware of the options you mentioned. I will try to find them. You know a good site for them?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice,

(from Energizer's datasheets)
An N cell has a capacity of 1000mah at 1.5V...
An AA cell has a capacity of 2850mah at 1.5V...

By "more punch", I mean that per watt-hour, 2 AAs are better (3x2850 = 8550 watt/hours) versus 3 Ns (4.5x1000 = 4500 watt/hours)...

You get more brightness because of the higher initial voltage. But because your capacity is more limited, runtime is shorter...

And for an incandescent, you may risk flashbulbing if a bulb's temperamental... I've flashbulbed an MN01 with 3.7V, and it was supposed to run at 3.0V. It doesn't take much...

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot FalconFX,,,

That makes perfect sence to me now... DUH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I think I'll stick with AA's... besides,,, Im thinking of buying more of the ones I use for my digicam.

"Monster Rechargables" They seem to have alot more punch, and life than regular batts. 1800mah vs 1500mah,,, thats what ive heard. ( in terms of rechargables) There are some that are also 1800mah now though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=39705&catoid=-8756