Have ? Solarforce L2M Short R2

bullettproof

Enlightened
I have a solarforce L2m I just got and its a 5 mode with an R2 in it.I only have the short body right now so its running off 1 surefire 3.0 volt battery.

Its is about half as bright as my Fenix LD20 which is 2 AA = 3 Volt why is this considering its an R2? If I get the extended body will it then increace the Voltage at least 6 volt with 2 surefire 123's? Therefore increasing lumens by double?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another cell or two on that drop in module will increase the brightness quite a bit (never assume linear voltage to lumen relationship) . I'm guessing you got the L2M(mini) because you liked the form factor. A smaller 6P if you will.
You need to find some rechargeable cr123 cells or get a drop in module that's brighter on one cell. I'm running this module in my L2m with great success. I even get two hours of usable warm light from a single AA battery ;which amazingly fits if you loosen the bezel and tail cap.

bullettproof

Enlightened
I estimate that its putting out 50 Lumens of light on 1 CR123. So If i buy the extender to run 2-123 or 18650 which is the better way to go for brighter light. I even saw you can get another extender and run 3 CR123 how much wil that help? I have batteries and chargers on the way. My 2yo Daughter and I play with flashlights a lot together. I got the L2 MINI for her but she Loves my LD20 and wont play with her stock mag since I got the LD20 :sick2:

After playing with my overdriven 5761 maglite everything looks DULL

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
Hi bulletproof

the acceptable voltage for the L2m is 3.7-12 Volts, I think

It should say on the side of the P60 Dropin. If you used a RCR123 it should be much brighter.

I think the 5 modes accept a higher voltage but need at least 3.7 Volts.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Solarforce store say 3v-12.6 I belive. Will 3.7 rcr be that much of a difference?

jake25

Enlightened
Yes, the light is regulated and requires a certain voltage amount to run at optimal brightness. Between 3.7 and 12 volts it should be the same brightness, maybe a little bit brighter, but deliver a little bit longer runtime.

Marduke

Flashaholic
That dropin is buck only, so you really need to use a cell which has a voltage higher than the Vf of the LED.

An alternative is to use a dedicated 1xLi-Ion dropin, such as the Malkoff M30.

The LD20 is boost only, so it is designed to be brighter on 2xAA.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The DC-DC circuit in the solarforce R2-M is buck only. it bucks Vin down to Vf when Vin>Vf. The flip side of that is that when Vin<Vf it drops out of regulation and runs DD to power the XR-E. So itrs really designed to be run at voltages higher than ~3.6V. In other words, you are under powering the R2-M considering what it was designed for. FWIW, of all my "R2" BIN'd modules the solarforce R2-M is the dimmest.

Also keep in mind that an R2 BIN is not going to be significantly brighter than a Q5, and may actually be dimmer depending on how much current the circuit designer decides to send too the XR-E.

Manufacturers stir up such a hoopla regarding Q5 versus R2 BINs. IMHO it is more marketing hype than anything else. IMHO drive current and heatsinking abilities of the host is a more important design factor than the emitter BIN used.

Take this DIY... The first light is an $18 Husky (P4 BIN) that I direct drive modded off an 18650 cell. it has a polycarbonate plastic lens and plastic reflector. The second is a Malkoff M60 hosted by a SF-M2, powered by a pair of trustfire cells at 8.4V. Ceiling bounce comparisons show the malkoff brighter but (IMHO) its not a night and day difference, and definitely not a $205 difference (based strictly on lumen output).

dscn0547vl0.jpg

dscn0545mi1.jpg

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your Fenix LD20 have a SMO reflector?

Doesn't the Solarforce L2M Short R2 have an OP reflector?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a solarforce L2m I just got and its a 5 mode with an R2 in it.I only have the short body right now so its running off 1 surefire 3.0 volt battery.

Its is about half as bright as my Fenix LD20 which is 2 AA = 3 Volt why is this considering its an R2? If I get the extended body will it then increace the Voltage at least 6 volt with 2 surefire 123's? Therefore increasing lumens by double?

L2 Short [ 1 x CR123A ] 3.7v Extended body is for 18650 Batt [ same voltage as 3.6/7 RCR123A ]

Ive only seen two Cree for Solarforce , 3.7 and 3-8.4v .

If its 3.7 and you push in over 6V , you will most likely fry it .
Pull the head of and see what cree is in there .

I ordered a L2 - R2 3 - 8.4v and got the 3.7 ...
Thinking I had what I ordered I put in some primary CR123A batts , and got 8000Lux on Hi , I thought it was a little high , so I pulled the flashy apart and found it to be the 3.7V version ... [ 18650 ]

bullettproof

Enlightened
This is what I have R2-M 5 Mode so ??????

SolarForce is a new flashlight company from Hong Kong, offering innovative new designs.

- Module consists of a Cree LED and an aluminum reflector (light orange-peel-textured reflective coating)
- Two models available: Single, or 5 modes (3 Levels+Flashing+SOS-signaling)
- Input voltage: 3V-12.6V (Single) or 3V-8.4V (5 modes)
- Compatible with the Solarforce L2 and Surefire's P-series flashlights

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using RCR123 on my L2M, it's bright. But my L2 with 2x123 is brighter.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

SolarForce is a new flashlight company from Hong Kong, offering innovative new designs.

- Module consists of a Cree LED and an aluminum reflector (light orange-peel-textured reflective coating)

Yeah , Mine is R2-M 5 mode , 3.7 V , ill take a picture .

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the other side it has L1 .

OK , there are 3 set ups from what I saw .

3 to 12.6V - single mode .
3 to 8.4 - 5 mode
3.7 to 4.2 - 5 Mode

If you have 5 mode , its 3.7V or 3 - 8.4V . The short L2 usually comes with the 3.7V . But then I ordered a 3-8.4V L2 and got the 3.7V Cree ??
Go figure .

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened

Hi bulletproof.

We know what kind of light you have, it is in the title. As stated before, to really know what you're dealing with you need to remove the head of the light, pull out the P60 module and read the sticker that should be on the side of of the module, like Olds did. If you need help, PM me.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to find an R2M that will work at max efficiency with a 3 volt primary.
These lights are made for RCR-123 batteries (or 16340's as Solarforce puts it)
http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-869/CREE-LED/Detail
I have had many of these lights and I have yet to find any of them that work with 3 volt primary CR123 batteries. Actually, I suppose I should rephrase that, the lights will function with primary CR123's but not nearly as efficiently as they should be functioning (i.e. the difference from ~ 50 lumens of output to ~ 200 lumens of output).
So, I would suggest dropping a RCR-123 in the light and seeing what an amazing difference it makes.
- Jimdo

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have yet to find an R2M that will work at max efficiency with a 3 volt primary.
These lights are made for RCR-123 batteries (or 16340's as Solarforce puts it)
http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-869/CREE-LED/Detail
I have had many of these lights and I have yet to find any of them that work with 3 volt primary CR123 batteries. Actually, I suppose I should rephrase that, the lights will function with primary CR123's but not nearly as efficiently as they should be functioning (i.e. the difference from ~ 50 lumens of output to ~ 200 lumens of output).
So, I would suggest dropping a RCR-123 in the light and seeing what an amazing difference it makes.
- Jimdo

Actually, the LED is functioning at near peak efficiency on 1xCR123 direct drive. It also just happens that it's not very bright at that level.

seaside

Enlightened
But then I ordered a 3-8.4V L2 and got the 3.7V Cree ?? Go figure .

They don't like custom request. When I emailed them for it, I don't get any reply for that matter even if they are pretty quick at reply for other matters. I figured that they just want me to buy another bulb if I need anything other than the one comes with the light. That'll be another $20 for them.

Anyway, 3.7V bulb is for one RCR123 rechargable. It won't be bright when used with 3.0V primary.