Is There a List of "Trusted" Flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surefire seems to be the gold standard but is there a list of lights and their trustworthiness? If not, can you help me out with a list of brands that are "up there."

From browsing the board I know that Surefire and Fenix seem to be the most adored. Can you please expand on that list? Solarforce seems to be a winner from the threads as well. Would be nice to have a list something like:

Surefire - Platinum
Fenix - 24k Gold
Solarforce - 14k Gold

I know maybe a star ranking would be better. Yes I know people have their own opinions on what would go on this list, but maybe we can sort it out on this thread?

I have an idea? How about everyone ranks their 5 most trusted flashlight brands?

The thing is, not everyone can afford surefires all the time, so maybe this will help the entry level guys try out the lower entry flashlights first before moving into the big boys.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for making this an awesome forum.

Thanks for starting your list fenix-rules. Funny to see your screen name and placing fenix 3rd. Isn't that a little sacreligious? Ha ha. Just joking. :laughing:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Surefire
2. Ra
3. Malkoff (not really a brand but...)
4. Arc
5. Host bodies: Leef and Fivemega

Don't really have enough exerience with other brands...

foxtrot29

Enlightened
What about:

Streamlight
Pelican

I do agree with Surefire being at the top of that list, although I'm not a huge Fenix fan myself... I do have a nice E01 on my keychain, and had an L1D which had an amazing tint to it, but I've since sold it.

OceanView

Enlightened
Surefire seems to be the gold standard but is there a list of lights and their trustworthiness?
How are you defining "trustworthy"? Because I can think of a number of different meanings. For example, if you mean, "I can trust my life on it in even the harshest situation," then I personally would not rank Fenix or Solarforce anywhere near the top of my own list. Do you mean the chance of getting a lemon right out of the box? Do you mean a company that doesn't fudge or overly hype its products specs? Do you mean a company that will stand behind its product 100% even if something goes wrong? These are all very different ways for a light or manufacturer being "trustworthy" to me.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i would rate my lights.

I think this thread is pretty useless as it will probably cause more bickering than good.
:grin2:

These are my experiences with lights i own

Surefire-- Why? Never had a real problem and quality feel is Awsome.
Warranty is great.

Inova..never had a problem with those either..built like a tank.

Ra Twisty
Hold one in your hand and you will know what im talking about.

McGizmo T-PD-S
Indestructible.

Other Newcomers that still have to prove themsevles to me.

Novatac,Arc 6 Jetbeam, Decent lights so far.

Nitecore,Fenix.

All good lights,but i dont have any trust in them if the poop hits the fan...yet.
To many problems to be dealt with due to poor QC.

Examples..
Nitecore- Had to many boards come loose inside..Nitecore infinity.
UI issues.
Fenix they work,but they doesent feel quality to me..hard to explain..
Ive had plenty of them but none of the new Tank lights with 2xCR123
Jetbeam..My favorite of the newcomers .Finish and Ha is perfect and they just work.
Cool looking aswell.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My trusted lights? Surefire & McGizmo. I WOULD completely trust my life to lights from these two.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned them. I have a 3D maglite with a Malkoff drop-in running off of 4 eneloops and couldn't be happier. Really puts the mag back in maglite.

very durable that combo, i know its gonna be one of those lights i regret selling but im phasing into the tiny lights sector thats pocketable ,single 123,aa or 2aa ....trying to get out of heavy D's :laughing:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I haven't seen the LiteFlux folks mentioned. Great products out of Taiwan with excellent service from Khoo and EliteLED. And, there's LRI (the Photon people from Oregon) for more unique lights and service as good as it gets.

Geoff

JamisonM

Enlightened
very durable that combo, i know its gonna be one of those lights i regret selling but im phasing into the tiny lights sector thats pocketable ,single 123,aa or 2aa ....trying to get out of heavy D's :laughing:
Come on, I can pocket my 3D maglite, it just sticks out. I just need deeper pockets I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.