Can't decide on EDC light. PD20 or EX10?

madmike283

Newly Enlightened
I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two. I'm looking for a small (pocketable in jeans front pocket) light for EDC. I don't mind cr123, I'll be using them in my 9P sized body with M60 as well until I move to 2x18500. I'd like at least a couple of different modes, low/high, and ideally I'd like to turn it on at a set level no matter what level that I turn that light off. I don't think either of these fit that bill though, right? A clip could be useful, but not a requirement.

I don't want to spend more than ~$60 since there seem to be plenty in that price range that are far capable. The infinite adjustment isn't a need, modes are fine. I guess everyone's right, there is no *perfect* light. It seems that the PD20s low isn't that low. I don't need to have a great thrower, just a nice spill at a medium level for finding my way around an occasional dark construction site, working in my fire alarm panels when the light is dim, etc. A low low would be nice for those times I want to retain night vision or not disturb those around me.

I don't care for anything that's too complicated to program or operate. A simple three-mode with 5/60/120 lumen or the like with the ability to set to turn on at a selectable level each time would be perfect I think. Is there something out there like that at ~$60 and at the same small size as the two mentioned above? I've searched and fried my brain way too much. I've read the 1xcr123 shootout and there's tons of great info in there as well. If you have any input I'd appreciate it.

Mike

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm sure everyone's getting really tired of seeing me recommend the LiteFlux LF3XT, but it would seem to meet all your requirements. It is a direct competitor of the lights you mention, but it can do so much more. It has a very low level if needed, is plenty high enough, will come on where you want it to, and can be programmed for any level in between. If you want it simple it can be, or you can set it up for five different levels or types of output. Perfect? Maybe not, but probably as close as $60 will get you.

Geoff

TaschenlampeMann

Newly Enlightened
I have both these lights because I had the same problem you did. That's also why I have a bunch of other single 123 lights.....hence my presence on this forum.

However, for your case I might recommend the EX10 over the PD20 because of it's nice low low.

Happy hunting!:twothumbs

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD has a Cree Q3 6 Mode + Memory [ 1 x CR123A ] $19 USD
Ultrafire has a 1 x CR123A 5 mode for $10.90 USD

I have the Q3 in my pocket right now , Lo is 15 Lumen so should have good run time , and Hi is 3300Lux @ 1 meter and has great throw for such a small light . Has a belt clip , and is small enough for pocket carry .

Med is 1200Lux , the other 3 modes are just trick , and I wish flashy companies would stop including them ...

If they need modes = Lo - Med - Hi - ultra Lo in that order would be what most would want [ I do in anyway ] And if the flashy started on Lo or Med that would be just great . END RANT !

Anyway , take a long hard look over at KaiDomain and DealExtreme and remember KD seems to ship faster than DX .
Dont forget Flea Bay - Try Solarforce . [ Mini L2 ] I have the regular L2 R2 5 mode with memory , and for what I paid :thumbsup:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
PD20 = Brighter, more durable, set modes.
EX10 = custom modes, smaller, lower low.

I would get the PD20, a higher high is more useful than a lower low in my case.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'd like at least a couple of different modes, low/high, and ideally I'd like to turn it on at a set level no matter what level that I turn that light off. I don't think either of these fit that bill though, right? A clip could be useful, but not a requirement.

Fenix might match that requirement, with the head loose it always comes on at the lowest level, with the head tight it will come on at the highest level.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because you said you think you've narrowed it down to these two, I'm going to recommend the LiteFlux LF3XT also. My EX10 & P2D (very nearly the same as a PD20) stay at home now that I have an LF3XT. It can be setup to be as simple as you want, like on and off only, or as elaborate as you want with multiple settings in 2 different modes that are too numerous to mention, or anywhere in between. You get to set it up to where it's perfect, for you. It's all topped off with a beautiful smooth beam that is artifact free. What's not to like?

Selfbuilt's review.

Another informative thread.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
As EDC, smaller and easier to use are better for me. No strobes, no SOS, simple to use and pocket friendly (unlike my LF3XT with sharp tail edges although it's a great light.)

So EX10 is my choice. :D

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the two, I'd go for the EX10 because of the lower-low. It's a very simple light to operate and very popular for a reason.

XD9

Enlightened
I will go with the EX10. To me it has a better build and is simpler to use. I really dont like presets I like to have control over my lumens. Dont get me wrong the PD20 Q5 is a grate light but to me it feels like if you drop it from a distance it wont take the shock as well...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will go with the EX10. To me it has a better build and is simpler to use. I really dont like presets I like to have control over my lumens. Dont get me wrong the PD20 Q5 is a grate light but to me it feels like if you drop it from a distance it wont take the shock as well...

I feel exactly the opposite on that issue. There are a few pics on the forum of the Nitecore PD lights splitting right in half just from everyday use. I have never seen a picture of any other flashlight doing that even from rough treatment in the 8 yrs I've been on CPF. The wall thicknesses at the threads are very thin. Also a small dent in the battery tube wall could prevent the piston from moving as well. And as shown by the issues others have had with LiIon the tolerances on the parts have to be perfect for the light to work correctly. I really like the smart PD UI, but I feel like I'm holding something delicate like and Ipod, not something industrial.

I'd say if you want you light to come on in either Max or med-low (~9lm), then the PD20 is a good way to go. If you want your light to come on at a really low level or some intermediate level of your choosing than the LF3XT is very cool but you will have to learn how to program it, and it is very complex.

Also, Fenix does not have LiIon support if you decide to go rechargeable in the future.

XD9

Enlightened
@cave Dave:

Now you got me thinking... I am going to go and buy a EX10 and get my PD20 and put them both to the test. For the EX10 to bend all the way to the piston must take a nice bang from the side in edge like area... But I am not doubting you I am going to test it out and report back :)
I did experience the EX10 having a very high tolerance build in the piston but it was taken care with some DeoxIT and about the tolarnce on the parts i can see that happening so i wont argue that part. any ways hopefully I get some money together and get a EX10.... Right now I just spent over 400 dollars in lights here in CPF :p

litetube

Enlightened
The thin wall breaking issue has been resolved by Nitecore though it never should have happend in the first place I will agree.

The battery lenght issue seems to be more of a D10 issue thatn the Ex10 I think ?

The D10 was originally more susceptible to damage from a drop at the front end and the result was compromised water resistance and the window breaking ? The light still functioned if I remember correctly but some, myself included wondered if 7000 series Alum. was actually being used.
With the EX10 you have a protective bezel ring which has also been improved and you can also get a beefy Ti bezel which gives even more protection.

I have had a fenix 1xcr2123 clikcy , one of the earlier ones not the most recent version which does seem beefier and more rugged i will say that. But as compared to the original version, the Ex10 seems just as rugged if not more so than the Fenix and the switch alone to me is more reliable than the Fenix clicky or any clicky switch for that matter.

I would go Ex10 but you do sacrifice a little runtime I think but you also get RCR compatibility and simple 2 modes with an adjustable 3rd.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 18500 batteries don't fit the stock 9P. They are too wide. I think 17500s fit.

As for the two lights, the EX10 gives you more control over the output and is smaller. The PD20 has battery tube options and can come on on max or min.

kts

Enlightened

Better built, you must be joking :duh2::eek:

Make a little research and you will find lots of threads on EX10/D10..lights falling apart, bezels falling off, non-functioning pistons, and it will drain the batteries when its sits unused.:thumbsdow

Fenix suffers from non of these problems and is brighter, to me the choice would be simple..Fenix..no contest.:twothumbs

XD9

Enlightened
Better built, you must be joking :duh2::eek:

Make a little research and you will find lots of threads on EX10/D10..lights falling apart, bezels falling off, non-functioning pistons, and it will drain the batteries when its sits unused.:thumbsdow

Fenix suffers from non of these problems and is brighter, to me the choice would be simple..Fenix..no contest.:twothumbs
Again I dont own one it was my sole opinion base on the feel of the Light build. Yes maybe doing some research will tell me more. But again I will experience it my self.

Thank You!

wbp

Enlightened
Mike,
Any chance you might be in SF Bay area? I have both and you can compare. Also LF3XT.
wbp

madmike283

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the info guys, although you've made my decision no easier! lol Figures. I don't like the sound of the random problems with the EX10. I haven't been around too long and obviously haven't read everything on the forum, but I don't recall seeing any QC or any other problems with the PD20, P2D, or LF3XT yet...

Mike,
Any chance you might be in SF Bay area? I have both and you can compare. Also LF3XT.
wbp

wpb, No I'm not. Thanks for the offer though.

The 18500 batteries don't fit the stock 9P. They are too wide. I think 17500s fit.

Gunner12, I'll actually be using an FM 2x18500 body.

Last edited:

PetaBread

Enlightened
IMHO, since i have the LF3XT, i dont even think about buying the EX10 or

the PD20.

P.S. I recommend you use to search function (CPF only) for more info on the EX10, PD20, and the LF3XT.

Last edited: