Bomb-proof dive light mod – an Incan version

DM51

Flashaholic
Bomb-proof dive light mod – an Incan version

This is a mod done on a "Bomb-proof host", as sold here, with discussion continued here.

LED mods of this host have already been done, including:

P7 version by wquiles
MC-E version by olrac
4x High-CRI P4 version by MWClint

I decided to go the Incan route with mine.

B2Coperational.jpg

Incan light underwater has disadvantages at medium and long distances, due to the absorption by water of red (longer-wavelength) light, but for short distances less than 5m (15ft) the color rendition is greatly superior to that of LED light, which is already heavily over-weighted in blue. For viewing underwater life in true colors, including during the daytime, incan light is by far the best.

I settled on 2x AW "C" Li-Ion cells and a WA 1111 bulb. The reflector would be a Fivemega New Gen Hybrid FM2 Reflector, which can be made to fit perfectly into the light's head.

B2Creflectorgeneral1.jpg
B2Creflectorgeneral2.jpg

I spent some time thinking about which bulb-holder to use, and eventually decided on the G4 socket that is used with the Fivemega G4 D26 Sunlight reflector. The D26 reflector itself would obviously not be required.

B2Csocket1.jpg
B2Csocket2.jpg

The advantages of using this bulb-holder would be twofold: first, it has a built-in spring for one terminal, the other terminal being grounded; and second, in a suitably threaded adapter housing, the screw adjustment could be used to focus the bulb precisely in the reflector. The adapter housing would have to be specially made to fit correctly inside the body of the light.

Work to the body of the light.

It was not necessary to take the head/body join apart. The hole in the head had to be enlarged to take the base of the reflector, which has a 29 mm diameter protrusion with a shallow 32.5 mm dia step to it.

B2Creflectormeasurements.jpg

With the hole enlarged to 29 mm, and the body tube's internal diameter being 30.5 mm, this leaves a 0.75 mm lip at the head end of the tube for the socket holder to rest on. On the reflector side, a shallow 32.5 mm diameter recess was left for the stepped base of the reflector (as mentioned above).

Left: before; Right: after

B2Cheadhole1.jpg
B2Cheadhole2.jpg

The HA on the end of the body tube was ground down with a dremel to expose the bare metal, as it would need to make electrical contact with the tailcap. This was a quick and easy job.

B2Ctailano1.jpg
B2Ctailano2.jpg

Modification of the reflector

There is a lip on the edge of the reflector which was machined off to reduce its diameter so it would fit inside the head.

B2Creflectordiam1.jpg
B2Creflectordiam2.jpg

The reflector is a shade too deep to fit. The lens needs to seat firmly on to the shoulder inside the head. 10 minutes of careful sandpapering took the rim of the reflector down ~0.05mm – enough for a perfect fit. This obviously produced some tiny particles of Al dust; all that was necessary was to blow them off. At no time during any process was the reflective surface itself touched!

B2Creflectordepth1.jpg
B2Creflectordepth2.jpg

Socket holder

This was the key component that had to be made.

Drawing:

B2Cholderdrawing.jpg

Finished component, machined in Aluminium:

B2Cholder1.jpg
B2Cholder2.jpg

B2Cholder3.jpg

Socket installed in holder:

B2Cholderandsocket1.jpg
B2Cholderandsocket2.jpg

Tailcap, soft contact

The idea here was to make the electrical/battery tail contact a soft one, with some give, instead of the battery having a hard contact against the tailcap. A 34mm diameter thin-gauge steel disc was seated inside the tailcap using "sticky fixers", which are pads with double-sided adhesive. The sticky pads give some shock-absorbency to the tail end.

B2Cdisc1.jpg
B2Cdisc2.jpg

Battery tube

I'm lazy, lol. One day I'll make a proper delrin tube for the 2x "C" cells, but in the meantime I've rolled them in paper to ensure a snug fit and prevent rattling. It's not very professional and I can sense the pained expressions on the faces of the real CPF modders here when they see such a travesty, but paper actually works fine. In fact, it's the perfect solution to a lot of the "how do I stop my cells rattling" posts that appear around the forum.

B2Cbatttube1.jpg
B2Cbatttube2.jpg

Completion

B2Cnearlyfinished.jpg

B2Cheadcomplete.jpg

I am delighted with this build. The host is extremely sturdy, and the light will provide ~800 lumens for 45 mins run-time. I spent some time adjusting the focus, using the screw action of the bulb holder to achieve the optimum position of the filament. This Fivemega reflector is superb. Below are 2 beamshots, 1 taken at normal exposure (¼ sec at f2.8) and the second one stopped right down to 1/250 sec at f2.8. These pics were taken in daylight with the curtains drawn. The target is a high ceiling, 12½ feet from the light. Before anyone complains of the tint, the ceiling is NOT white – it is a sort of peach color (chosen by Mrs. DM51).

¼ sec at f2.8:
B2Cbeamshot1.jpg

1/250 sec at f2.8:
B2Cbeamshot2.jpg

Possible variants

An alternative bulb holder would be the Fivemega T1.5 holder. It has the same threading (it fits the same D26 reflector), so it would be easy to swap between the two. This would enable the use of smaller bulbs such as the FM1794.

AW's soon-to-be-released IMR 26500 cells (C-size) will be ~3mm shorter (total ~6mm for 2 cells) than the discontinued "C" Li-Ions, but with a spacer they would work very well with this set up.

I'll be taking it diving soon, and will report back.

B2Coperational.jpg

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful take on this host and great execution. :twothumbs
That beam is outstanding.
Definitely let us know how you like it for diving, I haven't had the opportunity to take mine down yet.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Amazing work DM51 and I really enjoyed your post and pictures. I imagine it will be an excellent light for general use as well as diving, and look forward to your further review on how well it works. It sure has a perfectly collimated beam and must be an amazing thrower. I can tell the Fivemega reflector you chose is very smooth yet strippled to give it that flawless smooth beam.

How does it compare to the SF M6 in throw? What is its maximum beam range in a pitch dark setting?

MWClint

Enlightened
Re: Bomb-proof dive light mod – an Incan version

Sweet Mod! Going Incan is a really nice twist to see in this host.

Did you replace the 5mm poly with a 2mm borofloat, or did you have to go with a thicker glass to get it to seal on the inner oring?

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind comments, especially you guys who have done your own versions. Having done my own now, I can appreciate the amount of work required, and mine was a very great deal simpler than yours!

I used the stock 5 mm poly (Lexan?) lens. 2 mm glass would not be up to the job at depth, and the bezel fitting is designed for a 5 mm thick lens anyway. I'm not planning extended use for it out of the water, so I think the poly lens should be OK. It would be interesting to know of a source for 5mm glass that size, though.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa!... I didn't know you had machining capability, DM. Awesome socket holder!

Nice to see a hotwire Bomb-Proof. Great mod!

If the plastic lens has problems, any 'ol piece of 3/16" non-tempered glass should be easy enough to find, and cut. No idea of the dive rating it would hold to, but being of fairly small diameter vs. thickness, good chance it'd be pretty strong. Tempered would be stronger, but it'd have to be custom made as you can't cut glass after tempering.

P.S. A quick search for custom cut tempered glass just gave me an idea of how expensive this option would be. I checked out onedayglass.com, ran the specs through their online ordering system, and got a quote of $38 per piece, and a minimum shipping option of $22. :sick2:

DM51

Flashaholic
I didn't know you had machining capability, DM.
Only limited, I'm afraid - I had to get someone else to do that threading for me.

these guys offer 5mm thick AR coated pyrex..it's all custom cut in packs of ten

i'll shoot off an email later and if the price is not laughable, maybe we can start a group buy.
That would be a great idea! Let's hope they aren't too much $$$.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.. that was a good creation and I haven't seen it yet, because I usually do CPF searchs with "Barbolight" word to see what is going on... But as long as you are a too moderated moderator you didn't wrote the brand on any moment, so I missed this one.

Congratulations, and please don't be too shy. You can use our brand whenever you feel like, even for negative comments.

Javier

DM51

Flashaholic
You can use our brand whenever you feel like, even for negative comments.
Thanks, and I can report having dived with it that I have absolutely no negative comments at all - it is a great host, and a very small, neat light for one that takes 2x C-cells and a WA 1111. It's easy to use, and great for true color rendition underwater.

For general purposes however, wquiles's, MWClint's or Olrac's LED versions are going to be more practical, with longer run-time and greater reliability (no bulb to blow).

It is a tribute to this host that there are so many different possible ways to set it up.

MWClint

Enlightened
Re: Bomb-proof dive light mod – an Incan version

Did you get anywhere with your enquiry?

never got an email response. and then i forgot about it.

thanks for the reminder. looks like i'll have to call them up.

fyi: lighthound just got the imr c's in stock again today.. grabbed a pair this
morning for my barbolight. the stock AA carriers worked...but the terminals
did get a bit too toasty for my liking.