Should I Continue Writing My Flashlight Article?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a month ago, a buddy of mine wanted me to write a short article about flashlights for his outdoor community website. So I started writing one section at a time whenever I can. It became one page, two pages, three pages ... now it's up to 14 pages and I'm only about 1/2 way done! The question is, should I continue?

I haven't finalized the title yet, but tentatively, it's called, "Flashlights Defined – What Classifies as a Good Emergency / Survival Flashlight"

Below is the topics that I'm planning to cover ... some more may be added or removed.

(I) Features to Consider:
a. Quality vs. Price
b. LED vs. Incandescent
c. Size for EDC
d. Beam Profile
e. Output vs. Runtime
f. Power of Multi-mode
g. Programmable Flashlights
h. Switching Mechanisms
i. Bewildering Array of Battery Options
j. Flashlight body type
k. Flashlight coating
L. Other nitpicks - candlemode, pocket clip, lanyard hole, etc.

(II) Geographic Region Considerations

(III) Carrying Options

(IV) How Many Flashlights do I need?

(V) Warning - Marketing claims and Fradulent Products

(VI) Recommendations:
a. EDC
b. Great Outdoors
c. For Home
d. For Car
e. Bugout Bag

(VII) Where to buy

I've completed about 2/3 of features section and it seems like a long way to go. I'm planning on making this very comprehensive with lots of photos. Howver, I may be just wasting my efforts if there are any similar articles out there. The ones that I've found so far are from like amazon and other retailers that aren't that great.

What do you guys think? Should proceed?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
it sounds like an good idea. havent seen one yet.

you are not in hurry or deadline.. take a pause if in doubt.. or make it a sequel :) ..

those articles that i have seen that do touch the subject are outdated and not that comprehensive. and lack pictures! or are badly biased.

an open eyed apporach is needed. one that dont put down a light just because for what it costs, where it was made etc.

"made in america by americans to americans" really is not the way world runs anymore. that does not automatically mean it is the best (if it ever did mean that)

person can get almost same quality for less money from other manufacturer.

i personally can justify buying 100dollar light if it gives me more than 50% of the stuff that 300$ light can offer me. that way i can buy 2 of them and still save 100 for to buy another if one fails or newer better one comes for sale. -One is None method-

lifetime quarantee is pointless in my mind. lights evolve so fast that i cant see the need for that.

in the old days 80s incan maglite was still useful in 90s.. i could do in early 2000s but now it is just obsolete to current technology. just too big compared to light output and bulb life etc.

dont think current lights can stand their ground like maglite did once and fight the output war and usefulness more than 5years.

hmm it expands easily when you start to dwelve into something in depth..
its like my posts. i try to keep them as short as possible and always seem to end up with 10 lines or more text! hahah.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks GreenLED, all I need is a little push.

I haven't seen a comprehensive review with the contents you outline. Keep it up!

The goal of the article is not going be pushing readers to purchase a particular model made from a particular country. Mainly, it'll be focused on the features that you want to look for. I'm sure the average Joe probably haven't seen a multi-mode, programmable flashlight before. I'm not even going to cover on the flashaholics dramas and politics. lovecpf

Mainly, I'm trying to make it as untechnical as possible, using simple languages and ocassionally I will be using some technically "inaccurate" but easy to understand analogies that allows them to understand the concepts better. I'm read some articles on LEDs and they made my eyes glazed over ... can't understand the language.

I don't have experiences with DX and KD lights, so I'm still debating whether I want to point them to BessieBunny's very detailed page about buget flashilghts comparisons. I'm afraid the reader will end up buying a POS light or an SF replicas.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you should.

Since there're no comprehensive books (up-to-date) and magazines about flashlights, the community should be kept aware of the light types and their uses, the technology advancement and the comprehensive range to meet all kinds of needs. And the best part is, once they're aware, they might stop asking us "Why do you need another light?" :laughing:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
"xcel730: Mainly, I'm trying to make it as untechnical as possible, using simple languages and ocassionally I will be using some technically "inaccurate" but easy to understand analogies that allows them to understand the concepts better. I'm read some articles on LEDs and they made my eyes glazed over ... can't understand the language."

yea, definate need for such.

been coming here in cpf for few months regularly now (i think 5 or 6) i am still confused of the topics.. especially at marketplace. the letter number cyphering abilities of mine are still weak.

like this topic:
$$ Surefire L6 w/ SW02, Same w/ Q5, Black E2E, TAN Scout Light, Camo Aleph 1&2 Cell.

or this: FS: SF Z61 (Price Drop) and VG FB-2 BK(Sold)
or this: WTS: Surefire 3P/KL5A/L2/L1/Parts
or this: FS: *MINT* HDS B42XRGT [FREEBIES ADDED!!!]

errmmmm.. what???
there are familiar words in them but they dont help. hahah

so flashholic= regular people dictionary would be useful too.

about cheap lights. hmm.. i think they should be in it. but as separate section.
many people really are not willing to pay 50 for small light. they have been taught bigger it is, brighter it is (maglites) bigger it is more sturdy it is. etc.

how to justify a 1aa light that costs twice what 2d maglite? many say no thanks. even if would be brighter etc.

and explain thoroughtly that with cheap lights you get much variation of quality control. few are good, some are ok, most are bad.

if you dont need the light to function every time for next few years, one can get a cheaper light.

but if your life does depend of working light, spend money in it (camping, leo, security etc).

you might encourage people to buy a cheap lights as backups to their better lights or to loan to others (like i do)

or to buy few of them at the same time and spread them around so you have similar light available everywhere if one fails on you. (like i do)

and i dont expect as much from cheap one. it can fail and i dont feel that cheated as i would when a expensive light fails on me.

i think they belong to this hobby too, the cheap lights.

there are people that want to squeeze every penny till it bleeds..

no. make that till it STOPS bleeding.

aikiman44

Enlightened
Great idea, can't wait to read it.
There are certainly enough interested people to guarantee it being read.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you have very comprehensive content. Keep it up. Maybe when you are done it can be available as a PDF file for newbies.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip snip>
been coming here in cpf for few months regularly now (i think 5 or 6) i am still confused of the topics.. especially at marketplace. the letter number cyphering abilities of mine are still weak.

like this topic:
$$ Surefire L6 w/ SW02, Same w/ Q5, Black E2E, TAN Scout Light, Camo Aleph 1&2 Cell.

or this: FS: SF Z61 (Price Drop) and VG FB-2 BK(Sold)
or this: WTS: Surefire 3P/KL5A/L2/L1/Parts
or this: FS: *MINT* HDS B42XRGT [FREEBIES ADDED!!!]

errmmmm.. what???
there are familiar words in them but they dont help. hahah

LOL. I visited CPF for about 6 months lurking around before I joined year. I had the same initial reaction like WTH are these people talking about. Now everything you posted up there make sense to me.

<snip snip snip>
and explain thoroughtly that with cheap lights you get much variation of quality control. few are good, some are ok, most are bad.

<snip snip>

you might encourage people to buy a cheap lights as backups to their better lights or to loan to others (like i do)

That's exactly what I'm writing. Though I haven't yet added any links to BessieBunny's comparison review or links to DX or KD because i have my reservations. Here's my rougher than sandpaper draft of a section relating to quality:

========
Typically, high quality comes with a high price tag. However, there is a point of diminishing return. A $500 flashlight does not necessarily mean that it will perform better than a $100 flashlight. Everyone is in a different financial situation, so my recommendation is to stick with the highest quality that you could afford. Having a limited financial means is not an excuse to settle with sub par quality. It is possible to purchase a high quality flashlight at a reasonable cost if you are willing to forgo some features or perhaps purchase previous generation models from a reputable manufacturer at a reduced cost. Also, this may come to a surprise to you, but there are many flashlight enthusiasts that are the first to purchase the newest flashlight models that release. Marketers have coined the term "innovator" to describe these individuals. Innovators typically pride themselves and are willing to pay a premium for being the first to purchase a desirable item. After a few months when product floods the market, innovators would oftentimes sell the product in new or like-new conditions at a bargain price to subsidize the purchase of another new product. If you are patient, you could exploit the buying behaviors from the innovators and purchase what they don't want. In addition, for flashlight enthusiasts, the cosmetic finishing of the flashlight is equally important as the features. Any dents, nicks, and scratches on a flashlight, you could expect a deeper discount. For our intended purposes, we could care less whether a flashlight is brand new in a box or if it looks like someone has used it to play fetch with Fido as long as the flashlight is functional. A good place to seek quality second-hand flashlights is Candlepowerforum's Marketplace.

=======

carrot

Flashaholic
There is always room for more knowledge. Feel free to reference my guide if you run low on ideas.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to write a condensed version in addition to the main in-depth article. I can't imagine anyone but a flashaholic reading a ~30 page article on flashlights.

:buddies:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, this might end up being a book on flashlight. I agree that I should come up with a condensed version ... that'll be after I'm done with the bible, I mean article.

Also, I'm planning on writing a summary that captures everything from the article. The key features that people should look for without the mumbo jumbo. So if people don't want to read everything, they could just jump to the end.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
Mainly, I'm trying to make it as untechnical as possible, using simple languages and ocassionally I will be using some technically "inaccurate" but easy to understand analogies that allows them to understand the concepts better.

Thats good, When I first got onto CPF, didn't understand anything and was like WTF??????????????????? You want to keep people interested through the whole article so keep up your untechnical language!

carrot

Flashaholic
You may find some of the material I have written to be useful to reference to, quote, or otherwise refer to. I am OK with you using it as long as you attribute the work properly.

Many of today's high-end flashlights use electronics to convert the energy from the battery into a more usable form for the light emitter. More specifically, almost every high-end LED flashlight uses some sort of circuit to control the amount of power going into the LED. Many high-end incandescent flashlights do not use circuitry but a precious few do, one such notable exception being the Surefire A2 Aviator. Most of these incandescent flashlights do not have circuitry because they were originally introduced back when circuitry was uncommon for use in flashlights. With the advent of LED flashlights, circuitry became a necessity to power the ever-improving LED technology. Incandescents lacking circuitry remain popular today due to their lower cost and reliable simplicity.

Some flashlights are more complicated to use than others. When multiple clicks or twists are required in order to access full or extra functionality of the light, then we usually call this a "smart" flashlight, and we define the system that you interact with as a user interface, henceforth referred to as a UI. A flashlight that just uses a simple on-off switch and nothing more to control the light can be called a "dumb" light, which of course is not necessarily any less useful as it depends on the user's preferences.

The great thing about "smart" or at least smarter flashlights is that they offer the option of both runtime and brightness. Formerly the process of picking a flashlight could be described as: "choose two: bright, long-lasting, small," but with the advent of these more complicated lights with user-selectable outputs is that you really can have your cake and eat it too, as the colloquial saying goes. With smart flashlights you mostly no longer have to choose between the three, but you can have it all.

Multi-mode versus multi-stage
Now some of you, including veteran flashlight enthusiasts may be scratching your head at this. I have noticed there seems to be no rigid definition for the two words so I have taken what seems to be reasonably agreed-upon definitions and am more solidly defining them here in order to more readily distinguish the sorts of options one has when choosing a flashlight. As more and more flashlights gain additional functionality over having simple on-off switches, it becomes important to classify the methodology and sort of functionality and interfaces given.

[...]

Programmability
Programmability is a feature often touted for allowing a user to make his/her light exactly the way s/he wants it. Since everyone has a different perception on what brightnesses are best, programmability allows a light to be adapted to the user, rather than vice versa. Surprisingly, programmability is not a very common feature, but I suspect that we will be seeing more and more programmable lights in the future. Programmability is a feature that is not easily pigeonholed into the either defined categories as there are programmable lights that normally function as either. So we will consider programmability as a further refinement of either category of smart lights. Some notable examples are the Arc4+ and its successor, the HDS EDC U-series. Programmability in a flashlight is often limited to allowing the user to set different levels of light output to the stages or modes that the flashlight's user interface offers. One exception is the Indium Smart, a light that was designed to be fully modular and to be fully programmable down to the features and UI through a simple program on the user's personal computer. Unfortunately the Indium Smart never made it to market besides a few prototypes.
http://cpf.carrot.googlepages.com/flashlight_guide#circuitry

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot,

Your article is very good. I skimmed through it and it's very well written with nicely flowed sentence structures. You're a very good writer.

ARggh... I wished I had posted here before I started writing 14 pages! :banghead: . After spending a month of writing and writing and researching I found your article. Okay, it was kind of fun too, I admit.

It seems like there are A LOT of stuff that I wrote that are duplicative of what you wrote ... including content organization. Either I'm really bad with Google, or I just simply couldn't find any decent flashlight articles. Everything I found points to retailers, and some refers to Mag-Lite as high-end flashlights. I'm sure I'll be using some stuff that you wrote. I'm going to add a "Thank You" section at the end to credit those who've helped and properly reference to your article if I quote it.

If you are interested, after I complete with the article, I could send you a draft before posting it up. It may take me a few more weeks to write and add photos, and it would probably take you just as long to read. :D Let me know carrot.

carrot

Flashaholic
Have fun. I think your article will end up taking a wider scope than my own which only serves to introduce the already inducted or infected (oops, addicted) to terminology that may be unfamiliar. Hopefully you will find my guide to be of some use in your venture.

I sure would like to see a sneak peak at the article when you're done, good luck and don't give up!

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
its all about what you are ready to sacrifice and compromise when buying new light.

checklist of things what you think as your priorities. cant expect that much from cheaper light.

i like carrots guides. they are very useful. but forgot them totally. :(

down the post i realised i went offtopic again and give a fair warning now :)

i made my own check lists and points system a while back.

here is some of the minus and plus points categories i made to myself for help choosing my pocket edc light.

like pocket clip:

+1 if it has it.
+2 if it has it and its solid.
extra +1 if its better than others (i like bezel down)
another extra +1 if it is reversable.

-2 if its hard to get one mounted or just impossible.
-1 if it doesnt have one but can be modified from some other light.

size:
my sweet spot seems to be around 20mm thick and 90mm long. thats according to my mitts. hah.
too short -1/-2 (gave ex10 -1 i think, might be too short 77mm)
too long -1/-2 (gave jetbeam pro st -1 as its on max size i would allow at 120mm long)

80-95mm got +1/+2 depending a bit of the shape of the light.
sharp and pointy bezel didnt get 2.

weight: -1 or +1
(lights above 120g were exluded)

thickness:
+1 if 18-23mm
+-0 25mm
-1 +25mm or under 18
-2 if huge (spartanian 2)

batteries:
primaries only -3
all rechargable batteries gets 1+
so aa gets +1 (if decent with alks nimh and liths extra +1)
and rcr123 gets +1
and 18650 also gets +1

all get extra +1 if works with 2 or more battery types (cr/18650 or aa/14500)

foward clicky with momentary +1
no momentary or its reverse clicky -2

UI:
custom output +3 (nitecores etc)
programmable modes +4 (+1 more if more than 3)

ease of use:
quick way to high and/or low +1 or +2
no memory mode in programmable light gets +1 from me

if not programmable
ramp up +1 (memory mode is a neg in this too so no extra +)
ramp down 0 or -1 depending if "low" is really low and will it start from medhilo or himedlo?
no memory in non programmable ramp down light gets -3

no sos and strobe +2
sos and strobe programmable away +3
sos strobe fixed on.. -2

regulation +1
non regulated or bad -1

lumens output:
better +2
normal +1
bad -1

runtime low mode:
better than others +3
good/normal +1
bad -1

runtime in high modes:
+2 if better than others.
+1 others
-2 worse than rest (dereelight c2h)

Led tint:
warm +3
warmish r2? +1
normal q5 0
cold etc -1

zoom +1

Orange peel +2
hybrid +1 (itp)
smooth 0

beam profile: (on edc i like flood)
tight, hardly no spill -2 (eagletacs)
normal +1
big and smooth +2

price:
what im ready to pay for it.. hmm 70.
<50 +4
50-65 +3
65-70 +2
70-75 +1
75-85 -2
85-100 -3
100-120 -4
120---5
delivery costs are counted into the lights price tag.

guarantee:
+1 if has one!
+2 if its good.
+1 if cheap enough or used high end light.

company reputation:
+1 or -1

reviews and raves/rants:
+2 to -2

delivery time:
+1 6-14 days (normal from usa to me)
+2 pickup locally or few days

-2 deal extreme month or more
-1 extra if backordered or preordered or just dont know.

hmm not sure if i forgot something.. most are there anyway.. this is bit offtopic, so wont go to look for the notebook.. its 4am and im tired.

little help it did.. rounded up 15 lights of which i was interested and did this .
and the top 3 or 4 candidates before i did the test were after it still only +/-1 point apart from each other.
and the runner ups were there too close by.

so now im hoping for some of them in top10 to either
price drop,
get a good deal with shipping,
new circuit with better runtime or ramping change,
new warm led,
find one used for bargain price,
get a clip installed,

and then do the math again :)

long post and got carried away.. sorry.. but happy that you read thru it. hope i made some sense. or nonsence.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, carrot's guide is making me lazy. As I sit here thinking about what to write, why should I spend more time whenre there's a good one out there already. :devil:

I kind of like you merit system. I may incorporate that at the end of the article. I've seen checklists before, but with a merit system, I could set it so that if it's less than a certain number, then forget it, if it's greater than a certain number, than buy it. Thanks!

its all about what you are ready to sacrifice and compromise when buying new light.

checklist of things what you think as your priorities. cant expect that much from cheaper light.

i like carrots guides. they are very useful. but forgot them totally. :(

down the post i realised i went offtopic again and give a fair warning now :)

i made my own check lists and points system a while back.

here is some of the minus and plus points categories i made to myself for help choosing my pocket edc light.

like pocket clip:

+1 if it has it.
+2 if it has it and its solid.
extra +1 if its better than others (i like bezel down)
another extra +1 if it is reversable.

-2 if its hard to get one mounted or just impossible.
-1 if it doesnt have one but can be modified from some other light.

size:
my sweet spot seems to be around 20mm thick and 90mm long. thats according to my mitts. hah.
too short -1/-2 (gave ex10 -1 i think, might be too short 77mm)
too long -1/-2 (gave jetbeam pro st -1 as its on max size i would allow at 120mm long)

80-95mm got +1/+2 depending a bit of the shape of the light.
sharp and pointy bezel didnt get 2.

weight: -1 or +1
(lights above 120g were exluded)

thickness:
+1 if 18-23mm
+-0 25mm
-1 +25mm or under 18
-2 if huge (spartanian 2)

batteries:
primaries only -3
all rechargable batteries gets 1+
so aa gets +1 (if decent with alks nimh and liths extra +1)
and rcr123 gets +1
and 18650 also gets +1

all get extra +1 if works with 2 or more battery types (cr/18650 or aa/14500)

foward clicky with momentary +1
no momentary or its reverse clicky -2

UI:
custom output +3 (nitecores etc)
programmable modes +4 (+1 more if more than 3)

ease of use:
quick way to high and/or low +1 or +2
no memory mode in programmable light gets +1 from me

if not programmable
ramp up +1 (memory mode is a neg in this too so no extra +)
ramp down 0 or -1 depending if "low" is really low and will it start from medhilo or himedlo?
no memory in non programmable ramp down light gets -3

no sos and strobe +2
sos and strobe programmable away +3
sos strobe fixed on.. -2

regulation +1
non regulated or bad -1

lumens output:
better +2
normal +1
bad -1

runtime low mode:
better than others +3
good/normal +1
bad -1

runtime in high modes:
+2 if better than others.
+1 others
-2 worse than rest (dereelight c2h)

Led tint:
warm +3
warmish r2? +1
normal q5 0
cold etc -1

zoom +1

Orange peel +2
hybrid +1 (itp)
smooth 0

beam profile: (on edc i like flood)
tight, hardly no spill -2 (eagletacs)
normal +1
big and smooth +2

price:
what im ready to pay for it.. hmm 70.
<50 +4
50-65 +3
65-70 +2
70-75 +1
75-85 -2
85-100 -3
100-120 -4
120---5
delivery costs are counted into the lights price tag.

guarantee:
+1 if has one!
+2 if its good.
+1 if cheap enough or used high end light.

company reputation:
+1 or -1

reviews and raves/rants:
+2 to -2

delivery time:
+1 6-14 days (normal from usa to me)
+2 pickup locally or few days

-2 deal extreme month or more
-1 extra if backordered or preordered or just dont know.

hmm not sure if i forgot something.. most are there anyway.. this is bit offtopic, so wont go to look for the notebook.. its 4am and im tired.

little help it did.. rounded up 15 lights of which i was interested and did this .
and the top 3 or 4 candidates before i did the test were after it still only +/-1 point apart from each other.
and the runner ups were there too close by.

so now im hoping for some of them in top10 to either
price drop,
get a good deal with shipping,
new circuit with better runtime or ramping change,
new warm led,
find one used for bargain price,
get a clip installed,

and then do the math again :)

long post and got carried away.. sorry.. but happy that you read thru it. hope i made some sense. or nonsence.

Latest posts