What do you guys use for your PC desktray weather app?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, the weather conditions forecast programs that put the temperature in your desktop tray where you can then click it for more information. I have been using Singer Creation weather watcher but it often times has difficulty obtaining the temperature and current conditions. I tried the weather channel one but it is riddled with ads and has crippled functionality for the basic one and I can't see paying $30 a year for it. There is a Firefox weather tool extension but that only works when Firefox is running.

What do you use?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just go to my WeatherUnderground page. They had free subscriptions last month, so I don't have to watch the ads.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not a fan of processes running in the background, I like to keep my PC as fast and light as possible (I have only one item in my system tray, NOD32 anti-virus, which is known for how little resources it consumes). I use the Firefox add-on, ForecastFox, since it only uses a fraction of a process within a process, and has absolutely no ads/spam/etc. The weather display only takes up a small portion of the statusbar (which is already there, it doesn't add unnecessary new toolbars or windows) and has a fully customizable display, so you only see the info you specifically want. It also alerts you immediately to local advisorys/watches/warnings, which not all the other weather programs do. And it's completely free, takes only a few seconds to download and a few seconds to install. Highly recommended.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forecast Fox is nice but only runs when your browser is enabled. I want a constant running process that displays the temp in the system tray or something similar to that.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, on my desktop I have three weather related apps.

First is Conky, showing me the current weather.
Second is the built in weather app in Gnome
Third is Google Gadgets' Weatherbug app.

Thats not in Windows though.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't run many apps. They are generally a HUGE security risk and they slow windows down to a crawl at times. I just go to wunderground or weather.com depending on what I'm looking for and find the information myself. Or I just take a step out the back door to see what it's like outside.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't run many apps. They are generally a HUGE security risk and they slow windows down to a crawl at times.

x2...

:barf:windows :sick2: doesn't need anything that further degrades reliability or imposes even more security risks. I hope no one is running a free-ware desktop weather "ticker" in the background with MS-IE. Thats asking for trouble.

I also want my OS as streamlined as possible (well.. at least as streamlined as I can get windows to be). Takes me 10 seconds to google local weather in the morning on Firefox with pop-up blocker activated.

*edited to add barf smilies*

Last edited:

seaside

Enlightened
I keep my window app minimum. No fancy theme, no background image, no eyecandy of any sort. I have only 5 icons on my screen, and they are recycle bin, internet explorer, winamp, KMPlayer and MS word.

For weather, I go weather.com whenever I need the info.

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
For standalone - I've always found Weatherbug to be quite nice - for both Linux and Windows.

As for Firefox extensions - Weatherbug also. (I always have a browser window open.)

For Firefox extensions, I've found both Accuweather and Forecastfox to be quite annoying - if I want to have alerts on(for bad weather). They have a tendency to keep on reminding me that the weather is good every so many times they check. :ohgeez:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try weatherbonk.com , click on the *Powermap* tab on the top row.

Zoom into your area.

Use top/right area of the map to click to show rain or clouds in your area.

It takes a while to learn how to use it. Be sure to allow cookies so it will remember your settings and map area you used last.

It's very precise for seeing rain/radar overlaid on a roadmap of your area. And it zooms in quite low level.

Try it ............. you'll like it .