Short review: Chinese focusable aspherical CREE

tommylight

Newly Enlightened
Found these some days ago, and as any respectful DIY human being i dismantled one of them the second i got home, so here it goes:
flashlight.jpg

groupfront.jpg

disassy.jpg
Assembled, the second picture one of them has the front removed, it slides back and forth for focusing the beam, and completely dismantled in the third pic, you can see the second one behind the parts.
lens.jpg

this is the lens on top of something so you get the idea of it's thickness.
It runs on 3 AAA batteries, has a 3 mode driver low, high, strobe and a reverse clickie on the back nicely recessed for tail standing. On freshly charged GP 800 mAh batteries it draws 0.22 A low, 1.1 A high, and aprox. 0.7 A on strobe. The beam goes from very wide to a nice square picture of the emitter on the wall, so it throws veryyyyy far. The led as far as i could figure is a CREE Q4, it has J writen on the star but no more info on it. I will check the driver and post back together with some beam shots as soon as posible. The quality of the light is impresive compared to other chinese lights i have ( some strange LED emitters on one of them!!!), the focusing is smooth but there is no way you can lock it at any given position between the min and max. Oh and a picture of the LED assembly.
ledassy.jpg

More to come.....

Last edited by a moderator:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if that will work with a Li-ion cell ?

How is the star attached to the pill ???

Last edited:

tommylight

Newly Enlightened
It does work with Li-Ion, on fully charged cell draws 0.24A on low, 1.2 A on high etc. I tested it with 2X CR123 and it works but on high it draws 1.7A so i thought it wont last much and ended the test after 15 seconds.
The star is mounted on top of the driver's aluminum holder/cooler and then press fitted so it is a decent job at cooling it. I had it turn on high for 40 minutes and the whole flashlight was quite hot.
assyback.jpg

This is the back of the assembly so you can clearly see the 2 aluminum parts.
Regards.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
waiting anxiously for beamshots ..wall and outside.

especially how wide hotspot is on certain distances would be nice to know with these zoomer lights.

i have thought about getting one of these just incase if i get the bug to start modifying lights.

did you take measurements of the led pill etc?

cheap "led lenser" always gets my attention.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a cheap focusing flashlight labeled as "WonDer Focusing Lens Cree P4." It looks like it's on backorder, so I will have to try to forget that I ordered it so that when it gets here I will be surprised. I've never had an LED flashlight. Heck, I've not really had any flashlights other than no-name incandesent no-name plastic pieces of junk.
This flashlight looks relatively decent, but judging by the name, I think it is probably chinese too.

Edit:
ok, so the pictures weren't working when I posted this, but now they are, and I'm thinking the light I bought is the same as yours. It runs off some kind of lithium battery (18650 or something, I still can't remember common lithium battery sizes) and has a focusable beam, according to the place I ordered from.

Last edited:

tommylight

Newly Enlightened
Folks sorry for the delay, i have 4, count 4 tripods and my camera ready to do some beamshots but it is to cold outside, i don't like cold. It looks the same at DX but mine are 3XAAA 3 mode, i use 1 of them on daily basis and it never fails, i have none of the problems described at DX reviews, and it has a nice WOW effect on people when they see it lighting a building over 200 meters away.
On the other hand, yesterday i ordered 3 hosts to be made from 25mm SS rod, for 16340, 18500, and 18650, will see how they end up on saturday, i just hope they don't mess up my design, there wont be much rod left ( it was 110 cm long with 18 bore so it was perfect).
Regards.
P.S.
I got them in Kosova, 15 euros (23$) a piece.

Last edited: