4sevens LightBar replacement for a reading light

RobStar

Newly Enlightened
hey guys,

I saw the 4sevens LightBar a while back and really liked it. Dimmable and 180 lumens sounded like it could be a great reading light for the bed.

By the time I got around to buying it the item was discontinued :( What other lights are there in this same category - does anyone make something like this?

I'm looking for a great dimmable (or not) LED reading lamp ... would the bar be too bright ? the alternative is something more spot.

what do you guys use?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds to me like it would be way too bright, especially if you're trying to not disturb someone sleeping next to you. I've recently been using a Photon Rex on probably less than half power aimed at the book. I just lay it on top of the pillow pointed over my shoulder. Almost any low power light seems to be more than bright enough.

Geoff

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do not need a lot of light why not try the Paklight, or the Safelight:

Pak-Lite home page:
http://9voltlight.com/

Safelight example store:
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=92

I have had both, several copies of the Pak-Lite for that matter. I still have a single Safelight. The Safelight case is noticeably larger than a bare 9V battery + a cap light, but the beam is more contrained by the case, and there are two levels of light.

If you have something magnetic around the bed such as a swing-arm lamp which itself is otherwise far too bright, then the Safelight has a magnet clip on the case to "stick" it to something. The Pak-Lite itself needs only a magnet between the 9V battery case and the steel/magnetic surface. The Pak-Lite is obviously far smaller, being little more than a 9V battery and a LED cap.

I use the Safelight under roughly the same circumstances you describe. it is quite functional in the reading mode whether on the high or low power mode.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention - I use 9V rechargeable batteries for my "reading" light.
The Safelight could be used as a reading light using a nearly depleted 9v - it is a great battery vampire. I use the batteries that come out of smoke detectors and they last a long time. You won't need full brightness for reading in bed.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, whatever you do, avoid the LED tabletop and clip lamp at Target. I tested a few and the output from the LED arrays was poor as well as very blue in tint :sick2:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear they aren't available anymore.

I bought a couple and am happy with them.