Question for Jet III M owners

travelinman

Enlightened
I'm considering purchasing a Jet III M but the ability to adjust the light level on the strobe function is critical for me. (I don't want to be blinding any drivers now, do I).

I've searched the archives including the excellent reviews and the question about being able to adjust the light levels for the strobe is still unanswered, so if someone who has one handy could answer me you would help me make a buying decision.

Here's what I've found so far.

"To access the SOS/strobe modes, flash the switch during the brightness ramp. This will advance you to "Special Functions" mode, which contains a number of SOS/strobe modes. Note the manual fails to describe these - unfortunately, the same text from the previous "Brightness Setting" section of the manual is repeated in this section by mistake. :tsk: Unlike a lot of other lights, JetBeam actually gives you a good number of different stobe frequencies and output levels to choose from."

Also from CPF. "
After entering the Brightness Setting mode of the Hidden Menu, lightly press the tail cap button once, and the light enters the Special Functions mode - which goes from 1HZ to 15HZ strobe, warning signal, standby signal, 100% SOS and 5% SOS. Again, if you want to select any of these functions, just turn off the light, wait 2 secs, and it will be set for the next time you turn on.".

(This says to me you can adjust the SOS mode for either 100% or 5% but what about the strobe level?)

Thanks SelfBuilt for the excellent reviews I have quoted from above. Maybe it's my damaged Chi but I need someone to say " you can adjust the light levels of the special functions strobe mode, or you can't".

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have one, and as far as I know you can't change the brightness of the strobe - just the speed. You could use a cone or diffuser to dim it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks SelfBuilt for the excellent reviews I have quoted from above. Maybe it's my damaged Chi but I need someone to say " you can adjust the light levels of the special functions strobe mode, or you can't".
AFAIK, you can't set the output of the IBS strobe mode, only it's frequency. :sigh:

I agree it would be a very useful feature to include, since you don't always want a max strobe. But only a limited number of lights offer such a feature (Liteflux is the only one leaping to mind, but there may be others). I wish ITP offered it as well, since their UI is very nice for setting output level (i.e. simply loosen the head to start a ramp, tighten to select). Unfortunately, their lights also revert to max output when entering strobe.

P.S.: Please feel free to post these sorts of questions in the review thread - that's what it's there for. :)

travelinman

Enlightened
Tnx for the replies, both of you. No more info needed on this topic.

Tnx for the advice Selfbuilt...I was reluctant to do that because the threads can be pretty old, but will from now on.

travelinman

Enlightened
Re: Question for Jet III M owners "New Info"

Now I'm really confused ! :confused::confused::confused:

I got a reply from Jetbeam USA, please see below!

"The Jet-III M works just like the IBS series except one mode is always high and then by twisting head you can access your secondary mode, which can be programmed. You can set the secondary mode to be anything between 2 - 225 lumen including strobes, SOS, beacons, etc"

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The JetBeam strobe is a 1-15hz ramp at maximum output.

There is also a "double-blink" ~2hz maximum output strobe/locator, and an every-five-seconds minimum output locator.

XD9

Enlightened
Re: Question for Jet III M owners "New Info"

Now I'm really confused ! :confused::confused::confused:

I got a reply from Jetbeam USA, please see below!

"The Jet-III M works just like the IBS series except one mode is always high and then by twisting head you can access your secondary mode, which can be programmed. You can set the secondary mode to be anything between 2 - 225 lumen including strobes, SOS, beacons, etc"

:confused::confused::confused:

Dont be confuse. What they are trying to say is that you can set your lumen's under the first programmable option. Than follow by a another click (off - on) you will go in to the secondary menu and there you can set you strobe, sos, etc... As it has been said before the strobe has a set lumen only the speed of the strobe changes under that menu.