Wish we had a "Hide Thread" button.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
I can't be the only one who gets tired of the repetitive threads that pop up asking "which light do I get?" or the obvious troll threads dissing a popular brand. I know a lot of people like those threads; they usually get a lot of responses. But, to me, they are just clutter. And every time someone responds to the thread, it moves right back to the top.
I wish we had a "Hide" button so I could make those threads disappear and not have to see them over and over.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
hmm actually not a bad idea..

some kind of "hide" button that makes the thread to go to end of the second page. still could be found easily if searched but wont bump up to top of page 1 if you dont want to see it ..no matter how many answers it gets.

maybe a shush go away button to the annoying peoples posts too? hahah just kidding.

but hide thread button would be cool.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I remember using bulletin boards before (way before) Internet access became so common and easy. Some of them had a "twit filter" that would let me hide all posting by "selected" users. I don't know if the software under CPF* has this feature, but it could be handy on a few occasions. Very few occasions on CPF*, but there are other groups where I'm just an inch from telling Gmail I don't ever want to see a message from one or two individuals. :shakehead

Dan FO

Enlightened
Go to your control panel, under settings and options you will see "edit ignore list". Click on that and anyone you put on that list :poof: You will no longer see their posts or threads they start. :whistle:

VB has all kinds of features. Different forums enable different features.

There is this one feature called coven... that is really funny but I won't bring that one up. :whistle:

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Go to your control panel, under settings and options you will see "edit ignore list". Click on that and anyone you put on that list :poof: You will no longer see their posts or threads they start.
Thanks, Dan. Looks like I should have investigated the software a little more. I haven't really wanted this feature yet on CPF*, but it's bound to come up eventually.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only problem with that is that even though people only post
"what light?" or "what is the cheapest light with 34000 lumen under 20$" in the beginning,
they might be posting interesting stuff in between and/or after a while.....:eek:

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Only problem with that is that even though people only post "what light?" or "what is the cheapest light with 34000 lumen under 20$" in the beginning, they might be posting interesting stuff in between and/or after a while.....:eek:
Agreed. This is why no one is on my CPF Ignore List yet. I try to save such lists for those who consistently raise my blood pressure and never say anything constructive or positive.

I am generally impressed with the helpful, knowledgeable people on CPF. This is one of the most amazing on-line communities I have known. Thanks for being part of the solution. Actually, many of the "what light" threads get some useful discussion. Most of them at least become training rooms for new members to learn how to get the most out of CPF.

JeffN

Enlightened
Go to your control panel, under settings and options you will see "edit ignore list". Click on that and anyone you put on that list :poof: You will no longer see their posts or threads they start.

Unfortunately, not true. You won't be able to read their posts, but you'll still see their threads (and be able to read the posts of non-ignored users in those threads).

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this idea too. You've got my vote.

So long as it works properly and doesn't block any content that I do actually want to see.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Admin/mods have you got any input on the subject...?

Is this something you could see or is it "not anyway near" CPF policies or what you guys have in mind...?

Empath

Flashaholic
@Admin/mods have you got any input on the subject...?

I don't have time to read every thread. Therefore, I have to be discriminating in the selection of threads I read. Some threads, I can tell by the title, don't interest me. I don't have any trouble simply not opening them. Even with the discrimination involved, I don't think it has ever been determined by which member was posting.

I understand the concept of twit filters, and on some unruly boards and perhaps certain newsgroups of Usenet, they could be used to decrease the background noise from trolls and flamers. On boards such as ours, much of the concept in the moderating is the elimination of excessive trolling, flaming and disrespect in general. If eliminating a member's input is still important enough to stick them in a twit filter, then apparently our skin is a bit thicker. Otherwise, they'd be gone.

For many years, CPF's members never had a twit filter, nor indicated a need for it. Seeing such a social change is a bit disheartening. I suppose, if the social aspect of a group becomes disagreeable enough to merit filtering out fellow members, such a dissatisfaction with the social climate may merit investigating a more enjoyable climate.

Filtering threads for other reasons just doesn't have an important "feel" to me. I guess the ease with which I simply don't open some make it appear to me that others could likely not open them as easily.

That's just all personal opinion though. It doesn't mean anything more than personal opinion.

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just all personal opinion though. It doesn't mean anything more than personal opinion.

Thanks..!

That`s all I wanted..
I agree with some off the above but have a different point off view..
For me it is allso a feature that could give a "cleaner" look IMO..

There are different subforums I allmost necer visit and it could be nice to be able to both closa/open them when needed...

Not primarly/eclusivly to exclude the above mentioned threads...

This is just my opinion...:cool:

Dan FO

Enlightened
Unfortunately, not true. You won't be able to read their posts, but you'll still see their threads (and be able to read the posts of non-ignored users in those threads).

You are correct, what I meant was you won't see the first post of the thread meaning the person you want to avoid.:oops:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct, what I meant was you won't see the first post of the thread meaning the person you want to avoid.:oops:

But you can read whoever quotes them, unfortunately. (Not that there's really anything reasonable to do about that.)

I also would support an "Ignore Thread" button. I think it would be more of use to regular members than to moderators or administrators.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember using bulletin boards before (way before) Internet access became so common and easy. Some of them had a "twit filter" that would let me hide all posting by "selected" users. I don't know if the software under CPF* has this feature, but it could be handy on a few occasions. Very few occasions on CPF*, but there are other groups where I'm just an inch from telling Gmail I don't ever want to see a message from one or two individuals. :shakehead

The twit could also see what everybody else wrote and write replies if he wanted. It's main use was to allow the sysop to collect money from the guy until he caught on.
If you didn't charge you usually just kicked the guy off.

The problem with a hide button is that anybody will be able to use it for any reason.
9,999 people think my post is the best post ever written and number 10,000 does not like it.... By-by post.

Simple solution put more work on the moderators, thy will love to read all the hidden posts and decide if they should be hidden.

The guy that pop's in and asks "What should I buy?" today may put out a $3.00 part tomorrow that the world has been waiting for.

Greta

Flashaholic
Just for the record... you all are free to discuss this topic civily, of course, but nothing is going to be done on my part (the owner of CPF) that will impliment any of the suggestions any of you are making. I'm 100% with Empath on this one and would even go so far as to make a suggestion of my own for you guys....

Tolerance... and understanding. Get some. Or simply choose not to open the thread. It's a lovely world that we actually have choices... isn't it? ;)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to ask yourself, is there a person on this board who you'd really want to completely censor from yourself? There are some on this board who I disagree with on some issues, but that doesn't mean that those people don't have things to say that could be beneficial or pertinent to the thread. I'd hate to miss out on those things. Everyone has something to contribute, I think. Putting someone on an ignore list seems an awful lot like only reading cerain chapters in a book. I can always choose to not read something, but if it's not there on my screen, that choice has already been made.

Maybe I don't fully understand the ignore feature?