Why Does Fenix TK20 Cost More than LD10?

Hi Folks,

Can anybody shed some light on why the Fenix TK series costs more than the LD series?

I was considering getting a TK20. It looks to have less output mode settings than the LD10 but yet it costs more. The TK20 also looks so plain. I mean it just looks like some Rayovac flashlight I'd buy at Walmart.

So I thought, Hmmm, let me look at the TK10. The TK10 is one ugly flashlight (in my personal opinion) and also only has 2 modes.

I'm leaning towards the LD10 as a "better" flashlight but just wondering why it's so much cheaper than the TK series? Am I missing some important spec that I'm not aware of?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm leaning towards the LD10 as a "better" flashlight but just wondering why it's so much cheaper than the TK series? Am I missing some important spec that I'm not aware of?

Check the weight of the flashlight, the TK series is a much more solid construction and made for simple handling. The number of output modes does not set the price, your can find cheaper lights with many more modes.

With the TK20 and TK10 you can, with the light off, press the switch half way to get a momentary flash of light, this will not change mode or anything. For some applications this is very useful.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, right now the TK20 is on sale, cheaper than the LD10 ($51.98 vs $54.23 shipped).

But also, the LD10 and TK20 are NOTHING alike. Completely different lights.

1anrm

Enlightened
What??? LD10 costs 58.95 vs. TK20 56.50 at 47s. I suggest your read up on some of the amazing reviews of these lights. Then you'll have a better understanding of what they can and cannot do.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi Folks,

Can anybody shed some light on why the Fenix TK series costs more than the LD series?

I was considering getting a TK20. It looks to have less output mode settings than the LD10 but yet it costs more. The TK20 also looks so plain. I mean it just looks like some Rayovac flashlight I'd buy at Walmart.

So I thought, Hmmm, let me look at the TK10. The TK10 is one ugly flashlight (in my personal opinion) and also only has 2 modes.

More features does not necessarily mean better, depending on your usage needs and patterns. The TK10 is designed as a "tactical" flashlight so it is built tougher and should be more robust than the LD10. The lack of modes then becomes a benefit because it is less "fiddly" under high stress operations. The TK10 is also a good bit brighter than the LD10 because it uses 2x123 as opposed to 1xAA. I like my TK10 very much for several reasons but it is too large to be a good EDC light for me. I like to carry it in my backpack when I might want a little more brightness than my normal EDC.

What??? LD10 costs 58.95 vs. TK20 56.50 at 47s. I suggest your read up on some of the amazing reviews of these lights. Then you'll have a better understanding of what they can and cannot do.

Sorry, was going by Ebay Prices. If you can let me know where to get the TK20 at the lowest prices, would appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought many of the Fenix lineup. In order of purchase

L1D
E01
P2D q5
TK20
2AA body to make an L2D with the P2D's head
TK11 R2 edition

In terms of all-out brightness, the TK11 is just killer for the size.

BUT, the light I like best out of my set is the TK20. I think it has the best feel and quality to it (despite the slipping grip, which is the only downside, but really it's not that big a deal!)

The size of it is actually kind of nice. I can get a good grip to turn the head or tailcap, the threads are the nicest of any Fenix I've got. The whole light just has a very appealing feel to it, and the warm golden glow of the beam is very pleasant.

With the price coming down I may buy another for gifting or backup :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The TK series is also called the "Tank" series. They are meant to be simple, tough, and easy to use.

The TK20 also has a neutral LED which has a warmer tint and helps with color rendering(the browns, reds, shorter wavelengths).

As said before, output and number of modes doesn't set the price of the light. If those are the only two things you care about then go for a budget light. The higher end lights are usually tougher, much less over rated("18w" LED, 400 lumen from a Cree XR-E? I don't think so), have actual reserch and development, use better materials, have warrentys, and so on.

BTW, avoid threads that compare two different light companies.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to 4sevens and buy yourself a TK20, I am positive that will be the best light for your use....per your requirements in your other thread. The most important thing about the TK20 that the other Fenix's don't have is the warm emitter. It will really help having the better tint when you are out hiking :thumbsup:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
It´s more expensive because it´s a "Tank" Fenix.

You gotta hold one to feel... I just love mine!

No useless modes, just high and low, very focused, and heavy, solid! Looks like you´re holding a piece of solid metal!

I love my TK20 !! Can´t go wrong on that! :thumbsup: