LODCE - Why am I using 10440's?

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Hi, love my LODCE for couple years now and always used 10440s. I only use high for few seconds to Wow people and 99% of time use medium. Yesterday decided to just run it on high to do a runtime (all by eye)...supposed to get like 10 minutes to 50%. On fresh charged battery on High the output started super bright then drastically reduced in about 30 seconds to about medium output and slowly dimmed lower than medium for 10 minutes. I tried couple other batteries. Batteries are over a year old, but the other 2 I never used but couple times before. Shouldn't I get the super bright High for 5 minutes at least before starting to seriously dim.

Then looking at the runtimes I wonder why do I use 10440's since I mostly use medium. Isn't high on nimh same as med on 10440 but with longer runtime? So is only reason to use 10440's for that super bright high you can have for few seconds?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, love my LODCE for couple years now and always used 10440s. I only use high for few seconds to Wow people and 99% of time use medium. Yesterday decided to just run it on high to do a runtime (all by eye)...supposed to get like 10 minutes to 50%. On fresh charged battery on High the output started super bright then drastically reduced in about 30 seconds to about medium output and slowly dimmed lower than medium for 10 minutes. I tried couple other batteries. Batteries are over a year old, but the other 2 I never used but couple times before. Shouldn't I get the super bright High for 5 minutes at least before starting to seriously dim.

Then looking at the runtimes I wonder why do I use 10440's since I mostly use medium. Isn't high on nimh same as med on 10440 but with longer runtime? So is only reason to use 10440's for that super bright high you can have for few seconds?

That sounds about right. I have used 10440's in the past to impress my friends but I usally use Eneloops for the better runtime.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the LED is overheating?

I dont think so, it sounds like the batteries might just be old and need replacement. Also, the LODCE devours a 10440 on high, it really is just for showing off, but I guess theoretically that it might be handy in an emergency.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
From what I've read, charging the battery is when things are most likely to go wrong, so I charge it in a Nano at a protected area on the side of the house, and use it on high not longer than about a minute at a time in an LF2X. But for me it is worth using the AW 10440 for that beautiful beam.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using one for a few months now and it seems totally fine.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
but the fact that they are not protected just means you can discharge them until they are no longer useable right? I mean, the charger, the nano that is, still has all the built in safety protections.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I take mine out of the Nano soon after the light turns green, and they are always charged to about 4.15v. And you can set the LF2X to shut off at low voltage reading to protect the 10440. If these batteries were blowing up, wouldn't we be the first to hear about it on CPF?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
we have heard about it. just not with 10440's. but if a 18650 can blow up, so can a 10440. same chemistry. high drain can do harm, so can low voltage usage.

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I would use them in a light without a protection circuit. That's one of the main reasons I got a LiteFlux instead of the Fenix. The other is the programmable levels.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yipe! I must have been living on borrowed time. I have used 10440s in my LOD CE for a couple years. However for the past 6 months I've gone back to rechargable AAA cells. I think I get longer runtine and better practical overall use. That HIGH on 10440 is nice to have. If I did not want any "kabooms':oops: with a 10440, I definitely would not enjoy a 18650 :poof:

Flenser

Newly Enlightened
we have heard about it. just not with 10440's. but if a 18650 can blow up, so can a 10440. same chemistry. high drain can do harm, so can low voltage usage.

The Lummii Wee uses a 10180, which I would think would be similar to the 10440.

Has anyone had any trouble with the Wee or 10180? I ask because one's on the way to my house right now! :faint:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lummii Wee uses a 10180, which I would think would be similar to the 10440.

Has anyone had any trouble with the Wee or 10180? I ask because one's on the way to my house right now! :faint:
The Wee is not a consumer product, it's a gizmo made for enthusiasts/experienced flashaholics, so the end use must know and take all the risks in using unstable batteries. The LOD is designed for common batteries, therefore it is just like a regular flashlight for the end user.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't have this light but i've read posts of 4/7's that explicitly call the use of this battery into question and is strongly discouraged.
Cause he wants to cover his arse legally.

Isn't that because it can overload the LOD circuit?
Didn't on any of mine and I've had all the L0 versions.

Moreso because 10440 cells are inherently dangerous.
No they aren't. Silly statement. A black widow spider perhaps but a 10440 battery, No. I've had five of them laying around the study and in and out of torches for the past few years. Not one of them has exploded, leaked acid or bit my hand off.

I take mine out of the Nano soon after the light turns green
Often leave mine on all night and take the cell out in the morning. I sleep fine.

if a 18650 can blow up, so can a 10440.
A tin of flour can blow up under the correct conditions but so what.

You know loads of the Americans here talk about how they won't use an unprotected cell because "it's dangerous" and you see the same people on other threads talking about how it's not dangerous to have a handgun in the house cause it's on the high shelf out of the kids reach, etc...

If you need further convincing, go short your car battery with a small spanner and see what happens. I don't see anyone here saying that they won't drive their car anymore because the battery is dangerous !