My New Weapons Light System

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Now that I like! Oh yeah, I can afford it also. Let me know when you get the non-LEO only models for Mossberg. Thanks for the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a streamlight stinger. assumming it is, it's not shock isolated and will be heavy. pass.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Let's see how they hold up in training and use before writing off this solution.

It certainly will be a waste of time and money if another solution needs to replace it.

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting concept. Things I would change:

1. Change the switch opening, so it's angled on either side of the mount, thus offering either a thumb or forefinger actuation point. Seems it would be awkward to turn the light on with the switch on the bottom.

2. To save weight, use a Polystinger.

3. I don't think there will be a shock issue with this. The battery stick used in Stingers is solidly built. The bulb has a very small filament and the bezel has an o-ring to structurally hold the bulb.

4. How about a Stinger XT, with a tape switch coming out the rear, thus the switch can be much more versatile.

--dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Let's see how they hold up in training and use before writing off this solution.

It certainly will be a waste of time and money if another solution needs to replace it.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like a gimmick and no substitute for a dedicated forend system. by the time you buy this and a stinger you're within dollars of the sf forend. which alrady has proper switching, lighter weight, shock isolation, compactness and just plain looks better.

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
I'm with tkl on this one. SF dedicated forend all the way... it is a proven design, ergonomic and the few extra bucks don't bother me because when I need it, I may very well be fighting for my life.

stangster

Newly Enlightened
From CountyComm's Website:

[ QUOTE ]
"...built for police use, so it has to be easy..."

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

My little brother's gonna /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif you.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:

4. How about a Stinger XT, with a tape switch coming out the rear, thus the switch can be much more versatile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea for a weaponlight - although I think dano's idea is an appropriate accessory for that setup...

I can only assume that the bottom-access button to accomodate the Stinger light is for the ability to transition from left to right (support hand) while clearing corners off the weak hand side. But as Dan pointed out, a tape switch would be much more appropriate in the left/right, right/left transition - at least it would be quicker to acquire the light switch during hastened switch-overs. I've seen others and experienced firsthand the type of light activation confusion with many 6P mounted weaponlights without a tape switch (exposed rear push button only). You'd be suprised what a close-quarters scenario will do to your responses during a high stress engagement.

I've never quite understood a Department's philosphy to cut costs on an item for which an operator's life will ultimately depend on. And with that in mind, SureFire does provide for substantial leeway in the form of a city government purchase discount, particularly for law enforcement.

Perhaps I'm just simply biased towards the SF line of dedicated shotgun weaponlights - I almost exclusively train with the 618FA. It's a proven performer for me. Bottom line is, if those weaponlights work well for the San Jose Police Department in terms of its use/application, then great. Cost savings aside, hopefully it's not a forsaken compromise.

-Jim

Boy what a lot of discussion. Where to start? The forend holds either metal or Polystinger. Getting an major agency to buy a new product for all of their patrol rifles took a lot of testing. Stingers hold up extremely well, the bulb is very robust and is isolated from the impact driven battery during recoil. I have a Stinger that has 1100 rounds fired with it on the shotgun. The switch placement was set up to allow placing the Stinger switch in only one orientation. Switch Down. (This can be done in the dark with one hand solely by feel.) This requires the support hand to be placed directly under the forearm. This is the position the local police academy teaches to smaller statured persons to prevent them from short cycling the pump and experiencing "click, no bang". Mossberg 500? Soon I hope, I want one for my truck gun.
I like that the weapon can have the light removed to make it very light and then the light can be securely mounted in two seconds with one hand. Some agencies are having pilfering problems with expensive weapons light batterys being taken for use in personal tactical lights. This ends that problem too. Law Enforcement only? The inventor (active full time law enforcement) feels that this affordable weapon system could end up in the wrong hands (Don't shoot me, I think this is hog wash too). I have convinced the inventor of the hog wash factor and they will be available to the public for "self defense and home protection". I will be updating the web soon. Those of you in the business will be interested to know that Armor Holdings has a few units for evaluation. I hope I covered everything. Frank

Tombeis

Enlightened
Thanks Frank.

One other thing. How is the Stinger retained in the holder?

Oops. Never mind, I see it now. Spring wire clip retains the Stinger in the holder.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I honestly have to state that if there is a "pilfering" problem with batteries it is solved by making the officers purchase their own. We've had some similiar situations here, and we usually issue/give/supply a calculated amount, and sell extras at a reduced price.

Paying for consumables out of pocket, even if they are relatively cheap, seems to induce a slight amount of responsibility.

Back on topic, I believe that a cross-utilization of the flashlight is wrong. The Stinger is a larger light for hand-held use, and the SF weaponlights are small, light, and importantly to me, always attached to the weapon.

They get the freshest batteries, and those are rotated out to handheld lights. The cost of the mount plus the light is too close to a real SF forend for me.

However, I'm glad to see innovation and competition.

My local police and sheriff's office both have terrible pilfering problems. At least they are replacing the good batterys with weak ones. I personally have had a two problems with SF forends. I had a bad tape switch on a MP5 that took months and many calls to get it back. (However,my experiance with SF handheld light customer service has been excellent) I also had a shotgun tape switch go bad from UV/dirt/oils. This is why I was so pleased to have another option. I am still excited. I am hoping my AR bracket will show up for the weekend.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the stinger is the standard issue, then having it mounted on a weapon as well makes sense to me. further more, duty lights are usually kept on the charger so the battery is usually always near full capacity. no need to worry about whether the lithium cells in the weaponlight have 60 mins or 20 minutes left in them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Having to buy your own batteries will hopefully also improve the use of light - that is don't waste it or use it dangerously. There is thread over at Lightfighter about training to use light in a tactical situation. One thing that comes up is the need for a hand-held in addition to the WeaponLight - not just as backup. If one was using a Stinger as backup (for parts interchangeability) then the numbers of Stingers on charge would have to increase because you can't charge the Stinger on the gun.

I've found that people say they have something like a 6P/Z as backup, a Classic 2 cell SureFire WeaponLight and a duty rechargeable - in many cases it will be a Stinger of some kind.

In a way, the same concerns over just having an M-3 and moving it between guns applies here - a dedicated light can not really be both hand-held or weapon-mounted. And if it is weapon-mounted then each weapon that needs a light needs it's own light attached to the weapon ready to be used.

I'm sure the realities of battery charging and having fresh batteries in all lights whilst preparing for an operation are not as clear and easy as the ideal situation calls for.

Putting all your eggs into one light may mean you get food poisoning...

Al

Grog

Enlightened
It looks like the green 870 has a 14". The barrel that ends at the magazine cap is usually about 12.5". Just a observation.

My Stinger is on the left side of the barrel and very east to reach. With a XT it would be perfect. The beam gives a good aiming point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif