• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired My first

Z-Max

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I have finished assemblage of the my dive light. It is my first serious flashlight for diving. Before only small mod of dealextreme's flashlight.

Light's body is made of aluminium (duralumin D16T).
And after cold anodizing it has been painted and burnt in the furnace.
83064548.jpg

83064543.jpg

83064547.jpg

83064549.jpg

83064571.jpg

83064580.jpg

83064569.jpg

Lens from flashlightlens.com. The total thickness makes 4 mm (2 lens).
LED: Cree MC-E
Led Driver: Hipflex from TaskLED.
flashlight's driving with momentrary switch.
Battery:4 18650 x 2, 14.8 V 5 Ah (74 Wh) for 6-6.5 hours of working with max power. baterry have 2 PCB with protect from overcharge, discharge, short ciruit. Charger: 16/8 V, 2 A (full charge near 3 hours)
The length makes 210 mm. Diameter the greatest of 69 mm, diameter of the handle - 51 mm.

The flashlight is tested in a homemade pressure camera on depth of 20 metres. Soon the flashlight will be tested on 150 metres (after upgrade of camera).

I did this flashlight for myself. But I am going to do regularly. I am guided by the price about 400 US dollars (without shipping).
What do think about?

And my first tests of light:
83070256.jpg

83070262.jpg

From a distance of 20 metres:
83069662.jpg

In comparison with an automobile headlight (one) (OSRAM Bilux H4 ) 60 W:
83070144.jpg

And some different pics:
83070290.jpg

83070301.jpg

83080670.jpg

Fullsized pictures available here

Last edited by a moderator:

donn_

Flashaholic
Very nice job, but this is a Buy/Sell/Trade forum. If you're selling it you need to list a price, and if you're offering it for trade, you need to tell us what you want to trade for.

Edit: I see...this is a feeler, with a price of $400?

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
Reference: http://taskled.com/hipflex.html

Z-max:

Interesting first post. Very nice work!

What do you have the driver set at (max output mA) and how many output levels are you running? Operating a divelight with gloves on is not fun. I'd suggest keeping the operation as simple as practical - say, two or three modes (low/medium/high).

Looks slippery. I'd suggest providing a pistol grip or handle. You might also consider a lanyard.

How's the weight? Personally, I prefer neutral or negative buoyancy, I don't like my flashlights floating up when I release them.

What is the tint bin of the emitter? In my opinion, underwater is where incandescents really "shine". They are so much better at color rendition than any LED dive light that I've seen. Although, arguably, LED's penetrate the water better.

Great runtime.

Price point. I'd be more optimistic in better economic times, but then again, there always seems room for a better mousetrap. :)

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
nice creation
not (yet) into diving but here are some points:
- consider 4mm single lens instead 2x2mm. The single lens would have the strength of several magnitude compared with 2lens combined, except when you put some kind of clear epoxy between 2 of them to bond them together
- the switch looks like toggle switch to me, instead of momentary switch in the description ???
- maybe a picture of the internals in 'explode' position or at least the battery holder. its not so clear how many 18650 batteries you are using, 4? 8? 5?
quote: "Battery:4 18650 x 2, 14.8 V 5 Ah (74 Wh) for 6-6.5 hours of working with max power"

other than that, good job! :goodjob:

Z-Max

Newly Enlightened
Excuse if has incorrectly chosen a forum.
This message can be considered as the preselling offer.

For simplicity of management I have chosen the big switch. Levels of light can be 2 or 5 or 8 (preprogrammed driver)

I have two apertures with a carving (M3) for fastening. Later I want to do neopren cover for this light as option.

Wieght: 835 g on air, 365 g in water.

Battery have 8 18650 and 2 big PCB.

Switch is realy mmomentary :) without fix position.

In next post I will give comparison in water with Technisub Vega 2.