Where to get a aluminum (Surefire) flashlight engraved.

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
My google-fu is weak and I am humbled.

My new C2-HA has an empty flat side and I was thinking of getting my name, USCG and my member number engraved on it.

Also I am getting married in a few months and would like to give out a non traditional groomsman gift. Probably a 6P for everyone with name and date on the bezel. So I had a few questions

Where can one get laser engraving done as a one off with good turn around time?

Does it matter if it is Type III vs Type II anodization?

Is it different or tougher to get engraving done on a curved surface like a bezel vs a flat like a C2?

I know it can be done since all the major flashlight makers do it, but I obviously don't want to buy a 10000 pieces just to get what I want.

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
I have seen they will engrave if you buy from them,

I dont see if they will engrave if you send to them?

I have fired foff an email to them, but any one with firsthand experience?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check your local phone directory for a place that sells trophies and awards. They usually do engraving (both laser and mechanical).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had very good results at a reasonable price for laser engraving on several lights without sending them out of town. If you want laser engraving search for trophys, stencils, rubber stamps, plaques, etc.

Engraving tube bodies is no problem.

Be advised that engravers ARE human, however. Make it as simple for them as you can. I ALWAYS:
  • Shoot pictures of the light.
  • Pick the best one and PhotoShop (or GIMP) your envisioned engraving on it.
  • DO use a font that is in the same style that you would like.
  • DO make the printing (or design) the size you want, relative to the size of the light.
  • DO orient the printing (or design) the way you want it to look when it's finished.
  • Make a 8.5 x 11 job order sheet with CONTACT INFO (including the above PhotoShopped picture) and give it to the counter person when you order the job.
  • Print 2 smaller labels with all of your CONTACT INFO on them. Put one into the battery compartment and tape the other to the outside of the box that you bring the light in.
  • I put a printed CAUTION on the job order sheet advising them that if the bezel must be removed to chuck up the light that they should take care to not damage the exposed LED.
'Setup' charges will result in most of the cost as the actual engraving is on a 'per letter' basis.

Whether you go for laser engraving or find someone you trust for something more exotic the above steps will help minimumize errors and the dreaded possibility of loss.

The last time I brought a light in for engraving the guy who handled the order for me was so blown away by the light that he got all of the particulars and had Elektro Lumens build one just like it for him.

Last edited: