Is this bad? (Battery getting "gouged")

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
Ok, my wife's Ultrafire C308 *finally* came in and I put the 18650 battery in. I notice that with the way the spring in the front of the tube and the back of the tube sort of compress the battery down to fit in, the rear tailcap spring is doing a like spiral gouging in the end of the 18650. I was just curious if this was bad or not?

I did look at the 18650 in my Fenix TK11 and noticed swirl marks, but not like it was gouging or anything. (And when I say gouging, it is slight, but there).

TIA!

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
I would just use some pliers to bend the pointy part of the spring down because it may eventually gouge all the way through....that what i did with the spring on my Ultrafire.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
they bend the end of the spring down, which isnt easy, to stop the gouging.
way to much spring pressure can cause problems breaking or shorting protections, especially on lesser designed cells, if you felt that there was WAY to much pressure, you could trim the spring a bit then bend the end down.
if its just the gouging only, then bend that last bit of spring so its nicer.

to slow , like ^ he said.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the end of the spring is a sharp edge,
just take a file or sanding paper and make the very edge round
(I do this with any spring inside lights)

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
While I am on the topic of this Ultrafire, anyone have any suggestions on a more durable option for a wrist strap than the one that came with it? Wife wants one prefereably that you can tighen it on the wrist (kind of like the W9ii remote strap) and I want something more durable than the tiny string that connects through the very tiny hole. I am just afraid that one day, it is going to go flying when the strap fails.

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
well, great! I took the tailcap off and bent the sharp piece down, now the light wont come on sometimes unless I tap it, like the tailcap switch not working right.

Any suggestions?

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
thats what I am wondering... its like the contact aint as good as it was. Like i say, if i tap it or loosen it a bit, it comes on, but not dependably. I need this thing to be dependable for wife at night walking dog.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
could be coated, take off the coating with a emery board. AKA small sandpaper on convienient stick

the wrist straps have a name they say when they cost to much and are very special :) lanyard
could be a search using that term would find all sorts of things.

like macramé glow in the dark parachute cord etc :)

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tailcap spring coated, you mean?

yes it isnt likly but they have springs with gold annodising and stuff, overspray, heck i donno, you want metal to metal, without oxidation, one way to get that is to rip it down till its there :)

but if the back switch was using the battery spring, (bad form) then your stuck Pulling the spring back out till the pressure goes back up again.
hey its a china light right :) this is the fun part. next is trying to fix the grinding threads, the dry o-rings, and finding out the led wasnt heat sincked to anything.
geesh you get them good lights and get all comfortable and lazy :cool:

Last edited:

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
I pulled the spring out a little more (stretched so to say) and tightened down the switch washer(?) That seemed to do it. I had also sanded the tailcap spring first, but didnt seem to do it. It sounded and felt as if the switch was "loose" or something.

As for the "lanyard", I would LOVE to put paracord on it, but the hole in the tailcap is tiny, for a regular ol' wrist strap that came with it, unless I rig up something like wrapping paracord around the end of the body or something.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
those wrist straps that have the little TINY connecting end on them, that fit in the little tiny holes on the ends of some lights?
mine keep breaking there :-( they needed steel leader or something. i dont really use a laynard (not wearing one), but it does help to find/grab light in my pocket.
some of it is the sharp edge on the small hole, cutting the thing over time. just one more thing i can have FUN with .

get some steel leader, and one of them crush clamps that hold CABLES , then interleave it into paracord, and crush it down, slide some heat shrink tubing over the crush, and you got one that will last.

Last edited:

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
those wrist straps that have the little TINY connecting end on them, that fit in the little tiny holes on the ends of some lights?
mine keep breaking there :-( they needed steel leader or something. i dont really use a laynard (not wearing one), but it does help to find/grab light in my pocket.
some of it is the sharp edge on the small hole, cutting the thing over time. just one more thing i can have FUN with .

get some steel leader, and one of them crush clamps that hold CABLES , then interleave it into paracord, and crush it down, slide some heat shrink tubing over the crush, and you got one that will last.

hehe, you lost me at "steel leader"... I was going to buy a teeny, tiny steel "ring" (I think that's what you are talking about) and then I can attach paracord and a perhaps a tightener of some sort? I have the strap from my TK11 that is thicker, could use that with the little ring? She just mentioned that she wished she could tighten it down on her wrist a bit, so she wouldn't drop it.

emr

Newly Enlightened
I use cord locks sold at REI, retailer of outdoor gear. Two High Impact cord closures in package, B-LOK-4 Cordlock for 1/10"-1/8" cords, 1 USD.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe, you lost me at "steel leader"... I was going to buy a teeny, tiny steel "ring" (I think that's what you are talking about) and then I can attach paracord and a perhaps a tightener of some sort? I have the strap from my TK11 that is thicker, could use that with the little ring? She just mentioned that she wished she could tighten it down on her wrist a bit, so she wouldn't drop it.

the split rings like the keychain split rings only smaller , they had those at walmarts craft section in the jewlery, little 3/8th inch ones.
not the single closed round wire, but real overlapping split rings, that have to be weaved into the hole.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://products.kinter.com/viewitem...s?&forward=1&gclid=CJb2_e6Vm5kCFRFMagod8EaBCQ

look those are Cable crimps , they can potentially be used to hold various things together, like paracord and steel fishing leader (for ketching sharks and marlins and such)
you shove stuff in them, wrap it up so it holds better, then smash it with a hammer or crimp it with some pliers or a vice or something. then put a heat shrink tubeing over it, to hide the nasty metal.

http://www.tackledirect.com/tygerpackage.html
this is steel leader .

with the right combo of stuff, a wirst strap could last forever. mabey it ketches in machinery and drags you to your death, but at least it will hold up for your lifetime.

Last edited:

tominator425

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the details! I will take that info and construct me a handy dandy wrist strap! Off to Walmart! :)