Why no 4 AA Crees?

fishx65

Enlightened
Love my Seoul modded 4 AA Propolys but would jump all over a Cree XRE running 4AA's. The 4AA side by side configuration seems like a good mix of power and size. How come we are not seeing anything like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why know 4 AA Crees?

I'm guessing that there's isn't a big demand for them :shrug:

The LED are getting increasingly efficient. You no longer need so many AAs to run them. Also, 4 AAs make it a little bulky and heavy to EDC, no?

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't confirm this and probably will get hung for making this reference but isn't Led Lenser P14 4 AA?

I've asked Coast sometime back about the LED's used in P7 and they've confirmed CREE. My guess is that P14 uses CREE also but they are quite secretive when it comes to LED specs.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

i have wondered the same thing.

double the runtime or increased voltage to run the led, sounds smart to me.

as it would still be very natural shape to hold and keep in pocket if it was 2 side by side and 2 long..

about 35mm*21mm*150mm

very convinient shape (i edc´d UK4aa for years)

many handtool handles are near that size and shape actually, knives, files even hammers.

if you are ready to carry current 2aa light like d20 you could very easily carry 4aa for double the runtime in 2 series and 2 paraller setup. and only little more weight.

or imagine fenix ld10 with about 5 times more runtime, if ran at 1.5v.

heres hoping fenix will make one!

also i would like to have a 2aa side by side light. much easier to put into pocket than these 2aa long tubes the manufacturers copy from each others.. tracing back all to grandaddy, the minimag.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast

led lenser p14 is infact 4aa.

but to me personally its big fat tall chubby for a light :)

150mm is fenix 2aa,
LL p14: 205mm
(where does that extra 55mm come from? cant be the zoom function alone?)

and led lenser p14 weighs in at about 380 grams (guess its with batteries)

while ld20 is at (56-60g) 115g with batteries..

so even with 2 extra batteries the LL sounds overweight.. by atleast 100grams.

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened

Can't confirm this and probably will get hung for making this reference but isn't Led Lenser P14 4 AA?

I've asked Coast sometime back about the LED's used in P7 and they've confirmed CREE. My guess is that P14 uses CREE also but they are quite secretive when it comes to LED specs.

Hanged. :D

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened

Also, AA batteries are going the way of the cassette tape. Technology has evolved. I know people don't like change and I know many people still have video recorders and cassette tapes, but we have to move on or we become extinct.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast

i too think AA is still going strong.

1st "normal" batteries
i think that are out are C
and after that maybe 9 volts.
and then Ds (but this is long way ahead)

even aaa´s are closer to disappear before aa.. lot lower runtime for not that much smaller size.

it might be in flashlights and cameras etc that need serious cranking power aa´s might become extinct someday as li ion just gives so much more power out.. but in general use AA is going to stay for loooong time.

and i dont mind the 4aa light to be able to run with 4*14500s -ShweeeeeT!!

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened

Methinks some in this thread spend too much time on CPF and not in the real world. CR123 are NOT replacing AA, not at almost $10 a pop in stores. The average person does not buy batts online and won't pay that much in stores. CPF is a small sampling.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

CPF is a small sampling.

Very small. I don't know anyone personally outside CPF who use them in flashlights. In UK shops/stores the different types of AA totally dominate the battery racks, and it's hit & miss if they even stock CR's.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened

Also, AA batteries are going the way of the cassette tape. Technology has evolved. I know people don't like change and I know many people still have video recorders and cassette tapes, but we have to move on or we become extinct.

How many 3 years old (sometimes even less) and perfectly working portable PC's, mobile phones, cameras end up in the recycle bin just because their high tech. but NON standard LiIon batteries are dead and too costly to replace ?

Even in the same brand, they manage to design different battery pack (using the same 18650 elements size). This is called built in obsolescence.

As long as the industry will not come with a standard LiIon (or other) cell, regular AA, C, D ... will prevail.

Change dor the sake of change is ridiculous.

These standard sized cells have evolved over the years due to different technolgy and the only annoying thing with LiIon is the nominal voltage that is very different than the 1.2-1.6 V range equipment are designed for.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Why? CRs seem to be on the run within the real world as people don't even buy them for cameras anymore. So If I had to place a bet CR are more likely to disappear from the normal retail market.

Last edited:

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened

Also, AA batteries are going the way of the cassette tape.
uhhh...

for an EDC i want a standard battery that i can find anywhere. as someone said, people arent even using CR123s in cameras anymore. my current camera uses a proprietary LI ion battery pack, but my next one will likely use 2xAA batteries so that i can use eneloops.

as for high performance lights, id rather use 1x18650 than 2xCR123

1 cell ftw. ill take a fenix tk11 until surefire makes an 18650 light

anyway the point is that high end/proprietary battery != the next standard

fishx65

Enlightened
I agree with most, AA batteries are not going anywhere. Matter of fact I think the CR123 would go bye-bye before the AA. I try to run all my lights with rechargeable AA's and AAA's. I even run my D and C cell lights with AA's. I think Streamlight would have a real winner if they updated the Propoly 4AA to an XRE Cree with a mild OP reflector.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Amp 5.0 out of curiosity, and I have nothing positive to say about it. If you have to have a 4AA light now, stick with the ProPoly Lux - it's still a great light. I'm always on the lookout for the eventual ProPoly replacement, but both lights I've purchased to potentially fit that role have been disappointments.