Suitable globe for 3s1p 2000mah Li-po

nyarlathotep

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

RC helis are my other hobby and I have a few 'retired' 30C 3s1p 1800-2150mah li-po cells. The batteries are no longer useful in the heli having about 80 cycles on them but might still be good for use in a torch (flashlight).

I'm on a budget so LEDs are out, so xenon or krypton globes? Ideally they would fit into a standard cheap torch that used to hold 2C cells for example, the li-po dimensions are 11x3x2.5 cm.

There are two applications
A. MAXIMUM lumens with at least a one hour runtime.
B. Around the house in the dark casual use (maximim runtime)?

What sort of voltage and amp characteristics should I be looking for? :thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price are you looking at? There are P60 drop-ins around $10 that can take up to 18v.

Also what lights do the batteries fit in?

:welcome:

nyarlathotep

Newly Enlightened
What price are you looking at? There are P60 drop-ins around $10 that can take up to 18v.

Also what lights do the batteries fit in?

:welcome:

I really don't want to go overboard on the price, all up maybe $30 US.

Regarding the p60, these. I assume these fit into the B category of long run time? They are definitely worth a look, thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Something like this could work. But you have to make sure there is enough heatsinking and also that the reflector is protected. It has a lot more output then you need for normal use(around 40 lumen is all you need, the drop-in has around 150).

With 1800 mAh, I'm guessing 3 something hours with the linked drop-in.

Not sure how you would make it work though.

What light do you plan on using the batteries in? or are you building your own? The drop-ins usually fit P60 accepting lights, which aren't normal for the general crowd.

For max output I'm sure you can drive 3 Cree MC-Es or Seoul P7s in series, but that would be over $60 for the LEDs alone but you have the potential for 2000-3000 lumen at the LED.

nyarlathotep

Newly Enlightened
The shell will depend upon the globe that is decided upon. I don't mind a bit of customization. Perhaps a cheap metal body krypton torch that could immediately be upgraded with the Cree R2 Drop-In?

2000-3000 lumens is very bright.. May have to try that one day. My batteries are 1800mAh, so that means 1.8 amps for an hour. The P7 would pull a bit more than that?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what light would fit the P60 type modules well that isn't made for it. I'm sure with some work any light that is large enough can work with the P60 type module.

The P7 is rated up to 2.8 amps. But are't those batteries capable of much more amps? This would be for output.

How much runtime and output do you want for around the house?

How do you plan on attaching the batteries?

nyarlathotep

Newly Enlightened
I'd be attaching the batteries by soldering the wires directly to the driver, or directly to the terminals in the case of incandescent. Most likely a voltage protector in parallel so the batteries aren't damaged.

So the shells for a P60 usually take 123 type batteries, so I guess my li-po's would not fit.

Yes the li-pos can do 36 amp continuous, but the runtime would be 5 minutes. At 2.8 amps this would be 30 minutes?

Around the house stuff, 3 hours would be good, or less, I have about 4 or these batteries to use.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
100+ lumen is much more then you need for around the house though. Maybe you can solder a connector to it, like on the RC stuff, so you can easily swap batteries(is that what you were thinking of?).

As for the light, I'm not sure. The main thing would be heatsinking for the drop-in if you choose that path.

nyarlathotep

Newly Enlightened
After looking around a bit I can't find something with a large enough inside diameter to fit my battery. The batter compartment would need to be at least a diameter 42mm and at least a length of 110 mm.

If anyone has something in mind that can put one of the drop-ins mentioned above in, I'd be very grateful :).

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking around a bit I can't find something with a large enough inside diameter to fit my battery. The batter compartment would need to be at least a diameter 42mm and at least a length of 110 mm.

If anyone has something in mind that can put one of the drop-ins mentioned above in, I'd be very grateful :).

Well, I assume you're not interested in a 6V floating lantern body, but it's the only cheap option that comes to mind; there's some custom "Elephant" Mag bodies that size, but they're upwards of $100 new.

I considered some Li-poly cells for a build of mine, but hit the same problem -- you can just about fit one cell in a D-cell diameter cavity, but not the two or three side-by-side that you really want.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're in Oz...

Will the cells fit in an 6v Eveready Dolphin? If you can find a similar/suitable host that uses PR bulbs, you'll have some easy lamp options.