What's wrong with this beam? Do i need a new reflector?

STi

Newly Enlightened
It's a Dereelight C2H with R2 and SMO reflector..The reflector does have some tiny flaw at the edge like a ding or peel? What is this ugly line and will the rough texured reflector or a new smooth reflector get rid of it?

My fenix LD01 and other lights do not have this.

Last edited by a moderator:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
@STi There you go :D

temp.jpg

I have seen worst
What kind of reflector are you using ?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A heavier orange peel finish on the reflector will fix that. The trade off would be a less concentrated hot spot (IE focused throw).

edit... just looked at your other pic, looks like a very smooth reflector. Smoother reflectors create a more defined hot spot, but generally introduce m=beam artifacts like that. Also...FWIW I don;t think your beam on that light is all that bad. I have seen FAR worse.

STi

Newly Enlightened
I thought these lights came with both reflectors but it didn't...Do i take it apart and try centering it?

STi

Newly Enlightened
Well i took it apart and theres not much i can do to center it..The reflector has a slight peel in top corner ..I cleaned the glass and put it together and it's still there but not as strong....I guess it's going on Ebay for $50

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems alright to me. The LED is very slightly off center, but at least you don't have an oval shaped hot spot that is full of artifacts (IE: Mini Mag AA). If you don't want this light to throw as far, you could go with a reflector that has a degree of "orange peel" texture to it. This would (depending upon how heavy the "orange peel" is) significantly decrease the throw of this light, but would make it much floodier. If the blue tint is because of the paint color of the wall, or because of your cameras settings, then it might be ok for you, if you don't mind it. Other than that, it has a tight hotspot because it has a smooth reflector, meant to illuminate objects far away. I've seen a lot worse.

STi

Newly Enlightened
It seems alright to me. The LED is very slightly off center, but at least you don't have an oval shaped hot spot that is full of artifacts (IE: Mini Mag AA). If you don't want this light to throw as far, you could go with a reflector that has a degree of "orange peel" texture to it. This would (depending upon how heavy the "orange peel" is) significantly decrease the throw of this light, but would make it much floodier. If the blue tint is because of the paint color of the wall, or because of your cameras settings, then it might be ok for you, if you don't mind it. Other than that, it has a tight hotspot because it has a smooth reflector, meant to illuminate objects far away. I've seen a lot worse.

The color is fine..It is white...The wall is blue and the camerera caused it to look like that...The color is by far better than my Q5 Fenix! but this line is fubar!

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color is fine..It is white...The wall is blue and the camerera caused it to look like that...The color is by far better than my Q5 Fenix! but this line is fubar!

You said the reflector is peeled at one side -- maybe that line is a wild reflection from the edge of the peeled area.

But does it matter, for anything other than white blue wall hunting? I'd be quite happy with that artifact in the spill, since your hotspot is nice and crisp, and it seems mild enough to not be noticeable in real use...

STi

Newly Enlightened
The emitter itself has a couple of tiny scratches could this be it?

STi

Newly Enlightened
White wall hunters.... :barf:

Get outside and actually USE the light. You'll never see any artifacts in real life.

Granted but should a brand new light come with scratched emitter and peeling reflector along with 2 tiny little touchup marks near the clicky?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Post a picture of the light itself. Maybe that would help.

Also contact Dereelight and see if you get a refund or replacement if you want to get rid of it.