NiteCore light quality??

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm very interested in the Nite Core lights in one AA, if you have one I'd really appreciate the pro's & con's!! Thanks!!

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
i believe the only con is price. and the fact that due to the digital switch they have a slight current drain all the time (but slight enough that it would take over a year to drain a single AA)

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I have several D10's, a couple EX10's, a NDI, a D20, and an Extreme. All are nice quality lights, I love the fact they use 14500 cells (D10 and NDI) with no problems (or RCR123 3.7 volt cells in the EX10 and extreme). I would say they are on par with the Fenix lights for quality for the most part, though the switches on the Fenix lights do seem more robust than those found on the NDI or the Extreme if that makes any difference to you. On the Smart PD lights this is not an issue of course. I also love the variable brightness option on Nitecores, sometimes the Fenix pre-set levels are not exactly the levels you want, but the Nitecores can ramp up and down to any amount of light you want. Very nice lights indeed.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I have a NiteCore D10, EX10 and NDI and they are all really well-made, the knurling is fairly pronounced but very even and there are no hints of any blemishes. I also agree with comments that I really like the fact my D10 and NDI both accept either NiMH AA's and 3.7v 14500's and the EX10 also accepts primaries and works fine with 3.7v RCR123's. :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind that some people may not like the ramping-up / -down to get to a desired light level or the price may be a bit of turn-off. If price is not an issue, you can pick up the NDI and be able to set a user-defined light level.

All of the NC lights exude quality and I have no hesitancy in recommending them as long as they fit your needs.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 is my most used light. I'd also compare the quality to Fenix, but a problem with Fenix for me is they're too slippy (TK series excepted). The D10 is very grippy, and having had mine a while now I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very pleased when i got my D10 last year........well made and it does'nt make that annoying clicking sound when you turn it on, which to me is a great thing. I say get one of the Nitecore lights, you will be happy.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a D10 that I holster with me everyday to work.

When set in momentary-mode (loosened bezel), getting the light to quickly switch from high back to low is a little too tricky for my liking. That's my only dislike about the light.

I don't use it in momentary mode :D, so the light functions nice and easy for me.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NDI and Extreme are solid choices; you won't be disappointed in the quality of these lights. I've bought/sold alot of EDC candidates, and these two have remained with me. Love the UI. Eagletac is another with similar UI, if they interest you.

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
I have a D20-Q5, a D10-GD+ and a D10-Q5 from Nitecore and from the Fenix side, i have the original L1T, an L2T, E0 and an E01.

Subjectively, my nitecores feel more solid than my fenixes, mostly due to the nitecores having (what i feel) are slightly thicker walls overall. You can't really go wrong with Either Nitecore or Fenix however, pick whichever UI you like better i would say.

As an aside, i also have the Eagletac P10A and i'd say Nitecore > Eagletac > Fenix. But its close enough that it doesn't really matter.

Taboot

Enlightened
I had issues with my EX10. Sticky switching, turned itself on unexpectedly, didn't take commands repeatably, etc. Mine was a very early one, so they're probably better now. Mine died a horrible death in a clothes dryer a couple months after I got it. I never got another because all of the weirdities with the interface and piston design. I like the concept though.

wingnutLP

Enlightened
I have a D10 and while the build quality is great I have to say I really don't like the UI.

I gave it to my girlfriend :(

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a believer in Nitecore quality and performance. consider the following "EDC evolution"
16 years ago (showing my age here:sssh: yipe!)
I wore a 6D mag on my belt,

Fast forward 10 years and the EDC was a Surefire C-3 with the high powered bulb. I also carried a HDS XR 42 GT or a Piercelight M10 :mecry:(no longer made) for up close applications.

Now my main belt carried EDC is my SS cren bezel Nitecore Extreme!:twothumbs

It's set on low with a twist to HIGH!!!!!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the D10, the Extreme and the NDI, great lights. All have the Cree dark circle, the Extreme was in my pocket when traveling until recently, now I've got a Ra Clicky. They all have switch issues in my experience, the Extreme and NDI have had pushbutton failures, the D10 comes on inadvertantly so I don't carry it in my pocket.

Last edited:

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if alot of these switch issues from the D10/D20 are due to CPFers being early adopters? I know my early batch D10-Q5 has a stiffer switching action with much much less travel of the piston than my D10-GD+. The switching action on the GD+ feels almost like a normal clicky in terms of force needed and there is some amount of travel as opposed to almost none on my Q5.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think it has more to do with people being used to clicky switches, and being completely thrown off with the PD system.

It's an acquired taste. Some people love it, some hate it and feel it's inherent function feels "flakey" compared to their preconception of how they think it should function.

656nm

Newly Enlightened
I have both an NDI and a D10, and I would pick the NDI any day over the D10 for the reason of UI. I really don't like the D10 UI. The D20 works a bit better for me, but for AA my all around favorite is still the LF5XT.

My 2 year old son was given the D10, since it is fairly indestructible. My 4 year old daughter didn't want it as she prefers Fenix over Nitecore, though :p