Salt water fish tanks?

hamheart

Enlightened
does anybody know of a good tank that is between 45-60 gallons, i would prefer it if it was a cube but that is not necessary. thanks :D

seaside

Enlightened
It is kind of nice for me to see other fish person in flashlight community. But before I say anything, I want you to tell me few things about your setup. That will help me choose better recommendation. Is it fish only or coral tank? Is it's gonna be a coral tank, is it soft or hard corals? Thinking about having some clams or not? What's your lighting setup and how much watts? Which skimmer you have for it? And do you have any specific reason why you want 45~60?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It is kind of nice for me to see other fish person in flashlight community.

I'm also a fish person but I've always had fresh water tanks. My current one is 80 gallons and stocked with about 10 different species of friendly fish.

hamheart

Enlightened
Well I am just getting in to saltwater fish and have had a fresh water tank before so I am looking for a whole setup, tank included. Also I was planning to have a reef one anenemone a clam some shrimp some fish all docile and a few sea snails. Thanks :D

Flashlight Enthusiast
That will probably run you upwards of a Spy007.

I don't really think personally any of the package deals are any good, unless it is done by a 3rd party who has experience, while companies that make the products have experience mixing and matching is a better bet.

Go onto a fish forum and join, salt water tanks are a big investment and responsibility.

hamheart

Enlightened
Well I understand that it will be exspensive but I have been saving up for one for a while, also it does not need to be an all in one it would be fine if some could recomend various parts to make a good tank. Thanks :D

seaside

Enlightened
Well I am just getting in to saltwater fish and have had a fresh water tank before so I am looking for a whole setup, tank included. Also I was planning to have a reef one anenemone a clam some shrimp some fish all docile and a few sea snails. Thanks :D

K, then I am assuming you're experienced with fresh water, trying to explore new world of salt water for the first time.

I did had several freshwater tanks and couple saltwater tanks for more than 10 years. Not any more. I had to get rid of them all except one freshwater tank because of personal reason.

Anyway, I can't cover all the saltwater basics and I am not sure what you mean by "whole setup" because it all depends on what you're thinking.

But here's what I can tell you.

- First, have lot of respect and patience. You're gonna need it.

- Decide what you gonna do. If you go only for fish and couple hermit crabs, it's easy. You can treat them like a freshwater tank. Tank size doesn't really matter. 30~40G all-in-one type tank would work well. Just use argonite sand instead of gravel. This is the easiest option.

- But if you want anything more than fish and couple hermit crabs, that's quite different story. Corals, anemones, and some invertables like clams need very bright light, near flawless water quality, lots of water flow and intensive care. You need to be serious and you will need whole lot of research and equipment before start this, and they ain't cheap. Give yourself at least a month to research/study and then, we're going to talk about it later.