"Mr. Mosquito" net not to apply

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just last night, my Netgear WGR614 wireless router started making an annoying high pitched squeal. At first I though it was the power supply in my computer going out but after shutting the computer off and unplugging the cord with the noise still continuing, I traced it to my wireless router which also sits on top of the computer tower.

dslsetup.jpg

I tried unplugging the router an the noise ceased so I left it unplugged overnight and plugged it back in earlier this morning. It worked silently for about twenty minutes then started squealing again. The router still works and passes the network signal to my computers and print server but it's annoying to be in the same room. This thing could literally be used as a Mosquito anti teen loitering device. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito )

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I had the exact same router which did the exact same thing. I just set it in a place/angle where the sound was barely noticeable from the computer chair (but was still audible from anywhere else in the room). I never did resolve how to fix it, because it gets pretty hot with use, so putting it in an enclosure would probably not be a good idea.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
This sounds like it is an instabilty in the power supply feedback loop. I bet if you could put an O scope on the supply voltage to the logic circuitry it would show a ripple at a high audio frequency. It's a design shortcomming. You'd have two choices: acoustically shield the dang thing or send it back for replacement. Most likely a replacement unit will be the same....

cheetokhan

Enlightened
This sounds like it is an instabilty in the power supply feedback loop. I bet if you could put an O scope on the supply voltage to the logic circuitry it would show a ripple at a high audio frequency. It's a design shortcomming. You'd have two choices: acoustically shield the dang thing or send it back for replacement. Most likely a replacement unit will be the same....

I have had to replace a lot of crappy quality electrolytic power supply filter caps in equipment like this. Just fixed a D-Link network camera with failed capacitors. It's not a very good camera, but at least it works again.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I went out today and bought a WRN2000 so "Mr. Mosquito" will shortly be retired once I get it set up.

Latest posts