Great new additions to the Malkoff family...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go, once again displaying my great photography skills (if the pics come out too big, I can resize them)

Left to right:

Malkoff M30 with 3xAA FiveMega body
Malkoff M60 with Leef body designed to run on 5V-12V (2x18650 or 4x123)
Malkoff M60 on 2x18500 Leef body or 3x123

Notes:
The best tint is on the "original" M60 (it won't accomodate 12V BTW). It's the most practical size for EDC, just a hair longer than Mini-M*g.

The 2x18650 should offer the best runtime of at least 3 hours and even more on 4x123 primaries. It's most comfortable to hold, the grip is excellent. I kind of like the even number of cells, a box of 12 cells should offer 3 spare sets. Plus I like 18650s more than other sizes, I think they are most common and most likely to get developed. I am looking forward to 2800 mAh protected cells. These are "only" 2200 mAh AW cells.

M30 is a hair brighter than both on Lithium primaries and noticeably dimmer than both on NiMH cells. (maybe 200 lumens vs. 235) One huge advantage of the AA lite is that it dims gradually. The AW cells cut out instantly. Unless of course you use 123 primaries.

I have come to realize I like Li-Ion better than NiMH but its flexibility is neat. M30 will run literally on any AA cells, including Alks, NiMH, even the dreaded "heavy duty" junk cells. The quality of the 3xAA FM body is excellent, although I wish it had a separate tailcap.

Still trying to decide if I should get a custom made M30 to work on up to 6V so I can get a 1x18650 body and run either Li-Ion in it or 2x123 primaries. The original M30 runs up to 5.5V.

The important thing to realize is that if Li-Ions are not available, you can always run primaries, and if these become unavailable, you can always run some kind of AA cell. I ran M30 on 3xAA "heavy duty" carbon-zinc cells and got 3 hours out of them, although it was less bright as an old 1W from circa 2003.

In sum, in that configuration above, I don't really need any other "AA" lite, although multi-mode would be nice.

In final note, you notice that the 3xAA and the 2x18650 are in mint condition, the lite that actually does get used on a daily basis is the Surefire 9P clone (2x18500 Leef), partially due to its compact size or maybe due to its superior tint. It's not a "W" version but halfway there.

M60_12V1.jpg

M60_12V2.jpg

M60_12V3.jpg

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened
No Malkoff flood monsters in your stable? Either way, you sure do know how to make a guy jealous!

You have 3 great lights. May I ask as to the run time for the M30 with the Fivemega 3XAA?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the Leef body may take 2X18650 or 4 CR123's the original Malkoff M60s are only rated to run on up to 9V unless something changed. I know the MC-E's are good up to 13V but not the regular M60's, so four CR123's would be a killer.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, thanks for making that double clear...

The M60-type module above is a one of a kind, that can handle 12V.

The one you buy on malkoff site or the marketplace will run for less than 1 second on 4x123 cells, so don't do it.... 3 cells max.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
One big advantage of 2xAA NiMH over 2xRC123A's is that they tend to work better in series, working down their current evenly.

The RC123A's are too prone to uneven use of current, so the cell with the fastest draw will have the protection circuit kick in and stop all light even while there is still current left in the other cell. In effect you maintain the lumen output as per spec (and while the output is on) but lose runtime in this situation.

The advantage of the 1x18650 vs. the 2xRC123A's is that in addition to higher capacity it is a SINGLE cell and so does not have the series problem.

Using 3xAA NiMH's in series should work as well as using 2xAA, NiMH and with the higher current you can drive the Malkoff M30 at higher lumen output as well, comparable to the M60 driven by 2x123A's.

The disadvantage of the AA's (at least for some) is a loss of regulation after a time, but probably you get it for long enough not to be a problem (and the dimming output works as a kind of low battery indicator).

I agree that these are great new options to have! Let's not forget that you can recharge 8 AA's simultaneously with the larger Maha rechargers, whereas only 2 RC123A's (or 2x18650's) in a standard Li-Ion recharger. So you have more AA's around recharged at any given time as well.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. I don't use any RCR123, just Li-Ion and NiMH and lately the former a lot more often than the latter.

With Li-Ion I get more or less constant 230 lumens then it suddenly cuts off.

With AA based cells, it gradually dims.

The best you can get is 123 primaries or L91 primaries. You get serious lumens for a long time and then a very long tail of lite.

The 3xAA is amazing, I couldn't kill a set of alkalines in it. They got pretty dim all right but I lost patience and replaced them. It was nearly identical to Surefire 9P with M60 and 3x123 primaries, you get a very long tail, down to cigarette light type lumens.

That's right. We have a Surefire-type lite, if not in clone, then in spirit that has Malkoff in it and runs on common junk AA cells. If that's not amazing, I don't know what is.

I wanted to get a 2xAA lite but after this one, changed my mind.

If you want to be really cool, try sticking a M30L or M30LL in it, if such a thing can be built by request. Less lumens but more even runtime and longer too.

Out of these 3 lites, it's hard to say what I like more.

Li-Ion is mega cool but don't throw away the primaries just yet.

Latest posts