E2 Series Drop in?

Doru

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an easy (read Malkoff drop in easy) drop in upgrade for my Surefire E2e. It's an everyday carry item, and I'd like to stay away from a larger head if possible.

I found this: http://tacticalnightvision.com/illumination.htm , but have no idea how they stack up.

I have several M60's for several lights and love them. Any idea how that upgrade will compare (size/output difference aside)?

Finally, I'm open to other suggestions if they are out there.

Thanks.

Drew

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: drew
Nothing like that for the e2 from companies.

Search for threads started by koala (one of our resident modders). He was working on an LED drop-in for the e2e (using a Rebel emitter, IIRC - tiny thing).

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search CPF for the OpticsHQ TX2 E2 conversion head. Same product as the TNVC head. Lots of CPF reviews and photos of the TX2.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
TNVC lumens readings

TNVC Single mode__________166__turn on ____________2X17500 LI___________SureFire Bezel Solarforce Host.
TNVC Single mode__________177__turn on ____________2X17500 LI___________Solarforce Host with A/R coated glass.
TNVC Single mode__________169__warm_ ____________2X17500 LI___________Solarforce Host with A/R coated glass.

Based on my personal experience with TNVC Q5 and the over rated lumens I would go with a

TnC E to C adaptor and put a 6P head with a M60 or M60W MC-E.
The E to C adaptors are only $27 dollars and in stock at TnC products.

Last edited:

Doru

Newly Enlightened
bigchelis,

Thanks for the recommendation. Seems pretty simple...and I am simple when it comes to this area.

Questions, but first:

Why would you go to the M60 compared to an E2 size drop in/replacement? Are they just not that powerful? Or do you get a lot more with the upgrade?

It's hard to find a solid answer. I've searched all sorts of posts, but either get lots of part numbers and such, or recommendations that someone else comes in and trashes....

So, I buy the TnC E to C adaptor....could you help with a link for that? I went to the website and just got overloaded with options.

Then, where can I get a 6P size head?

I have the Malkoff part covered.

Thanks,

Drew

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF has lots of reviews and beamshots of the TVNC/OpticsHQ 6P drop-in and the E2 conversion head. There are also plenty of reviews and beamshots of the Malkoff products.

To find the TNC E2C adapter, go to the TNC Products web site, click on the "TnC, Aleph & E Series compatible" link in the "Categories" box on the left side of the page, and select the E2C finish of your choice.

A Malkoff M60's advertised lumens is higher than the figures cited for the TVNC. Presumably, however, these TVNC figures are for their 6P drop-in, not their TX2 E2 conversion head.

Regardless, I doubt that the lumens differences have much real-world relevance. More meaningful are any differences in beam pattern, which might tip the scale for one product or the other.

I have the OpticsHQ version of the TVNC 6P drop-in and the beam pattern is quite nice. Bright hot spot, nice spill, negligible Cree rings. Works great with their multi-function tailcap, but that is strictly a 6P-family tailcap, not an E-series compatible product. I also have a Malkoff M30 and I don't see any compelling beam pattern features that would make me definitively pick one drop-in over the other.

The E2C approach will give you a bezel the size of a regular SureFire 6P -- large in comparison to an E-series light. The TVNC E2 conversion head is only a littler larger than a KL4 head.

You can buy bare 6P bezels from any number of sources on the web. Use Google. The CPF Marketplace also has frequent ads for bezels for sale.

Personally, I prefer the E2 conversion head over the E2C/6P bezel approach. I favor the more compact size of the E2 conversion head. IMO, if I want to have a 6P bezel, I may as well also have a 6P tube.

The E2C/6P bezel approach has its merits, though. It offers the flexibility to use whatever 6P-compatible drop-in comes along, as LED technology advances. With the E2 conversion head, there isn't much of an upgrade path short of mod'ing the head.

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
After spending hundreds of dollars toying with this idea I will share a few thoughts with you.

There is no/none/nada/nyet E2 series "drop in" currently available.
The unique construction and small size of the head has stymied the aftermarket in my opinion.

You have basically three options without going the custom route.

1. Lumens Factory "drop in" replacement lamps giving you everything from 50 lumens up to 350(!) lumens.

2. Buy a complete replacement LED head to retrofit your current torch. Examples

3. Buy one of these E to C adapters to allow you to use all commonly available P60 modules.

...HERE is but one of many threads on the subject.

Now, after doing all of these options, I've come to the conclusion that I personally prefer option #1 by a significant margin. Surefire really designed some ergonomic and aesthetic perfection into the Executive series. Anything you do to enlarge the head TOTALLY kills it. Though I've come over to the LED camp, the warmth, output and color rendition of a xenon lamps is still very enjoyable and perfectly suited to this light IMO. If I want something bigger I grab a 6P, 9P, M6, etc. If you really want a LED "E" sized torch, consider buying the E1 Backup instead of wasting your money on the conversion heads.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no/none/nada/nyet E2 series "drop in" currently available.

You know you can still get used "drop in" in BST sometimes? :D
15o75z9.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigchelis,

Thanks for the recommendation. Seems pretty simple...and I am simple when it comes to this area.

Questions, but first:

Why would you go to the M60 compared to an E2 size drop in/replacement? Are they just not that powerful? Or do you get a lot more with the upgrade?

It's hard to find a solid answer. I've searched all sorts of posts, but either get lots of part numbers and such, or recommendations that someone else comes in and trashes....

So, I buy the TnC E to C adaptor....could you help with a link for that? I went to the website and just got overloaded with options.

Then, where can I get a 6P size head?

I have the Malkoff part covered.

Thanks,

Drew

I like things easy. Just plug and play. Here is the link with all 3 colors of the E to C adaptor.
http://tncproducts.com/hp_zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12
Now there are countless P60 drop-ins to choose from. Yes the bezel will be bigger, but with the added flexibility it is hard to resist.
I purchase this bezel from a Texas company. Lighthound.com sells the 6P solarforce bezel for $12.
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...--No-Teeth--Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_2631.html
You also need an AR coated lens which is also available at lighthound.
http://www.lighthound.com/UCL-for-SureFire-G2_p_2254.html

Read this to learn about the benefits of the UCL AR coated lens. The combo I recomended should give you more lumens out the front than even the real Surefire 6P bezel and for less money.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211402

Here is my old set-up. It is an E1e with TnC E to C adaptor fitted with M30/ Malkoff P7 P60. Of course you would get the color matched up and the 6P bezel will look more balanced with a E2e.
PC190175.jpg

harddrive

Enlightened
Another option is to look at a new Eagletac P100C2 that is similar in size to your E2E, that is as bright as most other LED lights/drop ins, has two levels, can be run on CR123 or R123 or 17670 batteries is getting great reviews and costs Less than $40 delivered:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=225590
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=225480

I love my surefire lights as much as the next guy but there comes a time when you have to weigh up the cost of upgrading the E2E compared to buying a light that uses more modern technology. Something to consider anyway.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old review of the original OpticsHQ/TNVC E2 conversion head here.

Comparison of a KL4 head vs OpticsHQ head on an E1 body:
SureFireE1LbodiesKL4headvsOpticsHQE.jpg

Another photo, showing the size difference between a KL4, OpticsHQ head, and E2C/6P bezel:
SureFiresinglecelllightsandL4withE2.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have basically three options without going the custom route.

1. Lumens Factory "drop in" replacement lamps giving you everything from 50 lumens up to 350(!) lumens.

2. Buy a complete replacement LED head to retrofit your current torch. Examples

3. Buy one of these E to C adapters to allow you to use all commonly available P60 modules.

...HERE is but one of many threads on the subject.

Now, after doing all of these options, I've come to the conclusion that I personally prefer option #1 by a significant margin. Surefire really designed some ergonomic and aesthetic perfection into the Executive series. Anything you do to enlarge the head TOTALLY kills it. Though I've come over to the LED camp, the warmth, output and color rendition of a xenon lamps is still very enjoyable and perfectly suited to this light IMO. If I want something bigger I grab a 6P, 9P, M6, etc. If you really want a LED "E" sized torch, consider buying the E1 Backup instead of wasting your money on the conversion heads.

I have a LF EO-2R lamp and it is nice.

For my purposes, I don't see that replacing the existing E-series head with something slightly larger, e.g., a KL4 head or OpticsHQ TX2 head, "totally kills" the E-series concept. After all, SF itself has increased the size of the head from the original, when SF "upgraded" the E-series to anti-roll bezels.

Re: the E1B. Before buying, IMO it is wise to understand the pros and cons of that light's 2-stage user interface. Again, for my purposes, the E1B's UI is unsuitable. YMMV.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
All of this is very subjective.
Some people don't mind a mis-matched hodgepodged affair while others do.

I got rid of all my "upgraded" anti-roll bezel SF Executives.
The original E2e's with the clips attached to the head are nearly perfect for EDC in my opinion.
Changing the clip attachment point/method along with the ever increasing size of the heads, forever put me off the entire Executive series line.
I am a minimalist at heart. Less is more.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd - had I the money - get a Roomsweeper and a McE2S tailcap switch for a nice bright (but not overwhelming) low beam. If you can solder surface-mount components, you can pick whatever resistor you feel appropriate.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the E-series, I also own only the original E2, not the upgraded and larger E2e. Compact size is great, but only up to a point. When the light is smaller than the width of your hand, then IMO the light is too small since the meat of your hand starts to block the bezel. If it is too skinny (or too fat) to fit your hand properly, then it also can be the wrong size.

Last edited:

xlanc3

Newly Enlightened
I have a LF EO-2R lamp and it is nice.

For my purposes, I don't see that replacing the existing E-series head with something slightly larger, e.g., a KL4 head or OpticsHQ TX2 head, "totally kills" the E-series concept. After all, SF itself has increased the size of the head from the original, when SF "upgraded" the E-series to anti-roll bezels.

Re: the E1B. Before buying, IMO it is wise to understand the pros and cons of that light's 2-stage user interface. Again, for my purposes, the E1B's UI is unsuitable. YMMV.

does it have to be rechargeable batteries?