Handgun Weapon Light - Need info

HEDP

Enlightened
Looking to get a pistol light for LE duty.

Not sure if anyone on this forum knows anything about it, however, a lot of talk about Surefires on here, so I figured it'd try.

My two choices are the Surefire X300 and the Insight Procyon.

http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight

- 110 lumens

SurefireX300.jpg

http://www.insightlights.com/products-procyon.htm

- 125 lumens

InsightProcyon.jpg

Some say that the Surefire throws better then the Procyon, even though it has less lumens because of it's lens/bezel.

Tell me what you think. I've got some advice from other folks, but you guys on here seem to know quite a lot also. Thanks in advance.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have used the Surefire X200B for years and the X300. These are the only lights I will mount on my handguns! They are tough, they are proven, and they work great!

I have not been all that impressed with Insight lights. It seems the switches continue to malfunction and break...continously!

Do your homework and make an educated decision. Good luck!

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Procyon is very new but Insight always makes a great products. I've used their M3 and M6X for years with no problems. I've never broken a switch even though they're on a couple of my most fired guns.

The Streamlight TRL series are also nice and probably the most performance for the dollar. Slightly larger than the other two brands.

The Surefire is my favorite just because of the smaller size, the feel of the controls and the beam is impressive for the stated lumens. It's the highest price of the bunch but I sure love them, especially on handguns.

In short, you can go wrong with any of them. All of the "big three" manufacturers build a great light.

seattlite

Enlightened
The head on the X300 is the same as the E2DL and KX2C which have been tested in an IS. The results were around 170-200L. I have both the X300 and the Streamlight TLR-2 ... the X300 is much brighter.

If you want flood, try to get an older X200B with the LuxV LED.

Kato

Enlightened
I would suggest an X300 with a DG pressure switch.

At my department's range, I've seen shooters with weaponlights on their handguns use one of two techniques to activate their weaponlight. They either use their trigger fingers to press the toggle switch on the back of their lights (a tragedy waiting to happen), or they use a thumb or a finger from their support hand to to activate the light (better, but not optimum).

That's why I successfully campaigned to have all of our issued Glocks be equipped with X300 weaponlights with DG-11 pressure switches.

A DG pressure switch allows the shooter to turn the light on and off without sacrificing either trigger operation or the use of the support hand.

Try doing these exercises:
  1. Emerge from behind cover, illuminate and identify your target, double tap, black out, and move to a different position (because your light is a bullet magnet).
  2. Illuminate and cover a hallway (or even a suspect) with your weaponlight while using your support hand to control a child or civilian. If a threat emerges, can you shoot, black out, and move without losing control of the one you're supposed to protect, and also without turning yourself into a walking lighthouse?
While doable with any handgun and any light (handheld or weaponlight), I think you'll find both exercises easier with a handgun and a weaponlight with a pressure switch.

We run exercises like these at our range to train our officers the proper use of the weaponlight. It's a great piece of equipment, but like many other pieces of kit in our business; if used improperly, it can get you killed.

Stay safe and happy shopping!

HEDP

Enlightened
I would suggest an X300 with a DG pressure switch.

At my department's range, I've seen shooters with weaponlights on their handguns use one of two techniques to activate their weaponlight. They either use their trigger fingers to press the toggle switch on the back of their lights (a tragedy waiting to happen), or they use a thumb or a finger from their support hand to to activate the light (better, but not optimum).

That's why I successfully campaigned to have all of our issued Glocks be equipped with X300 weaponlights with DG-11 pressure switches.

A DG pressure switch allows the shooter to turn the light on and off without sacrificing either trigger operation or the use of the support hand.

Try doing these exercises:
  1. Emerge from behind cover, illuminate and identify your target, double tap, black out, and move to a different position (because your light is a bullet magnet).
  2. Illuminate and cover a hallway (or even a suspect) with your weaponlight while using your support hand to control a child or civilian. If a threat emerges, can you shoot, black out, and move without losing control of the one you're supposed to protect, and also without turning yourself into a walking lighthouse?
While doable with any handgun and any light (handheld or weaponlight), I think you'll find both exercises easier with a handgun and a weaponlight with a pressure switch.

We run exercises like these at our range to train our officers the proper use of the weaponlight. It's a great piece of equipment, but like many other pieces of kit in our business; if used improperly, it can get you killed.

Stay safe and happy shopping!

Thanks for all your advice guys. I was advised to get the Surefire because a few guys had problems with the Streamlights and had to send them in for repair......no such problem with the Surefire.

Is this the pressure switch your talking about?

SurefireX300-PressureSwitch.jpg

I have tiny hands, so I would always have to use the thumb of my support hand to manipulate the light.

I was thinking about getting that after-market switch.

Drjones

Enlightened
Surefire X300.

They make top-notch stuff, but most importantly, they backup their products 100%.

The one time I had an issue with my L4 tailcap, they sent out a new cap completely free of charge.

SF may be a little more expensive than other products out there, but do you *really* think you will be happy that you skimped on equipment that you are going to trust your life to?

A SF X300 is on my "short list" for one of my pistols.......

Drjones

Enlightened
How much does that DG pressure switch cost?

Is it an original SF product?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just say one thing regarding rated Lumens. Surefire tends to under rate the Lumen output on most of their lights. And the difference between the first two mentioned would be barely noticeable if they were the actual output. Surefire X300 is very probably your best choice between these IMO.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SF X200A and an Insight M3X I like them both but I use the Insight more often on my Glock. I really can't tell you why I prefer the Insight but I have never had a problem with either.

HEDP

Enlightened

Wow, it seems a lot of yes's for both the Insight and the Surefire.

I have really small hands, would the DG-11 Pressure Switch work well with them?

Is it pretty easy to manipulate the DG-11 Pressure Switch (after market one) when using your pistol?

Kato

Enlightened
I have really small hands, would the DG-11 Pressure Switch work well with them?

Is it pretty easy to manipulate the DG-11 Pressure Switch (after market one) when using your pistol?

I have small hands too, and I have no problem using the DG-11.

The pressure pad is situated under the middle finger of your weapon hand as you grip the handgun. You grip the handgun like you normally would, with your fingers wrapped around the grip. You grip a bit harder to activate the light; you release your grip a bit to deactivate the light. Your fingers never move from their normal positions. Simple.

Some users have found that they activate the light a bit too easily, especially when drawing and presenting your gun. If that happens to you, just practice the action while easing off the grip a bit with your middle finger. White light AD's are dangerous. Practice, practice, practice.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry and use an X-300 for patrol. I've trained with it also. It's been soaked in the ocean and bumped into things and never had a problem.

I don't know anything about other weaponlights.

HEDP

Enlightened
I have small hands too, and I have no problem using the DG-11.

The pressure pad is situated under the middle finger of your weapon hand as you grip the handgun. You grip the handgun like you normally would, with your fingers wrapped around the grip. You grip a bit harder to activate the light; you release your grip a bit to deactivate the light. Your fingers never move from their normal positions. Simple.

Some users have found that they activate the light a bit too easily, especially when drawing and presenting your gun. If that happens to you, just practice the action while easing off the grip a bit with your middle finger. White light AD's are dangerous. Practice, practice, practice.

It'd be nice if there was a master switch on the light, so once you drew your gun you could turn it on and then the DG-11 Pressure Switch would work.

Your right, it is your life, spending a little extra money is a wise investment.

Doru

Newly Enlightened
I compared the Surefire against the TLR-1. I'm a huge Surefire fan, and wanted to use their product, but I liked the beam (throw/spill) and really liked the switch much more than the Surefire. Price vs. Price, I think the Streamlight is a better option.

As a result, I run two TLR-1's on two different weapons. Never had a problem with either. I'm not beating them up, but use them on duty.

A friend runs an Insight. He had an issue with it staying on the rail. The light was pretty good, and the strobe feature is nice.

None are bad. Just thought I'd put a good word in for the Streamlight.

HEDP

Enlightened
I compared the Surefire against the TLR-1. I'm a huge Surefire fan, and wanted to use their product, but I liked the beam (throw/spill) and really liked the switch much more than the Surefire. Price vs. Price, I think the Streamlight is a better option.

As a result, I run two TLR-1's on two different weapons. Never had a problem with either. I'm not beating them up, but use them on duty.

A friend runs an Insight. He had an issue with it staying on the rail. The light was pretty good, and the strobe feature is nice.

None are bad. Just thought I'd put a good word in for the Streamlight.

So you liked almost everything more about the Streamlight?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
This needs to be answered before a light can even be thought upon.

Which light bearing holster do you own or plan to buy? Unless you will buy any holster that will fit the light you decide this isn't a problem.

If you own a light bearing holster and don't want to buy another we can find one that fits.

Keep in mind, the Serpa light bearing holster only fits the Blackhawk light.

Plus, don't buy it. It has a large gap between the pressure tab and the body, which allows too much debris and has been proven to get jammed.

I only like the Serpa non light holster and therefore cannot use a weapon light :(

Blackhawk plans on fixing the light bearing holster problem so if you are interested in it, and don't mind the Blackhawk light, wait for the new updated holster to come out.