Is there a budget light forum?

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but it would be nice to have a forum to discuss budget lights..

Whether they be from Walmart, kmart..
Whether they be from DX..
Whether they be from KD..
Whether they be from ****'s Sporting Goods,
or Gander Mountain.. (In which neither could I find any decent ones, BTW. And I was trying to find a LiteFlux at the time. ;-)

It would be nice to have a place where the price of a flashlight didn't automatically seem put it into BessieBenny's overcrowded thread.

Where one could search, using the Google search on top of every page, for a term like 'Ultrafire A10' and not come into a bunch of 'BessieBenny..." results and have to review each and every result for one or two posts on it in each and every part.

I've recently seen the addition of many countless sub-forums - for example, in the battery section.. So maybe I'm missing something.

This forum seems to focus on flashlights, so why not a special area for us cheapies???? :thinking:

Forgive me if I'm treading on a sensitive topic, but I just don't understand. Maybe there already is a forum for budget lights and I'm not finding it..??

Am I clueless or just wishful thinking?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think they get covered pretty well here. At least 90% of the lights I talk about might be considered budget, as I understand the concept of being a "cheapie". Generally if a light is worth considering, irregardless of price, it'll pop up in the General, LED, or Reviews forum. Not sure where you'd draw the line for inclusion in a separate budget forum.

Geoff

Empath

Flashaholic
Why a budget light forum? Why not a premium light forum?

The line is difficult to define easily. For some, a $20 light is a premium light, and for some a $100 light is a budget light.

Instead, why don't we make forums broken down into price categories like the following?

Less Than $5.00 Lights forum
$5.00 to $10.00 Lights forum
$10.00 to $20.00 Lights forum
$20.00 to $50.00 Lights forum
$50.00 to $100.00 Lights forum
$100.00 to $300.00 Lights forum
Greater than $300.00 Lights forum

NOT!

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened

Actually, an argument could easily be made for both of them. That might be something to consider.
Although, as you say, the line could be hard to draw.
Maybe a DX/KD-only forum. :) Considering how many people seem to buy lights from those two, it might be worth it IMO and not at all unreasonable. That way, people can discuss spectacular lights for the money, as well as any possible spectacular failures of those lights!! :laughing: Then we can also learn how to fix and/or modify any broken ones.

The main reason I brought this up was because of soo many threads about DX lights that seem to end up lumped in BessieBenny's thread - and thereafter seem to be hard to follow.

I kinda don't want to post anything about a DX/KD light in the LED forum, because it might get bunched into BB's thread. I've read that many CPF'ers are sick of seeing things go wrong about DX lights.. Hence, I get the feeling that DX lights are a kind of taboo around here.

Maybe it's an unfounded fear, I dunno.. But a fear, nonetheless.
It's all about the vibes, man - the vibes!:poke:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
A "KD/DX/eBay Light" subforum is actually a decent idea. That would by default cover probably 90% of the "budget" lights that often crowd the regular forums.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
more sub forums. hmm yes.

1.cheap light forum. for lights considered to be on weaker quality or much lower priced lights than the "normal" manufacturers models. current money limit imo should be in line of under 40 for single dies and 60 for multidie lights.

2. current led forum concentrating for 40 to 200$ lights. with threads of more " better quality" lights.

3. big money forum for over-the-counter lights beyond +200.

one forum that i also wonder about is Custom B/S/T. it is a sale forum. it should be in marketplace just like other salethreads!

and. i too dislike the way how pretty much every thread and post made about flashlights sold by dealextreme and kaidomain get moved to bessiebennys thread.

great thread (thanks BB)
but 1. its TOO big and confusing to find the info as is.
2. in my mind it is supposed to be a REVIEW thread! not general discussion of cheap flashlights.

if pretty much every question and discussion about a flashlights sold by DX/kd is considered OK to be moved into one thread...

then why there is different way of treating flashlights sold by other retailers?

why there is not a similar ONE thread for ALL fenix/nitecore etc lights sold by 4-7s (or lighthound or batteryjunction etc)?

just cram all fenix threads in there.. and fill 20 pages in few days!
-and then go try to find your post there and follow the discussion and replies that you got for your particular question! (your Q is post 74, A is post 104, A no.2 is 189, your reply is post 266.. and then moved to thread 2 and page 2.. you get the point)

it is just double morality in my mind.
rather would like to see a budget flashlights forum.

and would also be great if someone would clean up all the "stupid" questions and discussions NOT about the reviews of the lights, away from bessies thread too to their separate threads.

something like
1.all old posts about p7 and mce lights.
2. same thing for aa/cr lights.

and/or by separating them by manufacturers, ultrafire, romisen etc.

would make it easier to browse thru.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
and. i too dislike the way how pretty much every thread and post made about flashlights sold by dealextreme and kaidomain get moved to bessiebennys thread.

Well, it's not just threads about DX/KD flashlights, either -- a thread about using a DX 52mm aspheric with a Maglite (a brand I'm rather sure neither DX nor KD sells... :)) got tossed in there. :shakehead

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Try a search on BessieBenny's budget and see what you come up with. I have come across this one a few times and there is a large spreadsheet of information on the thread. SelfBuilts reviews are fantastic but I am not sure they fall within the price points that you are looking for.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but it would be nice to have a forum to discuss budget lights..
Forgive me if I'm treading on a sensitive topic, but I just don't understand. Maybe there already is a forum for budget lights and I'm not finding it..??

Just go to the "Flashlights" section and dive into whatever strikes your fancy. Anything that is man-portable and produces light winds up in there eventually. If you're mechanically inclined, even just a little, you will see discussions of upgrade paths for common (and cheap) lights. These will probably give you the most result for the least money. Pick up a likely looking host at a garage sale and away you go...

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Well, that's fine and dandy, But it doesn't address the problems of trying to search about a light that gets thrown into the BB thread. (Thanks BB for all you've done and continue to do!)

I'm trying to ask for a 'DX/KD/Ebay'-type forum in the nicest way I can think of - as well as trying to find out if other people find interest in the same thing. And there seems to some interest.

Like NonSenCe says, there seems to be a double-standard when it comes to budget lights in the main forum. And I agree.

Hey - we're only talking about flashlights here - not national security.

I'd just like to make this suggestion on improving this forum that we have all come to love and enjoy - to make it even more enjoyable. I don't want to break anything apart.

But then, maybe that St Patty's beer has affected me too much!:devil:

Just trying to help this forum be the best that it can be.. I hope I'm not causing any hard feelings. :buddies:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The DX forums and individual item Q&A discussions are very informative. The DX www masters do not edit out negative product reviews/comments either.

DX products can be discussed openly here, so long as you don't copy-paste the product URL link in the thread. Just specify the SKU number instead, and the discussion is fair game.

Last edited:

jusval

Enlightened

The line is difficult to define easily. For some, a $20 light is a premium light, and for some a $100 light is a budget light.

Instead, why don't we make forums broken down into price categories like the following?

Less Than $5.00 Lights forum
$5.00 to $10.00 Lights forum
$10.00 to $20.00 Lights forum
$20.00 to $50.00 Lights forum
$50.00 to $100.00 Lights forum
$100.00 to $300.00 Lights forum
Greater than $300.00 Lights forum

NOT!

The EMPATH LIGHT FORUM :kiss:

Broken down to Dollar Value Sub-forums

I Like that!!!:crackup: