Arc AAA vs. Arc LS - 2.6 times the $... bright

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtice

Flashaholic
OK,,,, I really like the Arc AAA. And REALLY like the Arc LS, naturally.

But, I really dont have the $$$ to dish out for the LS. I understand the amount of quality put into this unit. And how they select better led's... but...

Here's MY bottom line. --- The LS is about 2.6 times more expensive... BUT... does it put out 2.6 times the light?

I know that the LS has one more thing on its side... the fact that it can be modified, like the 2 AA adapter. But, for me, with my finacial situation,, I dont think it will be worth it.

SO...... in conclusion ...... if I cant afford an Arc LS... is the Arc AAA the best second choice?

P.S. This site kicks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much butt !!! All of you guys are GREAT !!!

Dave Wright

Enlightened
The LS is about 10 times brighter.

The 2 lights fill different needs. The AAA is an excellent keychain light - always ready for when you didn't expect to need a light. The AAA does not, however, function like a typical old fashioned flashlight. It puts out a nice flood of light, but with very little throw. It works best when used in dark conditions after your eyes have adjusted.

The LS gives incandescent lights a run for their money. Serious throw with a nice even beam.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
If you are sticking to LED lights:

Arc LS seconds (might even get an LSH-P...) are $60 + shipping.

Second best might be BB400/Q3L or MM+/Q3L for a minimag. ($45, +5 kroll switch). (See the BB400/MM threads)

Then maybe an everled in an appropriate light? (See the everled thread).

Then there are a whole slew of white LED lights... the Petzl and PT headlams, PT LED lights, CMG Infinity Ultra, Arc AAA, Opalec newbeam in a minimag.

It really depends on what you want... task light? throw? to read at night? to stash in the car? on the keychain?

jkthomson

Newly Enlightened
If you can't afford an ARC-LS, the "next best thing" would be one of the dat2zip dropins for the AA minimag that you probably have lying around.

much cheaper, but:

1. bigger
2. not as high quality
3. uses AA batteries, use rechargables and it is "free" to run.

the AAA has very good light output for its size, but the throw is a lot less compared to a LS.

jtice

Flashaholic
obeck.......

Where did you see the LS for $60? I keep seeing $100 or more !

Anyone know about the green Arc AAA's. This seems wierd that the green would be this much brighter.

aaat.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Arc AAA vs. Arc LS - 2.6 times the $... br

Jtice, if you want a small light with LS-like output, try a Princeton Tec Rage, which is a xenon (incandescent) light that costs about $10 and runs on four AA's. It's not as small as the Arc LS but because it's plastic, it weighs only a little bit more. You could also look at the UKE 2L at around $25, which runs on two 123's and is somewhat brighter than the LS. Again it's incandescent, so compared to an LS you'll get a yellowish beam and you'll have to replace the lamp every now and then. These are not as sexy as LED lights but they're highly functional.

As Dave says, the Arc AAA is for a different purpose, not for lighting up faraway objects but to carry on your keychain so you can find your way around in the dark. I don't know of any other light that's as good for the purpose. The basic alternatives are coin cell LED lights like the Photon, or incandescent lights like the Mag Solitaire. Both will have much less runtime and the Photon is far less durable than the Arc.

jtice

Flashaholic

I definately want something around the size of the Arc AAA, at the largest, the Arc LS.

I do understand that it is not going to throw light very far at all. But it should make a great keychain light, which is what I am looking for.

I will try to find the others that you mentioned paulr. But I dont want any incundesents, I'm addicted to LED's now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Anyone know about the green Arc AAA's. This seems wierd that the green would be this much brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The green arc AAA's are not in production anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif However, I got one on BST (just sent to me today actually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so I would be able to compare them and post my own pictures of them in a few days if you are interested.

gyverpete

Enlightened

The LS "seconds" Obeck mentioned are available here:
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/fasear.html
Arc Factory direct. $60. Didn't quite pass QC as first quality by ARC's tough standards. Many people, including myself, have gotten near perfect LS lights this way. Search the forum for experiences on these. It only comes with the clicky 123 lithium battery pack. The AA adapter is purchased separately though.

I have both the AAA & LS and as Dave says it's about 10 times brighter, so it's cost effective in that sense. It puts out almost twice as much light as my Minimag, and with white not yellow light. It's fully (or nearly so) current-regulated to maintain its brightness evenly over it's 2 hour burntime, and then runs at about AAA brightness for a few hours more (moon-mode). The AAA doesn't maintain its brightess nearly as evenly.

I'm also hooked on LED lights. Most incandescents don't interest me anymore. I like WHITE light.

I say save up $68 and get an LS Second. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

gyverpete.....

WOW!,,, I wasnt aware of this. That does sound good. Seeing how they say they will light up. I can live with alittle nick, or scratch,,,,, BUT.,,,,,

I wonder if any of them have led defects ??? Like the LEd not being centered, or not as bright as it should be.

Do you know if tthey always have those avalible? Say in a couple months from now? If the light output is the same, I might go for one,,, just wish I could get a LSH for sure rather than the LSL.

paulr

Flashaholic

If you want an AA powered light, try a 2AA Minimag with a Madmax or Badboy. It will cost you $50-60 if you buy everything new. They show up on BST sometimes too.

Arc LS seconds aren't always available, but they come and go. I suspect that a bunch appear whenever there's a new manufacturing run. So if there's none in a few months, just keep waiting.

Countycomm was selling the LSH for $70.00 but they ran out. Maybe they'll get some more sometime.

The LSH has a narrower beam (longer throw) than the LSL but conversely the LSL covers a wider angle, so there's reasons to prefer either one. I think I'd rather have an LSL but that's just me.

The Arc LS's are all way too big for a keychain light in any case. They're pocket lights, not keychain lights. If you want an LS that's closer to keychain size, take a look at the Firefly thread.

obeck

Newly Enlightened

I bought a seconds LSH-P off this BST topic for $82 shipped. It is really sweet, had nasty anodizing on the tail . The beam is very white.

I bought a seconds LS from ARC, and got an LS1. It has a perfect tail, but thin anodizing on the bezel... Its almost grey by comparison to the LSH-P. The light is not P... it has a Blue tint.

I put the perfect tail on the LSH-P, and the rough tail on the LS1. The LS1 ends up to be a really rough looking LS1, but it is the one I carry because I dont really have to worry about scratching it up!

On the whole, I ended up with a spot and a flood and I like that.

If I had a choice (you dont when you buy seconds from arc), I would pick a premium version before any other. IE. in order of preference: LSH-P, LSL-P, LSH, LSL

The BB Q3L from the sandwhich shop is very white.. like the LSH-P. It is definitely a minimag mod worth considering if you want a white LED, if you want to run cheap or rechargeable AA batteries (Surefire 123s are about 12 for $20 shipped, so if you have to save for the LS then you will have to save for batteries too, or you will have to purchase an AA tail... which is almost as much as the BB400/Q3L!).

stangster

Newly Enlightened

The answers to your questions are:

1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!
2. YES!

gyverpete

Enlightened

The seconds seem to be available more often than not, but since they are a byproduct of a desired goal in both manufacturing and quality control, the availability is unpredictable. Also the flaw(s) can be brightness, LED tint, scratches, or irregularities on anodizing or lens. I'm not sure about beam centering problems though. I think though that they sell only the ones in which the flaws are mild and nearly everyone that has posted their purchase results have said so. I'm happy with mine. You don't get to chose the model unfortunately. There is a 14 day moneyback guarantee so the most you could lose is the shipping cost.

BTW the green you refer to is actually the turquoise. Some dealers, and ARC may still have them in stock. It has been said that their extra brightness is due to the eye's greater sensitivity to that wavelength and the lack of phosphor, which while necessary to make white LEDs, does reduce its brightness.

BigMac

Enlightened

The eye is most sensitive to light at 555 nm (that is light adapted. I dont know dark adapted off the top of my head). 555 is right between blue and turquiose.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Comparing the Arc AAA to the Arc LS, is like comparing an Apple to a Coconut.

For something in between the AAA and LS, the PT Impact (4AA) or Impact 2 (4AAA) will do very nicely. Not keychain, but a nice, bright LED light with very decent throw.

For keychain: Arc AAA, most definitely!

Don't be put off by the price of the Arc LS, as it is easily worth its weight in gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts