Help dismantling the RC-N3

Lost in Translation

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the Romisen RC-N3 and was wondering how to take it apart to change out the Cree. I can take off the bezel with the reflector and glass but cant take out the ring that holds the emitter and the driver board. I've seen this done before but I can't see any way to get it off without mangling the threads.

Also, in the tailcap there is a piece of aluminium holding the switch in place. I want to put an o-ring in so that the torch can tail stand. I can see the holes which are used to screw in the aluminium ring however it is in quite tight and was wondering if it might be soldered in or something. Do i just need to use brute force unscrew it out?

Lastly, Is there a way to tell which emitter you have just by looking at it. IIRC, 3 bond wires means less than P4 and 4 bond wires means P4 or above but is there any other indicators that would tell me if i have, say a q5, or a p4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
To replace the cree emitter you will need a little expertise, I'll let somebody who had done the mod explain in detail.

Be sure not to touch the glass dome that covers the emitter as it can become dislodged easily and it can not be repaired well.
Lastly, Is there a way to tell which emitter you have just by looking at it.
There is no way of telling which emitter it has by looking at it. It is probably a P4 if from DX and a Q5 if bought from shiningbeam (if it states so on the body).

Lost in Translation

Newly Enlightened
I can't fit needle nose pliers into the retaining ring of the switch. The only thing that i could get in was some steel wire but all i managed to do is mangle up the sides of the holes.

I think that if i can get to the emitter i will have the skill to replace it but i just cant figure out how to get that ring out to get at the emitter.

Also, I didn't realise that the glass dome was so fragile! Though I've been pretty rough with my emitters I've never had any problems with the dome coming off. I guess i need to be more careful though.