UPDATED: Is it normal for a dealer to repair rather than replace when brand new?

Niconical

Enlightened
UPDATED - see post #21

I had a new flashlight arrive in the post, opened it up, and it was immediately obviously that there was a problem with it.

I'm not going into which flashlight and which dealer as I don't want to go off topic into why the flashlight is faulty, or what can be done to fix it. I'm most interested in finding out how dealers in general normally address such an issue.

So, I went though the obvious steps with the dealer, different batteries, clean, check, etc, the usual. The end result is no, we've established that the flashlight is faulty, and I'm sending it back.

What concerns me is that the dealer says that first a repair will be attempted, then if that isn't possible, a replacement will be sent.

Is that normal? I get a brand new flashlight, it has a fault, then I have to pay to send it back, and have it repaired rather than just getting what I paid for which is a new and working flashlight? I'm sure that a repaired one will be just as good as new, but that's not the point. If a fault developed at some time within the warranty, then I would think a repair is acceptable, but in this case it was faulty out of the package. I paid for new and working, what I'm getting is new, not working, and I'll have to pay then wait to see if I get fixed or new.

Am I expecting too much from a dealer, or should I stand my ground and insist on a new one and they can deal with any repair of the one I return on their own time?

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Is it normal for a dealer to repair rather than replace a brand new flashlight?

It depends on the dealer, and the problem.

Some dealers are just that, dealers. They get a product in, and resell at a profit. They may have little to no technical knowledge of what they are selling.

There are also dealers who have the ability to fully service some lights, and are knowledgeable and skilled enough to take one completely apart and put it back together again and no one be able to tell the difference.

Most obviously fall somewhere in between.

But it also depends on your problem. Faulty circuit board? Repair is unlikely, and a replacement head, or entire light is in order. Faulty clicky switch? A repair is very likely, as it is just a matter of swapping it out with a new one.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it normal for a dealer to repair rather than replace a brand new flashlight?

I've never seen a dealer (of any product other than something like a car) repair a brand new item. It's always been an exchange for new replacement, as that is what you paid for.

It's my personal opinion that any dealer that sells repaired items at full price (effectively the same as the aforementioned situation) is a cheat. I'm not saying that this applies to all cases, but the fact remains, you're paying for brand spanking new, so what you receive should be just that.

Seiko

Newly Enlightened

In the case of the dealer also being an authorized repair center, of course they will attempt to fix the light rather then replace it. Because they are the ones that will end up fixing it anyhow. If they just swap it out they will now will have a "used" light that they cant now sell as new.

That is from the dealers perspective. Of course as a customer, we hate to have to have something arrive DOA and not get an immediate replacement. If it was me, I'd complain.

Dan FO

Enlightened

If the dealer is an authorized factory repair facility I don't see anything wrong with it.

Niconical

Enlightened

Thank you all for the replies. :)

I was supposed to send it back yesterday, but I've spent 24 hours or so wondering if the situation was right, hence this thread. I was thinking along the lines of what Tekno Cowboy wrote, in that you pay for new, you expect new, and any problem with something that needs repair isn't your problem.

However, writing it all out then reading the other replies as well leads me to think that it all comes down to 'do I trust the dealer?', and in this case I do, so I'll just send it off to them and let them deal with it as they see fit.

This was the first flashlight I've had a problem with and had to return to this or any dealer, so hopefully it will all go smoothly and I'll soon have a fully functioning flashlight back with me.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alot of "repairs" likely consist of putting the battery in the right way or tightening something a few turns, something the end user might easily miss and assume the flashlight is defective. In those cases it makes more sense to just perform a quick fix and send it back, as they can't really sell it as "new" to someone else, and I'm sure that they would rather not deal with factory warranty replacement if it's something they can fix in 10 seconds.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only way I can see that happening is if it was a custom built light. If not, they might also be saying that just to get it back and see if there really is a problem with it or if its user error.

In a related manner, I once bought a DVD player from a best buy, got it home, and it did not work. I foolishly bought their extended warranty on the item as well.

Well when I took it back the next day, they were about to just take it and have me get a new one off the shelf, and then they saw that I bought the warranty. They immediately said that their procedure for warranty items was to send it to their repair facility and have them diagnose it, and fix it if they could. That process would take a minimum of 1 week (and maybe 2-3 weeks), and then if they couldn't fix it I got a new one. I got pretty mad, especially since the guy in front of me had the same one, his didn't work, and they sent him off with a new one... I had to escalate to a manager and ended up getting a refund for the player and warranty and buying from another store.

But anyway, I'd say if its a good dealer, and the light is defective, you'll be getting a new one. They just want to make sure it really is broke before they just send another one out.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I paid for a brand new working item, it should be a brand new working item. Not a repaired one. Period.

Ty4752

Newly Enlightened

I had a same situation, new flashlight arrived, opened it up, and it was immediately obviously that there was a problem with it.

Try different batteries (some work fine and some have problem), clean, check, everything possible for about a week. The same result.

I called the store, and I'm sending it back. So now I wonder if I get a new replacement or the repaired one.

It is ok, if they send back the repaired, but I can't help feeling that I paid for a new flashlight and get a repaired one.

Last edited:

sylathnie

Enlightened

Warranty is not a replacement for quality control.
I believe that if you received an item that was faulty they should ship a new one to you immediately. If they want the faulty unit back they can ship a box and a return sticker with it. I don't even have a problem putting a credit hold in place for that advance replacement.
Now there are two problems with the above of course. Greedy people looking for "Warranty" replacements just to get another light and high dollar large items. (Car, Laptop, Etc.) Those I think just need to be taken care of as painlessly as possible.

I'm working with one of these myself right now. I think it's ridiculous to ask me to ship an item back that I just purchased. I even provided photos and a short video of the problem I was experiencing. I have recently had two faulty lights. One dealer shipped me a replacement immediately, the other sent me a shipping address along with a disclosure that they would not be responsible for items lost during the RMA process. :ohgeez:Guess which lights I'm going to be buying again.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened

My reaction would depend on the nature of the problem and its possible solution. Flashlights are modular in nature, and if the problem was isolated to one defective component (the switch, for example) and the "repair" was to replace the entire component, or the module that contained that component (i.e., replace the switch, or just swap out the tailpiece for an entirely new one), then I'd be happy with that. The same thing might conceivably have happened at the factory: final inspection reveals the problem, the defective component is replaced, and the light (which is new, despite the rework) is sold to me. In this case, that's what should have happened, and the defective light should never have gone out the door in that condition. I do think the manufacturer should bear any cost of sending the light back for repair/replacement. And if I were the dealer, I'd probably do something to make up for my customer's inconvenience.

seale_navy

Enlightened

well, if there is a problem with the flashlight, and the dealer intend to repair it, the best way to do it, is just to return it and get back ur money.

U have every single right to do so by repudiating the contract between you and the dealer in regards to the defective product.

and usually dealer are not capable or able to repair a light. it may void the warranty. the best way is to return it though. and use that money to buy a new one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

It's just easier for a Dealer to replace a light. If it needs fixing, it's just easier to send the light back to the company; and have one of their trained technicians do the job.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened

Warranty is not a replacement for quality control.
I believe that if you received an item that was faulty they should ship a new one to you immediately. If they want the faulty unit back they can ship a box and a return sticker with it. I don't even have a problem putting a credit hold in place for that advance replacement.

absolutely. i tried to do this with a dealer that sent me a defective light, but he refused and in my rush to get the bad light back to him i had my wife mail it for me. she didn't think to get tracking info and my light got "lost in the mail". i'll never buy from this guy again.

Dan FO

Enlightened

Buy the dealer, not the light.

I watch a lot of people search the net trying to find the cheapest deal and not the best deal.

The cheapest dealer on the net doesn't have to worry about service because people will still deal him because he is CHEAP. He can just tell you to deal with the manufacturer who issued the warranty and just happens to be in China.

I deal with dealers who don't have the best price on the net just for that reason.

Some that I can recommend.

Lighthound
Unique Titanium
4 Sevens
Bug Out Gear
Bright Guy

Marduke

Flashaholic

I watch a lot of people search the net trying to find the cheapest deal and not the best deal.

I've been trying to impart that little piece of knowledge for quite a while on CPF.

I see far too many people coming back with a reply of "But I can save $0.75 off this $60 light from buying from this guy on eBay who has a excellent 95% review rating...."

:shakehead

I wish you better luck than I have had.

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The cheapest dealer on the net doesn't have to worry about service because people will still deal him because he is CHEAP. He can just tell you to deal with the manufacturer who issued the warranty and just happens to be in China.

I deal with dealers who don't have the best price on the net just for that reason.

Some that I can recommend.

Lighthound
Unique Titanium
4 Sevens
Bug Out Gear
Bright Guy
I'll add Pacific Tactical Supply to that list. Mike's a great guy to work with :D

GreySave

Enlightened

If I received a light that was DOA.....Unless it was an obviously very simple repair.....I would expect a new light, not a repaired light.

I also agree with the trusted dealer list, and I would add OpticsHQ to that list based upon my experiences with them.