Metal components of Lumapower MRV SK?

HEDP

Enlightened
I just recently purchased a Lumapower MRV SK v1.1.

I need to engrave my name into this light and am wondering where the best spot to do it is. I thought the light was all aluminum, but it may have steel components in it and those would rust if I engraved in it.

I obviously want to engrave a spot on the light that won't rust.

I'm was figuring the middle where it's black (but it looks like steel) and has the words Lumapower on one side, MRV SK on the other, and then two sides that are blank. I was going to engrave the flat portions that have no writing on them.

Here you can see the wording in this pic: There are 4 sides, two have wording, two are blank. The blank sides are where I was going to engrave. (However, if it is steel, then it would rust, and I don't want to do that.)

So here's the flashlight, this pic shows the side with the letters, which is "A".

LumapowerMRV1-Finished.jpg

Here is the other side, the flat part "A" that I was thinking about engraving, until Gunner12 said that it has an HA coating that may chip and look bad.

LumapowerMRV3-Finished.jpg

I am now thinking about engraving "B", which seems to be some type of metal, someone said brass perhaps, that has No Coating, and could thus be the best part to engrave.

LumapowerA-Finished.jpg

What do you think?

Where would you engrave on the light?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's an aluminum light from what I know.

From what I hear it might be better to laser etch because anodizing chips.

HEDP

Enlightened
It's an aluminum light from what I know.

From what I hear it might be better to laser etch because anodizing chips.

That's if I engraved the head right?

If I engraved the black part, which is just paint, it would be fine and would not need laser etching, right?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you want to engrave this light. I know you had doubts about buying this light. If you plan on selling in the future it may lower the value of the light.

HEDP

Enlightened
Are you sure you want to engrave this light. I know you had doubts about buying this light. If you plan on selling in the future it may lower the value of the light.

Yeah, I have too. And I won't sell it, and it will get beat up. Its for police work. So its expected.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Al itself is fine with engraving, but the HA coating on it won't be. As you engrave it, the HA coating will probably chip and it might not look as good as you want it to.

I know the older MRVs had a brass center piece in silver(?) paint or something.

It's rare to see Al lights painted. The coating is anodizing(for Al, that would be aluminium oxide), which grown on the Al and isn't sprayed onto it. The different ratings are for the different toughness and thickness of the anodizing.

HEDP

Enlightened
Al itself is fine with engraving, but the HA coating on it won't be. As you engrave it, the HA coating will probably chip and it might not look as good as you want it to.

I know the older MRVs had a brass center piece in silver(?) paint or something.

It's rare to see Al lights painted. The coating is anodizing(for Al, that would be aluminium oxide), which grown on the Al and isn't sprayed onto it. The different ratings are for the different toughness and thickness of the anodizing.

Thanks. I updated the original thread, tell me what you think about engraving "B", which is what I'd call the barrel. Or what part you would engrave.