What's the "Next Big Brand" Ya Think?

What brand do you think will be the next "big brand" in say a year or two?

What do I mean like big brand? I don't know...maybe getting a lot of Fenix owners to start to flock to this "new brand"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Umm, if the brand isn't out yet, how would we know what it is?

If everybody keeps and improves quality, output, and durability, then the new brand would have to do a lot to get enough attention.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Zebralight. Their lineup is small right now, but starting to expand. The construction quality seems good(VERY good, based on my sample of one), and the lights well thought out. I like the practicality, which extends to the accessories, and the lack of gimmickry crap.
Would love to see some "regular" flashlights built just like their headlamps, but with a shrouded tailcap switch and the emitter on the end, plus the same in reflectored versions with more conventional beams.

PetaBread

Enlightened
LiteFlux (?)

They got like 4 lights right now, but i find their lights better (overall) than

most foreign companies.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the Icon stuff will be the next trendy light around here - especially for beaters, loaners, and gifts.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is any "big" company, surefire and streamlight make up the big military issue type lights and the asian brands all make affordable EDC type lights and a few "tactical" lights.

You buy for what you need it for, brands have their own designs, and edc lights are a crapshoot honestly, there are just so many companies offering literally the same product.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that brands we know of will get into the l.e.d. flashlight market more. By brands we know of, I mean Energizer, Rayovac, Coleman, Dewalt, Leatherman, etc. Energizer is coming out with decent headlights and has flashlights with infinitely variable brightness and updated l.e.d.s. Rayovac has a 300 lumen l.e.d. lantern for $30. Coleman has 500+ lumen l.e.d. lanterns and spotlights and ultralight l.e.d. headlights. Dewalt is using Cree XR-Es in their lights. Leatherman is rebranding Fenix lights. These are companies that nonflashaholics know of, and with decent quality products at reasonable prices, in brick and mortar stores, so I think they'll gain market share in the near future.

My only concern is that once the masses get a hold of these cheap, bright lights, that one dumb person will start shining their light in people's eyes and cause laws to be made to limit the brightness of flashlights sold. It only takes one person doing something stupid to ruin it for the rest of us.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
My only concern is that once the masses get a hold of these cheap, bright lights, that one dumb person will start shining their light in people's eyes and cause laws to be made to limit the brightness of flashlights sold. It only takes one person doing something stupid to ruin it for the rest of us.

I really hope this doesn't happen. It's possible though. They were thinking of banning HID headlights here. Not to mention back in the day when red laser pointers got really cheap they got banned in schools and a law was passed saying you couldn't purchase one unless you were 18 or older. Scary stuff. I'd hate to see led's break 500lumens in small flashlights only to be told we couldn't own or use them.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that brands we know of will get into the l.e.d. flashlight market more. By brands we know of, I mean Energizer, Rayovac, Coleman, Dewalt, Leatherman, etc. Energizer is coming out with decent headlights and has flashlights with infinitely variable brightness and updated l.e.d.s. Rayovac has a 300 lumen l.e.d. lantern for $30. Coleman has 500+ lumen l.e.d. lanterns and spotlights and ultralight l.e.d. headlights. Dewalt is using Cree XR-Es in their lights. Leatherman is rebranding Fenix lights. These are companies that nonflashaholics know of, and with decent quality products at reasonable prices, in brick and mortar stores, so I think they'll gain market share in the near future.

You raised a few good points.

One of the largest intangible asset in a well-known company's balance sheet is the brand name. They've already establish consumer awareness so pushing out another product to the market is not going to be difficult in comparison to a unknown company. Consumers aren't concerned about whether DeWalt makes good flashlights or not, they just know DeWalt makes good tools. We should expect to see more rebranding of flashlights that only flashaholics are familiar with in the near future.

Regarding to banning high-output flashlights. I could see some kids flashing their lights at cars on the highway and causing accidents. We're reaching a new level of paranoia. I've read articles of people getting arrested for carrying concealed knives. However, it's not the large folding knives or automatic knives. One guy got arrested for carrying a traditional non-locking stockman pocketknife. Another guy got arrested for carrying a folding box cutter. The arresting officer claimed that it was a "gravity" knife! The guy works at warehouse where he needs a box cutter for his job.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
........ I've read articles of people getting arrested for carrying concealed knives. However, it's not the large folding knives or automatic knives. One guy got arrested for carrying a traditional non-locking stockman pocketknife. Another guy got arrested for carrying a folding box cutter. The arresting officer claimed that it was a "gravity" knife! The guy works at warehouse where he needs a box cutter for his job.

That really is disheartening!! It reminds me of a time, a few years back that my wife dropped me off at the emergency entrance at O'Dark 30 as I was doubled over in pain from a kidney stone. I had barely climbed into my pants and shirt prior to the trip to the hospital. There was a metal detector at the entrance and I had my cargo pockets full of some stuff that could have been construed as potential weapons like a folding box cutter, auto center punch, 6" SS rule and what have you. I was bent over and looked up at the security guard and told him he could have my F'ing clothes and I would remove them right there if he wanted me to. I just wanted into the hospital!

In terms of the next big brand, I agree that known brands will be embracing the LED flashlights more and more. I also think that with PK at the helm of ICON and SF behind them, ICON might well become a new presence in flashlights and one that could bridge the present gap between the general market and the consumer base that is more in the know (CPF and some of the other knife and EDC forums).

JRA240

Newly Enlightened
the way it looks it would be a come back from a company with alot of changes

it would be nice for surefire to put out a real nice line

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think EagleTac will be the next big brand. They make rapid improvements to lights. It does not take long for them to incorporate suggestions into designs. I like that they don't reinvent the wheel every time they come out with a new model. Rather than redesigning everything, they keep the best parts while continually making improvenents to their design and quality. I also like EagleTac's price to performance ratio.

JamisonM

Enlightened
While I don't have high hopes, I'm still intrigued as to what maglite will be releasing this year. I've heard some new stuff should be coming out. They have a multi-mode minimag and their new rebel mags, but only the new minimags are an improvement IMO.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I don't know but Maglite seems to be the big fat elephant in the middle of the living room that everyone seems to forget. In my opinion maglite is the king out there.
Most people that I know who have a flashlight have a maglite. I myself have about 15 of them, some I have bought and others were given to me.
I have yet to meet anyone who uses a Surefire. I know a lot of Military and law enforcement officers and still no Surefire to be seen. Sure a lot of them know about the brand but they themselves don't use it for whaever reason. Out here in Orange County (home to Surefire) the Sheriff's department uses some big incan flashlights. I think that they are streamlights. I'm sure that a few of them have a Surefire tucked in somewhere but I have yet to see one.
So what will the next big brand be? Who knows right after maglite I have seen Streamlight as the more popular "tactical" light. Surefire might come in as a third.