Using your Nokia 5800 as a LED flashlight

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! :wave:

I hope this is the right part of CPF to post this...

Anyway, for those of you who have got a Nokia 5800 xpressmusic phone, you can use it as a flashlight too!
Here is a freeware application, called PhoneTorch, that enables us to use the 2 LED lights on the phone (which are used for picture-taking) for illumination:
http://dev.meh.at
It even allows the user to send Morse code messages, you just type what you want and it flashes the code.
The developer plans to make it available for other devices as well, in the future, like N96.

The phone wields a nice floody light which I found useful in some situations (like cinema, for ex).

Hope you like it. :)

Last edited:

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
i always did that when i had a phone with a flash just by going into camera mode. (i had a samsung d600)

having an actual app is awesome though, since going into camera mode and turning on the flash is a little annoying, worse was the fact that it turned off every few minutes

moviles

Enlightened
the phone with leds most powerful: the old se k750 i
er5hl.jpg

its a great flashlight

wingnutLP

Enlightened
same thing exists as freeware for all windows mobile phones and crapberrys

It is very handy but I still carry an LOD :D

jslappa

Enlightened
Some of the better camera phones have the xenon flash. Those produce the better soft white light. N82 comes to mind. My N95 does all right with its one LED, but I sure wish it was a xenon flash.

bhvm

Newly Enlightened
I love sony's Phones.
They're faster,practical...and their function works!

I own an N73...pretty weak flash...nor can it be used as Video light or torch!

Oh hell! Even a 30k rs N95 can't work as Torch!!

Kurzon

Newly Enlightened
Is this healthy for the device? The flash was only meant to be used in flashes. Why didn't Nokia put in a flashlight app in the first place?

PhSy

Newly Enlightened
Is this healthy for the device? The flash was only meant to be used in flashes. Why didn't Nokia put in a flashlight app in the first place?
Many phones have a LED flash which is also used natively (by Nokia,Samsung,Sony) in video mode. So I dubt that a tool like PhoneTorch harms the flashlight (without warranty). I have run the light for more than 30 minutes multiple times without problems.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone! :wave:

I hope this is the right part of CPF to post this...

Anyway, for those of you who have got a Nokia 5800 xpressmusic phone, you can use it as a flashlight too!
Here is a freeware application, called PhoneTorch, that enables us to use the 2 LED lights on the phone (which are used for picture-taking) for illumination:
http://dev.meh.at
It even allows the user to send Morse code messages, you just type what you want and it flashes the code.
The developer plans to make it available for other devices as well, in the future, like N96.

The phone wields a nice floody light which I found useful in some situations (like cinema, for ex).

Hope you like it. :)

Lucky you mobile phones in a UK cinema are no no items and morse code went out years ago as a distress system.:poof:

csa

Enlightened
Yeah, since the LED is used in continuous mode for video, I doubt this use seriously harms it. Might still be over-driven, but these phones are garbage in 2 years anyway...

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
hehe I have this program, fun app... however, ìt does tend to heat the device up if its left active with the light off, even if its in the background so its usefulness is a little reduced (since you have to access it then turn it on, not as instantaneous as you would like)

PhSy

Newly Enlightened
hehe I have this program, fun app... however, ìt does tend to heat the device up if its left active with the light off, even if its in the background so its usefulness is a little reduced (since you have to access it then turn it on, not as instantaneous as you would like)

If you are using PhoneTorch 2, then there is an option "Fast LED mode" under the settings. If you disable this mode, then everything is ok (less energy usage, no warming-up of device), but at the cost of a slightly higher delay when switching the light on.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
If you are using PhoneTorch 2, then there is an option "Fast LED mode" under the settings. If you disable this mode, then everything is ok (less energy usage, no warming-up of device), but at the cost of a slightly higher delay when switching the light on.
well fortunately for me (and unfortunately for the program), I picked up a TK-566 in december, then a D10 in February xD

jblackwood

Enlightened
My Sony Ericcson W810i was the best phone I ever had. This was before I had email and internet on my phone, but even then the call quality was the best. Not only that, SE made the light an instant function with the # key . . . or was it the *? Either way, one was the light, one was the silent mode. Don't get me started about how great that little 2 mp camera was and how much better it is than my HTC Touch Pro's 5 mp camera with the shutter lag from slowtopia. I miss that little guy!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

My friend had the W810i. Really amazing flashlight mode (flood with great tint, iirc). Yup, call quality and camera functions were great as well.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using your cell phone as a flashlight? Come on guys, this *is* CPF! Don't admit that here! :D

Shame, shame! :crackup:

Turn off your phones, get an EDC light, and carry it with you! ;)