Any issues running a KL4 on a 1x123 body?

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fan of my e1b, I find the two stage head akward. I have an extra L4 and was thinking of running the KL4 on it. Any issues I should be aware of?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rich, type "TW4" in the google searchbox up top. It's too short for the forum search engine.
How well your KL4 does will depend on the forward voltage of the LED itself.
I had one of the original TW4s that were hand-picked for low Vf, and my friend who posts here as "Robocop" has been using it for the last few years on a single cell body. It runs in regulation on a single R123, but it is not guaranteed that they all will.

edit: the TW stands for Tactical Warehouse. Dan@TW sold the combo of E1e body/KL4 together several years ago.

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened
My plan was a KL4, e1b body and e2d tailcap run by a primary.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output will be reduced with a primary, but runtime longer than a R123. Maybe an hour of diminishing brightness(?). It should still be very usable in low light. It'll only take you a minute to swap heads and see if it's suitable for your personal use.

btw, I didn't complete my thoughts before. I think they may all run in regulation with a R123, but the runtime will vary with Vf(some people got less than 20 min. while I think I got about 30).
I put that KL4 on a E2e body, and used it with a protected 17670 Li-ion most of the time that I had it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Just do it, if you are lucky it will run for hours on a primary, if not it should flicker within minutes. I had to buy 6 KL4 heads before finding 2 that were true TW4 primary cell running gems.

Two Lux V's with a nice low vf. :D

Bill

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
To impress the chicks, consider also feeding it with a CR2 battery.

g3.jpg

g2.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
thats not a vital gear body is it?

I want one but i have no idea what to search for :stupid:

Too bad AW's RCR2 cells are out of stock or i might consider something of that sort as running Primaries might be a bit...expensive

BSBG

Enlightened
thats not a vital gear body is it?

I want one but i have no idea what to search for :stupid:

Too bad AW's RCR2 cells are out of stock or i might consider something of that sort as running Primaries might be a bit...expensive

It's an Aleph CR2 body - Sandwich Shoppe has them.

OTJ14430

Newly Enlightened
Rverdi,

what you describe is one of my setups... with the exception of the e2d tailcap. I opted for the flared delrin tailcap :thumbsup:

20090324-pbwjuy9yfbk3hb3ji68m592xb1.jpg

Nathan

Enlightened
I EDC'd a TW4 for a while. I used a VG1 which I believe is the shortest body/tailcap out there. I ran mine on a primary or 3.7V RCR. The only issue I had is that with less mass in the body, the KL4 became hotter faster. It was a good hand warmer in the winter...