Surefire 8NX Commander

pahl

Enlightened
I will be receiving a New Surefire 8NX Commander in a few day's.
I would like to hear from others that have one or have had one before.
How much brighter will in be then the streamlight scorpion?
How long do the bulbs last?

Were is a good place online to get a belt holster for this flashlight?

I can't wait until it's here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only "good" flashlights I have ever had are the mag lights and the streamlight scorpion, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 8NX Commander will be like.

Thanks,

Thanks,

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could comment on the other things, but here goes my $0.02 while you're waiting for Al (Size15s) and others to chime in. (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif)

I have had an 8nx for 1.5 yrs. It has been amazingly reliable, and I've grown to like the Nitrolon for many uses more than aluminum (esp. such as clenching in teeth!)

My bulb lasted me for a year of frequent use for (1) walking back to a dimly-lit parking garage (2) many projects around the house (3) nighttime yard checks for kiddie toys, etc. When I finally found the bulb to be blown, I suspect my kids may have been a little too rough with it, but it had fallen off counters before without trouble.

On another note, the batteries that came with my light were defective and wouldn't hold a charge. This became a huge issue for 8nx owners, as many owners ended up with defective batteries and there was much speculation about what the problem actually was, which number codes stamped on the batteries associated good or bad, etc. Last month Surefire sent me a new set of batteries, no charge, and all I did was phone their customer service department as an anonymous 8nx owner. They sent out a shiny new set of 2 to me and they work wonderfully well. They provide the bright output for a long time (probably at least the spec of 50 minutes but I haven't timed it), and as for shelflife they hold their charge well for at least a month.

You may have missed the firestorm over the battery issue, or maybe you spotted that all's well and now's the time to snag an 8nx. I just wanted to mention it just in case you hadn't heard. And from that short story you can certainly glean how very happy I am with Surefire's customer service.

You're going to be fantastically happy with this light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 8NX lamp has lasted about 2 years so far.
had the same battery issue, have a new set that is only a little better. Might call them about it later. not really a bad light at all for the money. Wish it used a lock out type of tail clip though.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, same issues with me. Original batteries wouldn't hold a charge. Replacements only slightly if at all better. My brother with same light, the same symptoms as well. I wouldn't buy the light at this time because of this issue. I suppose I should contact Surefire yet again, but haven't yet.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I busted my original pair of B90's when I field-tested the 8NX. I've had six replacement B90's all of them duff. When I visited SureFire I dug around in the bottom of some guy's filing cabinet (not PK's) and found a few things of interest to be including an old B90 still wrapped. This is now one of three working B90's I share between my 8NX and two 9AN's.

In my experience, the 8NX has proven very tough and highly reliable. The lack of Pyrex lens doesn't bug me like the lack of a LockOut method. For this reason I do not carry the 8NX.

I'd buy another one - this time in yellow but I'm saving for the KL4 etc.

Al

pahl

Enlightened
I did not know about the battery problems. I hope this one will not have such problems.

I see the batteries are Ni-Cd.
Can you get a Ni-MH battery for it?

I'm still looking for some idea of how bright this light will be as I have no idea how bright 110 lum. is.

Will it be brighter then my 6 D mag flashlight or my streamlight scorpion?

Thanks for all the replies.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpian is in the 60 lumen area plus or minus.
The 8NX will be brighter and have a very nice focused light.

You'll be surprised.

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
Scorpian is in the 60 lumen area plus or minus.
The 8NX will be brighter and have a very nice focused light.

You'll be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scorpion is only around the 60 lumen area and the 8nx is 110 lumens, Wow

I won't be able to wait until night time to try it out when it get's here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's going to be a long weekend if the UPS truck does not make a stop at my house Friday afternoon.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I based my estimate on the Surefire G2 being listed at 65 lumens with a P60 lamp. The scorpion is very similar in output if prperly focused. It may or may not be slightly higher or lower in output. I have never measured one using proper equipment.

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
i got scorpion, and 9AN,
the beam is not really big different,
scorpion got a little spot (if you focused it)
and 9AN got a bigger spot.

but if you shoot to the ceiling at night, 9AN will light up my room quite bright. scorpion ... so so...

if my eyes not wrong (this only based on my roughly calculation :p )
if my 9AN is 140 lumens, scorpion will be about 70-90 lumens.
perhaps this will help you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif enjoy your 8NX!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The eyes play tricks as they adjust to cope as best they can with the light available. I find that light of a different intensity often appears to be more light but I've been surprised sometimes just how little light can be used to create an intense bright beam.

What's the big deal? Why not buy and run your own integrating sphere?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pahl

Enlightened
Well no UPS today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Size15s
That's a lot of flashlights in the photo on your post.
Have you ever turned them all on at the same time?

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen a glow in the eastern sky, not explained by sunrise?

If he did turn them all on at once, I bet NORAD would have a brief moment of excitment thinking it was a bloom from a missle launch.

What would it cost per minute, to keep them all running?

Size15's

Flashaholic
If anyone would like to continue this off-topic on my shelf of SureFire then please start a new thread.
I think about 7000 Lumens if all of them have HOLA's... (which they don't - most G2's have P60's)
I did switch them on all at once. The temperature in my room increased. Even at only $1.25 each that's a lot of SF123As being used!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Regarding your holster, try the Bianchi holster. Designed for the Streamlight Stinger it also happens to fit the 8NX like a glove.

pahl

Enlightened
Is there someplace online I can order the Bianchi holster?
What would the model number be for the Bianchi holster?

I'm sure I will want to carry it in a holster on my belt well out fishing and camping. I would like to get one ordered ASAP as my light should be here early next week.

Thanks for all the replies,

pahl

Enlightened
I think I found one that should fit it and it's the type I like with a open bottom and top.

BI18709

It's at the bottom of this page.
Link to holster

Do you think this one should work ok?
Has anyone ordered from this place before?
Would there be a better place to order from?

pahl

Enlightened
Got my surefire 8nx today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have lighted all the dark spots I can find. Now to wait for it to get dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Looks like a great light. The only problem I have is the box it came in. The box has photo's of there other lights on all 4 side's. They all look cool, but do I really need another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the info on the sheaths. I will have to get something ordered.

pahl

Enlightened
Are there any modifications that can be done to the Surefire 8NX Commander? Are there other batteries this light will run on?
What is the lens on my 8NX Commmander made out of? Could it melt if it gets to hot?

Sorry for all the questions,